Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 AM   #1
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Time to say byebye to my Yarii - transmission problem

Yesterday, on the way home, a friend and I noticed that my car would rev higher than normal. The check engine light came on shortly afterwards I didn't think too much of it until this morning when I was running errands. The car goes from to 1st to 2nd gear, but no third :(. I took it to my mechanic to find out the codes. I don't have the specific codes on me right now, but it has to do with the shift solenoid in my transmission. I called around to get estimates for replacement. It ranges from 1k to 1.4k to fix with labor, depending on the quality of the transmission. I was intending on selling the car at the end of the year anyways, but I think my plans shifted much sooner than I hoped.

If you are wondering, the car is 2007 and has a little over 107k miles on it. I hear that's relatively low mileage for a transmission to go :(

Edit: The codes that were showing were - P0997 and P0756. The first was the shift solenoid B control circuit "high" and the second was the shift solenoid B CKT performance or stock off. This is the info my mechanic gave me - I honestly do not know what these codes are in reference besides they have to do with the solenoid.

Last edited by MyzticZ3r0; 03-19-2016 at 05:50 PM.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
Yesterday, on the way home, a friend and I noticed that my car would rev higher than normal. The check engine light came on shortly afterwards I didn't think too much of it until this morning when I was running errands. The car goes from to 1st to 2nd gear, but no third :(. I took it to my mechanic to find out the codes. I don't have the specific codes on me right now, but it has to do with the shift solenoid in my transmission. I called around to get estimates for replacement. It ranges from 1k to 1.4k to fix with labor, depending on the quality of the transmission. I was intending on selling the car at the end of the year anyways, but I think my plans shifted much sooner than I hoped.

If you are wondering, the car is 2007 and has a little over 107k miles on it. I hear that's relatively low mileage for a transmission to go :(
yes, disappointing. i'm surprised it's so much for just the solenoid. does the tranny have to be removed? these days any car repair is a ripoff unless one does DIY.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
that seems crazy expensive for the solenoid. Your trans is likely still in fine shape it's just a solenoid that has gone bad hence the high rpm and lack of 3rd gear.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My advice is have the work done and keep the car. As long as everything else is OK and you ve done the maintenance.

WAY cheaper than another car.

You would be ahead long term. Yaris is worth the risk/investment.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
tmontague

^I second this. Even better, do the solenoid swap yourself for next to nothing.

A faulty electrical solenoid is in no way a reflection of the mechanical parts of the tranny...unless of course you thrash the car around every day. If you do end up scrapping it someone will be a very happy "new" car owner. A day working on the car and boom a Yaris w/ just over 100k miles on it good for another decade.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My advice is have the work done and keep the car. As long as everything else is OK and you ve done the maintenance.

Agreed! Plus, if you do get rid of it, you likely won't get much for it anyhow.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
that seems crazy expensive for the solenoid. Your trans is likely still in fine shape it's just a solenoid that has gone bad hence the high rpm and lack of 3rd gear.
Quote:
^I second this. Even better, do the solenoid swap yourself for next to nothing.

A faulty electrical solenoid is in no way a reflection of the mechanical parts of the tranny...unless of course you thrash the car around every day. If you do end up scrapping it someone will be a very happy "new" car owner. A day working on the car and boom a Yaris w/ just over 100k miles on it good for another decade.
I usually would opt to at least try to it myself, but last February, I had a lower back injury so I haven't been amped to do any major DIY project besides oil changes and regular maintenance. I'm getting a third opinion on the tranny Thursday so see if it's only the solenoid to be replaced. Other mechanics just want to toss a new/used one, but I'll get the diagnostic and hope for the best.

Quote:

I was intending to privately sell the car at the end of the year - the Yaris isn't as convenient as it once was in my younger years. I've been looking into a 2014+ Forrester, but we'll see how the diagnostic on Thursday goes! If it's only the solenoid, I'm sure it'll be way cheaper and I would invest to keep it until the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Agreed! Plus, if you do get rid of it, you likely won't get much for it anyhow.
Yea, besides a faulty solenoid, the actual car is in great shape. I was so disappointed to see that darn engine light come on. This car has been my baby from day 1 and I've seen friends treat their cars worse and still nothing major like transmission/engine goes
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
i would look for junk yard trans out of a wreck and just swap it cos it dont take much time to do it .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Even on cars with reputations of high reliability and longevity, there is a certain amount of potluck involved with regards to random component failure here or there. Still, no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, as they say.

