Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
io3

Drives: toyota yaris ts
service maintance light

Hi. I just turned over 30,000km on my Yaris TS. It says in the book that service every 15,000km. But the service light didnt came on ??? I was thinking that it will...
Anybody knows ,does service light comes on or not ??
Thanx!
io3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
If the car has just recently been serviced (re; an oil change) the light will only come on every 5k or so.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
io3

The last oil change was on 15,000,and the last service.I bought the car on 26,000km. I read in the book about 30,000km maintance and was thinking that maintenance warning light would come on but it didnt.
Strange.So there is no warning light about regular maintance service.Or is there?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by io3 View Post
The last oil change was on 15,000,and the last service.I bought the car on 26,000km. I read in the book about 30,000km maintance and was thinking that maintenance warning light would come on but it didnt.
Strange.So there is no warning light about regular maintance service.Or is there?
Here in the US, the maintenance light starts flashing during startup, 4500 miles after the last time you reset it, and stays on at all times after 5000 miles(until you reset it). It doesn't come on at ANY other time, or set interval.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
io3

Ok thanx.I was not looking if light was flashing after start up.Shall check it in the morning.
Can somebody from Europe tell me when w.light comes on?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
My TS is 32,000kms and I have never taken it to the dealer and I have never seen a service light on.

I don't think my car has one. I do all the maintenance.

Are you doing your oil changes at 15K kms?? That's a lot?

What oil do you use? You should be using a extended interval high grade syntech for such long intervals... and you must have a very light feet.

I change use Mobil 1 and change it every 5,000kms
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Dont wait for a light to tell you when to do maintenance do it by mileage of the car.Suppose the maintenance light never comes on at what interval do you change the oil?never? Here in Canada the light only comes on if there is a problem no light comes on to remind you of upcoming maintenance.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
io3

Its written in the car manual book that oil should be changed every 15,000km.
As I said I bought the car with 26,000km on it and shall change oil now at 30,000.
Since the car still has new car guaranty I want dealer to do whatever they do(or not) and put me dealer stamp in service book.
On cars I had before I used to change oil myself at every 10,000(this would be once a year). Shall do the same with this after new car guaranty expires.

I read in the manual book that light for oil change will come on when car feels its time. I understood it like this. Light for oil change is not bound to km or time or something.

I was not waiting for the light to come ,I was just thinking that it will come on at 30,000km because thats service time. Now I know that light don't come.
Thats kinda stupid ,a lot of other cars have warning light bound to mileage.Why not this one I wonder?

Anyhow to conclude ,service maintenance light don't come.
Oil change light comes when 'car feels its the time for oil change'.
Smart car I guess...
On 25.10 the car is going to dealer for service.
Service costs (also repairs and similar stuff) is really expensive here in Norway.
Prices for 30,000km service from 5 different Toyota dealers in Oslo range from 4800nok(820usd) to 5500nok(940usd).
I have Sweden an 1 hour drive from home and price there is 2600nok (440usd).
Guess where I will go...
Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Service costs (also repairs and similar stuff) is really expensive here in Norway.
Prices for 30,000km service from 5 different Toyota dealers in Oslo range from 4800nok(820usd) to 5500nok(940usd).
Guess where I will go...
Holy crap. I have 73000 miles (117,000 km) and I think I've spent around 1450 dollars total on maintenance throughout its life.

50 for a k&n filter
20 for a k&n recharge kit
600 on tires(changed them twice already)
400 on brakes (changed and turned them a lot....)
360 for 12 oil changes

I know oil is more expensive in europe, but can you do your own oil changes?

Honestly unless there is some major difference between the US and European yaris that I'm not aware of, the things I listed should be all you have to worry about until you get to around 100,000 miles (160,000 km). At 100k you check/change belts, spark plugs, and possibly transmission fluid. Transmission fluid can be done earlier, as I did because I live in a area with a lot of hills.

Out here almost everyone who goes in for regular maintenance is getting ripped off by the dealers. If you search, someone posted about the dealer switching out a dirty air filter for their clean one, and telling them they needed to replace it. Dealers will try anything to overcharge you for service.

Really the yaris should be one of the cheapest cars to maintain out there.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Its written in the car manual book that oil should be changed every 15,000km.
As I said I bought the car with 26,000km on it and shall change oil now at 30,000.
Since the car still has new car guaranty I want dealer to do whatever they do(or not) and put me dealer stamp in service book.
On cars I had before I used to change oil myself at every 10,000(this would be once a year). Shall do the same with this after new car guaranty expires.

I read in the manual book that light for oil change will come on when car feels its time. I understood it like this. Light for oil change is not bound to km or time or something.

I was not waiting for the light to come ,I was just thinking that it will come on at 30,000km because thats service time. Now I know that light don't come.
Thats kinda stupid ,a lot of other cars have warning light bound to mileage.Why not this one I wonder?

Anyhow to conclude ,service maintenance light don't come.
Oil change light comes when 'car feels its the time for oil change'.
Smart car I guess...
On 25.10 the car is going to dealer for service.
Guess where I will go...

The car has no way to know when the oil is ready for a change!!

That is really subjective!! as it depends on the kind of oil you are using and the kind of driving you are doing... If you drive your car really hard you might need to change your oil very often.

I would say 10K kms oil changes are fine if you are using a high quality Syntech such as motul, mobil1 etc...

If you are using regular dyno oil then every 5K kms

$440 for a service is crazy! I have never taken my TS to the dealer...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
io3

yes well its different marked here.The car itself I paid around 30,700
usd. 2007 model. New it costs around 41,000 usd. Half of this are taxes to government.
Norway have high standards which means high prices on everything especially cars.

Anyway I could do oil change and filters and brakes and some other things myself but I don't wont. I want dealer stamp in maintenance book cause it would be easier for me to sell the car afterwards. Been there before so I know...
If I remember before I been using Castrol Magnatec full syntetich oil and it costs 4liters almost 100 usd.
Oil filter for Yaris is 25usd
Air(cabin) filter is 50 usd.

Quote from manual book about oil change and maintenance light:

" You have to change oil and oil filter on following:

- when reminding light for oil change lits
- when you do repairs on engine
- when light for oil change don't lit but its been 2 years since last oil change
- when light for oil change don't lit but you drove more then 30,000km since last oil change

Time for when the light for oil change will lit is dependent of driving conditions.

After you have changed motor oil you have to remember to reset oil change light .If you don't do this the car can not inform you when is the correct time for next oil change. "

So you see as I understood car have a brain of its own and decides self when it needs oil change. :)

I'll open another thread and talk about fuel consumption in my/your Yaris TS.
I wonder how much fuel people are using..
Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
shtou

Drives: YARIS TS 1.8
my friend,i have also an european TS and i tell you that the manual is for all yaris not only for TS(mine is for all models).and i never seen some lights for maintenance.and yes in the manual they write that we must change the oil at every 15000 km.mine has only 19000km and the first maintenance at dealer costed me ~70$(in romania).it seems that in your country costs a lot.
shtou is offline   Reply With Quote