Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Rust Protection

I've decided to start a new thread on rust protection, for those like me who have to deal with the snow...and the others who simply care.

I know there is already a thread on this but it ended up debating if rust protection was good or not.

Please lets only make this thread a good source of information for people that want to choose a good rust protection product.

Personnaly I never used any rust protection on my cars...and ended up dealing with surface corrosion and also perforation...don't want this to happen to my new car!

I know there is oil treatment you can put every year.
There is the wax treatment you can put every 2-3 years.
And also, new to me, the electronic device you can install for 200$can that protects your car from rust (like Counteract)

Have you ever use one of these products? What are your pro's and con's?
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
My parents have the electronic box on their 2002 Buick regal GS 3800 S/C, but this past summer I had to snadblast and repaint the rear fenders due to rust and paint peeling. IMO the box is worthless, but I know other that swear by it.

I won't take my car in ever again to be oil sprayed or rust proofed
I'll do it myself until I'm too old and unable, so i know it's done properly.

Two of my cars I have had done by several shops and every time they did a half assed job. When i got home I pulled the inspection/oil plugs only to find they were never sprayed, and the oil they use is so light it does not seem to stay on after a few months. I believe it's gear oil.The one shop that did not use oil used a heavy, sticky foamy type stuff and it made a mess of everything and migrated into the inner door jams and was a pain to keep clean and maintain. Nasty stuff but it seemed to work where it was sprayed (again lots of missed areas)

For my cars/trucks I have been rust proofing them myself for several years with AWESOME results. I have not done the Yaris yet but have a couple cans ready to go.

Here's what I do (It's easy but takes an hour or two)

I buy a few cans of Rust Check from Canadian Tire. For the yaris only two LOL
Normally I use 2-3 cans of the Rust check rust inhibitor (red can), and one can of coat and protect (green can)
Then I go to the dollar store and buy a cheap tarp or two (if they are the small ones) and park the car on it to protect the driveway from oil drips.

I start by doing the obvious things like removing door pannels and spraying down inside the bottom edges with the rust inhibitor, same with the tailgate/hatch doors. It's a migrating oil so keep that in mind. (don't spray near the glass) if you don't want to pull off the pannels use the straw and spray in the water drain holes in the bottom of the doors.
Then I remove the tailights, marker lights and headlights and spray down the inner fenders.
Most cars you need to remove an inner pannel or two to get at the inner fenders in front of the rear wheels and under the carpet along the rockers to get at the plugs.
Spray it in every possible spot.
A few cars did not have plugs in the rockers so I drilled my own and bought the plugs to cap them when i was done.
Pop the hood and spray down inside the inner fenders and lower body lips, bumper struts/supports etc. I even spray inside the hood edges etc.
Get under the car and spray down the fuel tank, sending unit and back side of the fill hose/through the body
The Coat and protect I spray heavily on the fuel tank seams, fuel lines, filter and sending unit after the rust inhibitor. I also spray suspension components, axles and brake lines etc.

Once that is all done I use a wagner electric paint sprayer and lightly spray the under side of the car with cheap ATF or light gear oil.
Sure there is better stuff out there but my fathers 56 lancer had an oil leak since 1958 and the under side of the car looked like new so i know ATF works to protect it.
Anyway I spray down the under side of the car around everything except the exhaust/engine with oil

The last step is optional but helps
Find a dusty dirt road if you have one close by, then tear up and down it a few times.

I usually do this every fall, but be prepared to wash you car often for the first couple weeks. The oil will settle and run out of seem just like with any oil spray job.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
That is some good information 07WYarisRS! Thanks

I don't know if I have the same patience you have to do that each year tho...

So far the only thing I'll be doing myself for rust protection is painting the drums and calipers each year and wax the car at least twice a year.

I have a friend that worked at a car dealer and his car was treated with the "wax protection"...never had any rust on the car...and it doesn't leak like oil do. But I agree with you, maybe 85% of the places that offer anti-rust service don't do it well...so it is always better to do it yourself if you have the time and knowledge.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
Here's some volvo dealer stock spray.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...spagenameZWD1V
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by casterqc
That is some good information 07WYarisRS! Thanks

I don't know if I have the same patience you have to do that each year tho...

So far the only thing I'll be doing myself for rust protection is painting the drums and calipers each year and wax the car at least twice a year.

I have a friend that worked at a car dealer and his car was treated with the "wax protection"...never had any rust on the car...and it doesn't leak like oil do. But I agree with you, maybe 85% of the places that offer anti-rust service don't do it well...so it is always better to do it yourself if you have the time and knowledge.
A person could skip the paint sprayer step and just go crazy with a few cans of rust check and still get great protection and save a fair bit of time and $$$ doing it yourself.
To have a shop spray may car cost $100, I can do it for less then 1/2 that at home.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
JimmyJ
I've made a post!

Drives: Pajero
There are various opinions about rust protection systems and it's worth to spend money on your expensive car. As per my knowledge, till date, the CAT SYSTEM Rust Prevention (http://www.roemarketing.com.au)works best as it was designed specifically to prevent rust in motor vehicles.

I visited many sites and found that this website has the rust process information in a very clear way. It also provides information about how rust protection system works and the benefits along with customer testimonials.

Worth trying!
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
vector9mm

Drives: blue 08 hb
I bought some fluid film to spray under my car. Several people have said it's good stuff. It's supposed to be like wd40 but clings better. We'll see.
vector9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I say just wash your car weekly or as much as u can during the winter.

I have yet to see anything really work well to protect a car unless you take all panels off and coat with a ceramic type spray.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
There are various opinions about rust protection systems and it's worth to spend money on your expensive car. As per my knowledge, till date, the CAT SYSTEM Rust Prevention (http://www.roemarketing.com.au)works best as it was designed specifically to prevent rust in motor vehicles.

I visited many sites and found that this website has the rust process information in a very clear way. It also provides information about how rust protection system works and the benefits along with customer testimonials.

Worth trying!
nice advertisement for your first post. How long have you been a salesman for this company?

oh, and reading post dates is a good thing.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
+1.
This is a 4 YO thread!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
sleey0

I didn't even look lol/

Someone hit me with a n00b-hammer plz! l2ms
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
n00b
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
sleey0

Yup yup!

LOL

I just ordered some waxoyl. This thread got me thinking so I figured I'll try it out since I found it and it wasn't expensive.

So, in a wierd sense, THANK YOU to that spammer for resurecting the dead hahaha.