Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
fxny12004

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Student Buying Yaris

Hey....I just stumbled into this great forum. Great Job to its creators and to its members, ive learned alot from just reading for a couple of hrs.. Anyways.....to the point.

I am soon to be a college freshmen entering college this august and im in want of a Yaris Sedan. i personally dont like the lb, as i think the sedans look way better (personal opinion). Well, i want a sedan with power windows, power door locks and the basics, like factory radio, power steering, A/C, etc.
nothing too fancy. Im not in need of cruise control or the folding rear seats. WHat would be the price for one equipped as i mentioned. I have looked all OVER the net for one, and i havent found one that i think is "reasonably priced" because im on a budget, since i will be buying, not financing or leasing, and i dont know what to do. Ive seen quotes on edmunds.com, kelly blue book, and NADAguides. and their prices never seem to change, or do not list prices for used yarises.

I was looking for some input on this and dire help is needed.

Other questions:

1. I live in south florida, in the palm beach area. Has anyone bought a yaris in my immediate area (South Florida: miami, Ft. lauderdale, Boca etc)?
If so, how much did you pay, considering invoice price, and what are some of the unexpected charges that were not included in your budget. (I know that there are some ridiculous south florida charges that are mandatory)

2.Now that we are nearing the end of the year, what are your recommendations as to approaching car demons, i mean dealers.
Should i be aggressive, passive, neutral? and how much has the car depreciated in value since it is almost the end of july, beginning of august?

3.Dealership Recommendations?

4.Is it better to buy a new yaris or used? what are the advantages, disadvantages, etc. (i only ask because i think i see no price difference in used/new yarises.)

5. Is it possible to find what i want for $14000 or less. And i mean 14000 as absoulte maximum. (not including the $200 bucks for tags, title)

I want to thank you all in advance for your help. and plz no flamerz, (havent seen one yet in the forums) If its not help related, dont even bother posting. :)
fxny12004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Well, I can't answer all of your answers but to give you an idea, go for a new yaris. There are very very few used yaris that I have seen since the yaris is so new in the U.S. and yes, there are basically very few differences in price. To give you an idea of a reasonable price, I saw someone get their LB on here for 12000ish.. forgot the exact number.. I got my LB with power options, convenience package, and all-weather package with about $13724. Now, the sedan is a bit more expensive than the LB. I say about 1000 more or so? But I could be wrong. Anyway, that's what I know of so far hehe. Good luck with everything. and enjoy college! cuz working life sucks.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Ah, Sherryberry, life only "sucks" when you aren't doing what you want to do; the next step is to remember that "Happiness is having what you want"...

One of the reasons the Yaris (or most Toyotas) don't change price very much is that they are worth what you pay, period. You can buy a Yaris for the short term and get excellent resale price on it, or you can run it into the ground and not lose a dime. I have owned and worked on Toyotas for a few decades now, and they are great cars. I expect no less from our Yaris.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
sherryberry

Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Ah, Sherryberry, life only "sucks" when you aren't doing what you want to do; the next step is to remember that "Happiness is having what you want"...
Thanks, yoda really though, yes it only "sucks" when you aren't doing what you want but first job out of college is rarely the one that you want to do.

OK, now back on track with the thread!!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
TLyttle

yoda? Hm. Comes with getting old, I guess. but I stopped doing "jobs that suck" when my old man died doing what he hated all his life.

I always find that the mental and physical time spent chasing down that "bargain" is often not worth it. You want it? Buy it. It won't be that big a bite on your account, really. You can spend all that time working on a "better mousetrap", supposedly what you went to college for in the first place.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
sherryberry

heh I know we're getting off track. I was gonna say Obi-Wan at first.. but yoda is the wiser one I also think the people that are at work also makes a difference as to if the job is good or bad. It can make a job you like become miserable if you have miserable company. Anywho, what do you do, TLyttle??

And to the original OP, sorry for jacking your thread
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
dimmunize

Drives: 2007 yaris S
well.. I live in vegas and the major production of all toyota's in the US are in long beach california, anyways, I was like you when I bought my Yaris-S, I wanted to get a few but not all the options, it turns out, there's only two options, power package and non power package, if you're looking at the type-S then you're looking at about $17,000 (the same price as a corolla-S) but you get a better looking lighter car if you stick with the Yaris-S.. For the type-S with no power package, you do get the power steering and AC and mp3 stock CD stereo with no power windows/door locks/mirrors/cruise, -sales price for around 14,000 but after they add on the taxes, it comes out to about 15,500 - 16,000 depends on your sales tax. Your better off getting the power package for 1,500 more.

Hope this helps.....
dimmunize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
TLyttle

I'm sorry too for the hijacking...

What do I do now? I retired a few years ago after a life of mechanical pursuits, mostly to do with designing equipment for production line work, and aids for the handicapped. I have no formal training in either discipline, but was successful just the same.

And that is my point: do what you really want to do; take no crap, do the best you can, live YOUR life, and drive your Toyota until it drops!