Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Two recent fixes for rattling + noise while turning left for '09 Yaris Sedan

Just thought I'd write a post here since I've searched online (and here) for various repairs I've done myself over the years I've owned this car. Might be helpful to someone else.

1. Every time I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left while in motion, I would hear a grinding/rubbing noise. Asked the local dealer to look into it while I had the vehicle in for recall repairs (Takata air bag). Turned out that the fender guard/whatever that plastic piece in front of the passenger wheel that prevents kicking stuff into the engine bay had some of its retaining clips broken. Dealer wanted $$$ for it, which obviously made me lol.

Fix: Zip ties and rivets to hold the plastic piece where it belongs.

2. Car recently developed an obnoxious "tin can bouncing around" rattle, especially while idle. Because it happened at idle, I looked under the car with the ignition on and saw that one small heatshield was only half retained, and the loose end was rattling against the exhaust pipe (this is the heatshield forward of the gas tank heatshield/protector). Since I don't currently have a garage or a lift I can access, I decided to just remove it for the time being. I reasoned with cooler weather I should be okay to go without until I can replace it next month (using big fat washers + JB Weld).

Pic of the hopefully not important heatshield...

Last edited by chai; 10-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
chai is offline   Reply With Quote