Myself, I'm really interested in seeing how well the clutch holds up in my first Toyota. I never had a factory OEM Honda clutch go out on me, over a half-dozen different Honda/Acuras, even @ 200K miles on one of them.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Myself, I'm really interested in seeing how well the clutch holds up in my first Toyota. I never had a factory OEM Honda clutch go out on me, over a half-dozen different Honda/Acuras, even @ 200K miles on one of them.
I was going to say that based on how the OEM clutch feels you'll want to scrap it and get a new one in the near future...then I realized you're in a '15 Yaris, upgraded clutch. The OEM clutches tend to last a loooong time if you treat them well.

In regards to the OP, if it ends up being just the solenoid (it likely is as the mechanical parts are bomb proof on the Yaris) then just swap that out for a new one even if you're selling at the end of the year. You'll get pennies for a car that is sold "as is" ie: doesn't run versus one that can go on a test drive flawlessly.

I don't know about where you live but down here in TO. small eco cars are in decent demand due to young/student drivers needing a cheap reliable car so they tend to re sell relatively fast.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #11
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
i would look for junk yard trans out of a wreck and just swap it cos it dont take much time to do it .
I called a few junkyards here in Vegas - surprisingly, the two transmissions my mechanic found are the same ones I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Even on cars with reputations of high reliability and longevity, there is a certain amount of potluck involved with regards to random component failure here or there. Still, no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, as they say.

True - I got the diagnostic ran today and it's not the third gear gone, but first. Instead, we're going to switch out two of the solenoids, along with the gasket and fluid to see where that leads us. The solenoids are rather expensive, $150 a piece. Hopefully this will fix the issue and I can keep the car long enough so I can sell it at the end of the year. With labor and parts, it's about $500, which I don't mind investing in.

Quote:
I was going to say that based on how the OEM clutch feels you'll want to scrap it and get a new one in the near future...then I realized you're in a '15 Yaris, upgraded clutch. The OEM clutches tend to last a loooong time if you treat them well.

In regards to the OP, if it ends up being just the solenoid (it likely is as the mechanical parts are bomb proof on the Yaris) then just swap that out for a new one even if you're selling at the end of the year. You'll get pennies for a car that is sold "as is" ie: doesn't run versus one that can go on a test drive flawlessly.

I don't know about where you live but down here in TO. small eco cars are in decent demand due to young/student drivers needing a cheap reliable car so they tend to re sell relatively fast.
I got the diagnostic today and will be replacing two of the solenoids, along with a gasket and fluid. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's 1/3 amount of the price of what i'd pay for a used tranmission (42k milage) and the install time is about half. I'll keep everyone posted. I live in Las Vegas, NV. The yaris isn't exactly in high demand here - most are materialistic, even if they're students.

Last edited by MyzticZ3r0; 03-16-2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
bronsin

Well you made the right decision to fix the car but the wrong one to sell it. IMO. If you keep the car you ll save thousands.

With the money you save you can play the slots and make MILLIONS!
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Well you made the right decision to fix the car but the wrong one to sell it. IMO. If you keep the car you ll save thousands.

With the money you save you can play the slots and make MILLIONS!

True - any time you buy a new car you're investing a large sum into it. I just need something bigger these days.

As for the update on my car, I got it back yesterday. The new solenoids are working like a charm. My uncle changed two solenoids, gasket, fluid, and filter for a steal. The solenoids themselves are a little expensive, but no big deal. I noticed there was a little oil on my driveway this morning so I'll take it in to ensure there's no leaks, but overall, the car is performing better. The shifting between gears transition much smoother than how it did in the past. I definitely missed my car - taking turns at a higher speed and the comfortability factor I've developed over the course I've had the car. I will miss the car indefinitely, but I just need something bigger with more options (also, I miss having an actual trunk).

P.S. I've updated my original post with the codes that were showing.

Last edited by MyzticZ3r0; 03-19-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Necessary code info
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
bronsin

OK I guess it's time to move on. I'm glad we got you to fix it first!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
In respect to trunk, I find I've been able to fit way more in my Yaris with the rear seats down than any trunk car I've owned. It's basically a small wagon.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote