Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Low Tire Pressure Sensor

This morning was the first really cold morning since I got my Yaris in June - it was 37 degrees here. I started out for work and the low tire pressure indicator came on, I drove to the nearest air thing, put my 75 cents in, and couldn't get any of the caps off - I guess whoever installed the factory tires didn't know their own strength.

Finally I got a guy to loosen all the caps for me, but none of the tires are really that low - 31 or 32 lbs. in each of them. Is this something I have to put up with all winter - that light on the dashboard is driving me crazy. (I saw the thread on un-doing the sensor but I'm not into all that.)

If all it takes is 3 lbs. to make it come on, that's a real pain in the butt. I think this sensor is the stupidest thing - cars have been around forever and we got along just fine without these sensors.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
You can disable it by tapping 2 wires together.

Find the "Disable TPMS thread:

i agree this is stupid. It does't even tell you what wheel. Would it have been too hard to show different color light for each wheel or even just have an LED on each corner of the light to show which tire?

I disabled mine and haven't looked back!
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
To have it on the car at all, from what I understand is government mandated. Fuel waste and safety issues from running low tires. So Toyota or any other mfg isnt going to do the which tire is low on a normal basis. Unless its a higher end model maybe or incorporated into some other customer paid option package. Right now its on our cars because they have to.....Right now the computer gets a signal from a TPS, period. To tell which one it is would require differentiating a distinctly different signal from each one versus a generic signal as it is now. extra costs which you and I would have to pay for.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you are paying for the idiots who got killed because they didn't check their tires regularly, so the nanny government is forcing every car to have these sensors.

btw its normal for the sensor to come on when its colder since the air pressure inside your tire gets a bit lower when its cold and will go back up when the tires warm up
Idiots! You've got that right! Now I'm wondering if I really do have a low tire - since after my 14 mile drive to work it was still on. I'll have to keep an eye on it, maybe the light will be off the next time I start my car up.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You might have a bad sensor, as the light should go out as soon as pressure is restored.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
DebbyM46227

Thanks, CT :)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
My car doesn't have the TPS option..not that I'm complaining. They must have only had it on the models for a few years here in Canada. Mine's a 2010.

But yeah, all I usually do is take a quick peek at the tires before I get in the car. My own eyes are probably more accurate than a TPS.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrym28 View Post
My car doesn't have the TPS option..not that I'm complaining. They must have only had it on the models for a few years here in Canada. Mine's a 2010.

But yeah, all I usually do is take a quick peek at the tires before I get in the car. My own eyes are probably more accurate than a TPS.
Amen to that. My parents had to have the sensor in there Nissan Murano changed because it went nuts. I think it was reporting half of what is was for awhile, then just decided random numbers were cool.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I bypassed mine at 600 miles when I got new wheels. I just check my tires every week or so.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
My wifes 2004 Highlander started having the light come on constantly even though we went thru the reset process. Found out how to reset them. hers has a reset button under the dash. If you reset it and it thinks its too low from factory setting it comes back on. Found you let air out of all tires to like 28psi and hit reset button,shut it off, then reset it again and it will accept new setting as default. Never had it come back on again after a full year now!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
CrazedEpidemic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I actually think the sensor is quite helpful. In my experience it has only come on when my tires were below 25PSI because of a nail being in the tire I didn't even know was in there. It has helped me numerous times from driving off with very low tire pressure.
CrazedEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
What does this sensor look like?????
Anybody have a pic of one?????
When I put my TRD 18's on, they didn't have the sensors.
I've been thinking of buying a set from Toyota.
Anyone?? Anyone??
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
DebbyM46227

http://www.toyotatpms.com/
Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Thanks Debby
I'll have to stop by my local dealer to see how much they cost$$$$
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
if the light is blinking all the time you have a faulty sensor/missing sensor. If the light is solid you have low air pressure, the sensors are programmed to alert around a loss of 6 or more psi.

To debby: odds are whoever checked your tires for you was using a 'stick' air gauge which can be grossly inaccurate (as you stated it was only off a few psi). either a digital or dial gauge will be much more accurate. you can pick one up at auto stores or automotive departments for like $5-10 bucks.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
DebbyM46227

Thanks, Shroomster....it was a stick air gauge - I'll have to get one of those you are talking about - digital sounds good! I've always had the stick kind and didn't know there were other types.

I aired up all my tires and the low pressure light went off, so I guess they were all low. Or at least one of them since I couldn't tell which it was. I looked at the dashboard each time I aired one up, and it didn't go off until I did the last tire.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
TPMS Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I couldn't tell which it was. I looked at the dashboard each time I aired one up, and it didn't go off until I did the last tire.
It takes a little while for the TPMS to recognize that the air pressure is back to acceptable levels. Sometimes you will actually have to MOVE the car in order to initialize the reset. I have also had to revert to the button reset method on 2 occasions, as it would not reset by itself. The button method:

Press and hold in the TPMS Reset button and then turn the key to the engine run position, wait a few seconds and the light should go out. If ALL the wheels show correct pressure, an it still illuminates the (!) driving a short distance usually resets in about 2 blocks of travel. (It's a pain eh?)
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #18
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
It takes a little while for the TPMS to recognize that the air pressure is back to acceptable levels. Sometimes you will actually have to MOVE the car in order to initialize the reset. I have also had to revert to the button reset method on 2 occasions, as it would not reset by itself. The button method:

Press and hold in the TPMS Reset button and then turn the key to the engine run position, wait a few seconds and the light should go out. If ALL the wheels show correct pressure, an it still illuminates the (!) driving a short distance usually resets in about 2 blocks of travel. (It's a pain eh?)
Unless your model year scion has this, toyota and all manufacturers have non physical interfaces for the tpms now. Most can only be accessed through the DLC or an onboard procedure.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote