Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Screech when starting....

Attachment 56222
lmao
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
My wife's 09 vibe is doing this exact thing. Going to pull the starter and take a look
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Just out of curiosity- do you bump your key forward and let go to let the car start itself, or do you hold the key forward until the car starts?
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harda toenail View Post
Just out of curiosity- do you bump your key forward and let go to let the car start itself, or do you hold the key forward until the car starts?
I usually hold the key until the car starts, but not a moment longer, so I'm 100% sure I'm not holding too long (if that's what you're wondering).

I've never read about it anywhere, but are we just supposed to click the key once and let these cars start themselves?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I've never read about it anywhere, but are we just supposed to click the key once and let these cars start themselves?

Yes. There is no need to hold the key until the engine catches. Just turn to start the crank, then let go. I call it twist and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #24
scoobopdan

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Not sure if this helps, but I had a similar sounding issue with my 08 yaris. Right after the last turn over, when the car started, it would make a weird scratching/squealing noise. Turned out my starter was going and the brushes were rubbing against each other.
scoobopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #25
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yes. There is no need to hold the key until the engine catches. Just turn to start the crank, then let go. I call it twist and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, good to know, thanks. I realized it worked that way, but thought it wasn't the proper thing to do and worried about premature wear doing it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobopdan View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I had a similar sounding issue with my 08 yaris. Right after the last turn over, when the car started, it would make a weird scratching/squealing noise. Turned out my starter was going and the brushes were rubbing against each other.
It does help; it's what I've been suspecting all along. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #26
ern-diz

She's in at Toyota. Hopefully she makes the sound in the morning so they can diagnose and I'll have an update on what's causing it...
Old 02-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
sarap

Drives: red liftback egg
i noticed my high pitched (quick) squeal at starts too, not so much the starter one, however i did notice today that it seemed to takw the car a few more cranks to turnover than when i first go the car? im going to try the twist method. hopefully if its the starter, it wont be too expensive.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #28
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarap View Post
i noticed my high pitched (quick) squeal at starts too, not so much the starter one, however i did notice today that it seemed to takw the car a few more cranks to turnover than when i first go the car? im going to try the twist method. hopefully if its the starter, it wont be too expensive.
Yeah, I worded the title of this thread incorrectly. A high pitch screech or squeal would most likely be a belt and easily identified.

I'm getting a grinding noise for about a second after it actually turns over. Only on the first, cold start of the day, and not 100% of the time. Service advisers at Toyota mentioned everything from starter, to a variety of bearings/pulleys, to the possibility of oil not getting to places it needs to quickly enough. I hope it made the sound today so they can get to the bottom of it. Also hoping the fact that it only happens once a day doesn't prevent them from being able to figure it out.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #29
ern-diz

So, Toyota couldn't duplicate the grinding on start issue this morning, but they did find that my water pump is leaking, leaked onto the drive belt, and my driver side axle seal on the transmission is leaking. They would like to charge me $537 for the pump/drive belt and $336 for the axle seal

Needless to say, I have quotes from 3 local shops that are half that for OEM parts, labor and warranty. Hopefully the shop I go with will also be able to get to the bottom of the grinding issue I took it to Toyota for to begin with...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #30
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
hmm, I'm surprised about the axle seal, they're are not know to go in the Yaris to my knowledge. The wp was a matter of time.

Do them both yourself for less than $50 and a days work. I can't believe they were going to charge you $900 for both. Both those jobs are relatively straight forward as lon as you have the tools to do so.

If I were you I'd pick up an extra started so when yours eventually goes you have another your can just bolt into place. I think it's likely your starter going, but if it's working leave it for now.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #31
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
hmm, I'm surprised about the axle seal, they're are not know to go in the Yaris to my knowledge. The wp was a matter of time.

Do them both yourself for less than $50 and a days work. I can't believe they were going to charge you $900 for both. Both those jobs are relatively straight forward as lon as you have the tools to do so.

If I were you I'd pick up an extra started so when yours eventually goes you have another your can just bolt into place. I think it's likely your starter going, but if it's working leave it for now.
Thanks, T.

I'm not nearly handy enough with automotive stuff to do the jobs myself. My skill set ends at oil changes and fluid top off's lol. I found a highly Yelp rated shop in the city I live in that uses new OEM parts, offers a nationwide 2 yr / 24k mile warranty and is doing everything for $450 out the door. Literally less than half of what Toyota would have taken me for. They're going to make sure the work actually needs to be done, so we'll see about that axle seal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the car will make the grinding noise when they fire it up today. I'd like to get it all done at the same time, if I can.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #32
ern-diz

Little update...

Local auto shop finished up the work yesterday. They were able to replicate the sound and believed it was the blades in the failing water pump. I've had the car back for a day and it didn't do the sound when I started it up today, but I won't call it resolved until I've had the car for a week or so without hearing it.

They also confirmed the drivers side axle seal was in fact leaking a little.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #33
sarap

nice! im glad u were able to save some mula ! more money for more parts ;)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #34
ern-diz

EDIT: aaaand I spoke too soon. Just as I was satisfied that the noise was the water pump, it did it again this morning. Back to the drawing board aka mechanic for diagnosing.

Last edited by ern-diz; 03-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #35
sarap

Damnnnn
Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #36
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
could it be one of those common toyota VVT start up noises? plenty of examples on the tube.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote