Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Tokico Blues + TRD Springs &Sway Bar after 5k miles

This is a good combo. I've put on after market suspensions on other cars that start falling apart after 5k miles. I would actually say this combo is handling better now than when I first put it on. IMO the TRD spring heigth is perfect, a fraction of an inch lower and you will not be able to use ramps to get under the car to change the oil. With the sway bar you can take sharp turns faster than your neck can withstand. Only room for improvement would be less body roll, but not sure if there is a solution for that.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
its a pretty good set up... i had the HTS shocks, DF210's, and 23mm rear bar for a long time and loved it.

as for roll, you can always get stiffer springs or sway bars.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
awesome to hear.

Im about to add Blues to my TRD's. I am torn about which sway bar to get (UR 19/23). I worry about the 23mm with snow season and oversteer issues. Will I regret not getting the big one?
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
awesome to hear.

Im about to add Blues to my TRD's. I am torn about which sway bar to get (UR 19/23). I worry about the 23mm with snow season and oversteer issues. Will I regret not getting the big one?
I don't think you will regret any of them , they are both great , but
the 23.mm is diffently worth trying first .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
With the complete TRD Sportivo package body roll is not an issue. I'm surprised it is with the Tokico's substituted in. Perhaps the Blues are valved for less compression damping than the higher cost TRD units. I've put over 40,000 kl. on this package and it's still rock solid. I'm actually surprised my sedan hasn't yet turned into a rattle trap with the ride so much stiffer than the OEM granny spec.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
With the complete TRD Sportivo package body roll is not an issue. I'm surprised it is with the Tokico's substituted in. Perhaps the Blues are valved for less compression damping than the higher cost TRD units.
Shouldn't have tried to save the $100, or maybe I just push it harder than most. Still very happy with the setup.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Perhaps the Blues are valved for less compression damping than the higher cost TRD units
They aren't, they are stiffer than the TRD's. I've had both on my car.

"Body roll" is a completely subjective term, so unless one person has driven both cars, or both cars are shown on the same curve on a track (etc, you get what I mean), it's not a very accurate discussion.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
They aren't, they are stiffer than the TRD's. I've had both on my car.

"Body roll" is a completely subjective term, so unless one person has driven both cars, or both cars are shown on the same curve on a track (etc, you get what I mean), it's not a very accurate discussion.
True, subjective, much like the strut tower bar discussion.

Garm, it's great to have your input.
99.9% of us will never have acce$$ to both brands to do an apples vs apples comparo.
That said, if the Tokico's are stiffer than the TRD's I'm happy they weren't available when I did my sedan. I like it as it is now and can't imagine how some passengers would complain if it was any more rigid. They already grumble.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
bronzebullet232

Drives: 2010 Black 3dr Lift Back
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
its a pretty good set up... i had the HTS shocks, DF210's, and 23mm rear bar for a long time and loved it.

as for roll, you can always get stiffer springs or sway bars.
Do you like the adjustability on the HTS? Are they really stiff on the hard setting? Im debating whether or not to get them.
bronzebullet232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
they are really damn stiff... and i usually leave them on that setting bc i never drive anywhere.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
This is a good combo. I've put on after market suspensions on other cars that start falling apart after 5k miles..

what kind of garbage was THAT?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I'm thinking of tokiko blues with a taller spring setup. Looking for stiff strut valving but adjustable to softer valving paried with softer spring rates.

What do you think? Purpose is for bumpy, snowy, gravel, dirt, back roads and rough tarmac and lotsa Yumps :)
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Tanabe NFs might more suit your setup....the ride height on them is not too low or too high, lower than stock but does not give you a 1.5 drop all around, i believe~ I'm not sure how much the drop is after the springs settle in...but the springs offer a very satisfying ride with the ridgid feeling you want w/o sacrificing ride quality~

I would recommend you H&R springs because they are taller springs, but stiff as day one because they don't sag or settle in much :P (I've had them on since start of 2008)....they give 1.4 drop in front and 1.3 drop in back if memory serves me right~~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
awesome to hear.

I'm glad too that there are many happy users on the Blue!! Really can't wait for the postmen to quickly send the blue structs to my door step. (From Garm, of course!!)

I'm currently on UR 19mm rear sway. I'm very happy with the huge handling performance. If i'm allow to choose again, i'll just go for the 23mm instead of 19mm. I feel more steering and stable-ness in, mid & out of corner after installing 19mm. I believe the 23mm will allow me to gain more of steering & stable-ness, the kind of better & good handling is never enough for me.

Imo, if the ground are wet or snow season, i will not speed and play around with the corner. Rather i drive really safe slow speed. Definitely i'll go for the UR 23mm for my habbit & type of driving style during DRY & WET season.

After all, getting a rear sway is a MUST have mod for handling department. You just need to know how much of demand you looking for in handling department & your driving style/habbit.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Just realized the Tokiko's are short stroke setups and won't work as well with a taller spring setup. With you you guys going for the drop and lower CG, I'm going the opposite route. I'm goint to try out the Koni Yellows.

:)
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
Just realized the Tokiko's are short stroke setups and won't work as well with a taller spring setup. With you you guys going for the drop and lower CG, I'm going the opposite route. I'm goint to try out the Koni Yellows.

:)
Thought the Tokico blue are the same exact length as the stock shocks/structs? U mentioned abt the taller springs set-up meaning the stock springs?
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote