Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
back lit control?

First night out with the car I noticed that the pod that holds the mirror switch, and cluster dimmer control is not back lit, nor is the controls on the driver side door IE: the door locks, window locks or the other window switches (the auto down is lit.) The passenger door switches aren't back lit either. Is this just mine sedan or aren't any of the sedans back lit? I also noticed the the radio controls and three knobs that control heat and air are also a quite a bit dimmer than the speedo cluster. If you dim the speedo cluster to a comfortable level then you can't see the display on the radio very well. I have the square faced radio with the buttons down each side.
Any input?
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
pixitha
Pixitha

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I also noticed the issue with the radio back light being super dim, if i lower the HUD to a normal level....I found the HUD to be a bit too bright, but now the radio is a bit too dark!

2007 Yaris Sedan here
pixitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
the thing I don't understand about the sedans is when you 'click' the dimmer switch all the way up it turns off the lighting....all the other toyotas actually use that 'click' to lock the displays to max brightness
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
andaconda

So I'm going to take it that nobody has back lit controls...

To fix the radio being too dim, I suppose you could put a resistor in line with the HUD unit to dim it a bit further, and then turn the brightness up for the radio. It might take a little experimenting to get a good balance.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Yea the only stuff I have lit is the middle stuff, not the locks, window, & dimmer control.

But my old car didn't either so it didn't even occur to me to be bothered that its not lit.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
the thing I don't understand about the sedans is when you 'click' the dimmer switch all the way up it turns off the lighting....all the other toyotas actually use that 'click' to lock the displays to max brightness
The reason for this is because when you have to turn on your headlight due to rain or fog but its still day time, you will still be able to see you Speedo and gas gauge. If you didn't turn the knob all the way up to the clicked position during the day, it makes it very difficult to see your cluster.

BTW.....My Sedan has back lighting behind the lock/unlock buttons.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
andaconda

ya, the only thing that is lit on mine is 'auto down' window button...