Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #91
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
^^^ +1 for custom manifold!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #92
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
so all I have to do is install the new throttle body, then either loosen up or tighten the idle screw?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #93
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeelo View Post
so all I have to do is install the new throttle body, then either loosen up or tighten the idle screw?
Yes. Install it, make sure the gasket is sealing properly and just loosen the idle screw to reduce the idle RPM's and tighten to increase. Make sure to chip away the resin on that screw before installation :)
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #94
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
Make sure to chip away the resin on that screw before installation :)
do I use A toothpick or a screwdriver to take it out?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #95
MedMantle

Quote:
do I use A toothpick or a screwdriver to take it out?
It's quite hard. I used a small flat-headed screwdriver and a hammer to tap at the resin "carefully" and to dig in it. Make sure to get it all off so the screw doesn't strip when you try to adjust it.

Maybe someone else knows a safer or easier way?? :P

And remember it is a Allen Key screw. It was quite difficult to source the correct one here where I live but everything is difficult to find over here :P
Old 07-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #96
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Thanks for the specific info medmantle👌 btw im using a CAI so do i need a specific intake hose adapter thingy like this one or could i uss the one that originally came with CAI?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hps_reducer_long_blue_10.jpg (11.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #97
scod4025

Drives: 12 LE 5d HB 1nz-fe Automatic
I was able to use the one that came with my CAI just took a little bit of finesse. Just rounded the inside edge a bit then little bit of oil and it slide on

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
scod4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #98
MedMantle

I still have the stock intake. Like 'scod' said, just give it all you've got! :P I had to turn my stock intake pipe around to get it to fit and it was still quite tight and difficult to get over, but I eventually got it. I would have loved to be able to use a adapter like that but we have almost no aftermarket car stuff where I live. :)
Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #99
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
I still have the stock intake. Like 'scod' said, just give it all you've got! :P I had to turn my stock intake pipe around to get it to fit and it was still quite tight and difficult to get over, but I eventually got it. I would have loved to be able to use a adapter like that but we have almost no aftermarket car stuff where I live. :)
You don't get the full benefit of the 1ZZ TB with a stock air intake pipe/filter and stock intake manifold. Everything is 46mm while the 1ZZ is about 55mm. I did the same as you at first but ended up installing a proper tube and filter. Next is the intake manifold and port polish the head. Only way to benefit 100%

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #100
MedMantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
You don't get the full benefit of the 1ZZ TB with a stock air intake pipe/filter and stock intake manifold. Everything is 46mm while the 1ZZ is about 55mm. I did the same as you at first but ended up installing a proper tube and filter. Next is the intake manifold and port polish the head. Only way to benefit 100%
Rigaud, what air intake did you use for your setup? Do you maybe have a picture? I'd imagine the ribbed stock intake pipe causes some disturbance with flow. I wanted to get an aftermarket intake (specifically the Injen CAI) mainly for eye candy.

In the future I'm gonna look at doing an engine swap to the 1.5 (yes, I am driving the 2NZ-FE ) and once I have the engine I'm gonna do a bit of work on it like porting and stuff regardless of the gains, mainly for fun though 'cause I'm still learning. I'm happy to hear there are still potencial gains to come :D

This forum was my first introduction to how cars work so my Yaris is kinda my guinea-pig :P
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #101
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
What options do we have for changing our intake manifold?
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #102
scod4025

I'm running a long runner golden eagle intake manifold that I got from micro image (may see if he can still get one for you) but have seen short runners from Golden Eagle and if you're looking at the TB i think some people run the corolla intake manifold but you have to modify it but from what I've seen looks like it would work better as its a smoother transition

Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #103
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
What options do we have for changing our intake manifold?
Bolt-on options are pretty few and far between: golden eagle, MicroImage, and possibly Weapon-R. The Corolla manifold requires a custom TB adapter and machining a flange for the engine block. Tooter made a short run of them a few years back, and is no longer making them. If you want to go that route, I've posted a PDF of the flange dimensions in another thread.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #104
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Is it useless to have a 1zz tb on stock intake manifold then?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #105
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Is it useless to have a 1zz tb on stock intake manifold then?
No, you will still have increased throttle response. You just won't see the full benefit without supporting mods.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #106
scod4025

Hey just wondering if anyone has figured out what the stock air box cfm is, I know that the 1nz-fe flows about 170 cfm and the TB flows about 250? cfm, so if free flowing NA we are hurting our engine performance (noticed this as I accelerate better at about 3/4 throttle) anyone else look into this?

Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #107
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
The one I picked up is from an older celica from the late 90's, drive by cable and 3 stud mount for the TB. ports to the head match 100% however the bolt pattern doesn't. I just need to find time to go at my friends home machine shop, machine a new plate for both the TB and to mount on the head. Then cut and weld them, polish up the intake with a clear coat for a finish. I'll have time in a few weeks. The air intake I purchased a 45deg. 3" tube, tig welded a tube and machined maf mount then installed a K&N cone filter. I still have to finish my carbon fiber air box and tubing to take in cold air below the headlight somehow. This winter if budget allows it, the head comes off for a port polish and possibly cams. It's all about money and I have three cars that are not or will not be stock. lol

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #108
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Tooter made a short run of them a few years back, and is no longer making them. If you want to go that route, I've posted a PDF of the flange dimensions in another thread.
I'd actually be interested in going that route. It would be a cool project to take on. Which thread did you post the flange dimentions in?