Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Headlight Issues

My turn for electrical issues,

Installed my HID's today, they were working fine and then I went to pop the hood to adjust the angle of the headlights (car still running and lights on) I bumped the main wire for the HID's that goes to the positive terminal on the battery and it has a fuse on it. When I bumped it, it looked like the fuse part brushed against the metal battery bracket.

I heard a quiet "zap" and both HID's went out. The parking lights, signal brake lights and everything else in the car work fine. Only the HID's I installed are affected. I checked the fuse on the HID wire and it looks fine, I don't have an exact replacement to try in its place. The fuses in the fuse box for hi and lo's are both fine.

Any idea what this could be (CTScott I know your the go to guy for electrical, please chime in)

I need lights on the car to drive to school on Monday so I'm really hoping to have this figured out by tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Does stock light bulb work if you put them back?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Fuses can look good but still be bad. Do you have an electrical meter to test it?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
+1 on the fuse. A multimeter or continuity tester will let you tell for sure if it is good or not.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
tmontague

I have a multimeter to check the fuse. I am going to pick up an extra one this morning anyways so i'll just switch it out an hope that works. If not i'll try the original bults, that's a good point and I never though of doing that.

Everything else works great in the car no other electrical issues what so ever. I'll report back in an hour or 2. Really hoping it's a simple fuse that got blown. Sort of sounds like it
Old 10-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
tmontague

Checked fuse resistance, all showing no resistance so they're good.

That being said I swapped a 10A fuse that read fine to the throttle control port and the TC fuse to the head light port. Headlights still didn't work but then throttle code popped up for a CEL (I think it was P0228) the throttle would only slightly work when all way down to floor.

Swapped fuses back and restarted car and throttle now works but no headlights.

Off to buy a bunch of new fuses and hope the headlights come back on. If not i'll check normal buls again and see if they light up
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
tmontague

Swapped the 25A fuse that is on HID wire to positive terminal as well as both headlight 10A fuses with brand new ones, no headlights still, any suggestions from here?

I do hear the HID switch moving the hi and low beam cover up and down when I put the hi beams on and off s there is power to that part
Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
tmontague

Just checked original bulbs, they work on both sides when headlights are turned on
Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If you are sure your fuses are OK, do you hear your hid relay click? You have to work your way through the electrical system to drill down what's broken.

The ballast can be hooked directly to 12v to confirm if it is still good.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If you are sure your fuses are OK, do you hear your hid relay click? You have to work your way through the electrical system to drill down what's broken.

The ballast can be hooked directly to 12v to confirm if it is still good.

+1 This!

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
tmontague

Alright got a goo news update for once. With the huge help of member "TheBarber" who I purchased the light kit from we fixed the problem.

I drove out to his place an order had some spare parts for the kit. Turns out one of my ballasts were faulty and was letting too much power through the system frying the relay and shutting down both lights.

A fuse would blow once in a while but not most times the light were turned on. New ballast with new relay and wires and the lights are functional!

I disabled my drl's i'll be connecting the halos to the windshield washer power which is 12v ignition so the halos will be my new running lights as of next weekend when I get around to do the wiring.

I'll make a diy of that and post pics incase anyone wants to wire led or halo drl's in the future.

Thanks to all of those who chimed in, it helped out a lot. Also a big thanks to Barber for taking his time to help me out.