Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
zkay

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan 4-DR
Question about suspension / steering

Hello

I have a weird issue going on. When I reverse out of a parking space or other stop, there is a strange 'wobble' coming from the front two wheels. It feels almost as if the car is losing it's footing. It doesn't happen all the time, only on occasion, and only when I'm slowly reversing out of a spot.

I have read online that this can be attributed to any number of things, including bad wheel bearings, bad alignment, and other suspension problems.

I was just curious if anyone else has had similar issues, or if anyone had any ideas or suggestions in regards to my situation.

Thanks,
-zkay

Last edited by zkay; 07-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.
zkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
zkay

Anybody? I should also mention that my car is fairly new (17k miles) and had an alignment pretty recently at 12k miles, I believe (will double check). I don't drive it rough, although I did cross some train tracks pretty recently hard enough that the TRAC/stability control started going off and beeping.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
anomoly40
Depot Damager

Drives: '08 Liftback
Have you checked to make sure they tightened all the bolts when they did your alignment? Why an alignment so soon? You hit something?
Bought back in '20 with 270k

Currently collecting parts for the 2zr swap
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly40 View Post
Have you checked to make sure they tightened all the bolts when they did your alignment? Why an alignment so soon? You hit something?
I bought this car new at 12k miles and I thought they had realigned the tires for some reason. Now that I'm looking through the paperwork though, I realize they didn't realign the tires, just refilled them with nitrogen.

I didn't check the bolts, I will do that and check back in.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
anomoly40
Depot Damager

Drives: '08 Liftback
I believe the next check would be to jack up each side of the front of the car and try to wiggle the rim. Grab each side of the tire and pull one side and push the other. Similar to this video.

Also check to see if your lugnuts are tight.
Bought back in '20 with 270k

Currently collecting parts for the 2zr swap
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly40 View Post
I believe the next check would be to jack up each side of the front of the car and try to wiggle the rim. Grab each side of the tire and pull one side and push the other. Similar to this video.

Also check to see if your lugnuts are tight.
Lugs were tight, as of yesterday. I didn't have to tighten them at all. My wife and I went for a drive today and it didn't do it at all - - and I was going way overboard testing it and trying to make it do it; locking the wheel totally out one way or the other and going really slow.

Just weird. I will check to see if either rim wiggles in the next few days and report back.

Thank you for your help!

-zkay
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
How much of a wobble is it? Does the steering wheel move with the wobble? Where do you feel the wobble? Seat, feet, steering wheel etc.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
How much of a wobble is it? Does the steering wheel move with the wobble? Where do you feel the wobble? Seat, feet, steering wheel etc.
When the wobble occurs, I can feel it at my feet. It doesn't happen in the steering wheel or the seat. It can range anywhere from severe to not wobbling at all.

But, not being able to reproduce it at all yesterday has me stumped.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Manual or automatic?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
zkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Manual or automatic?
Automatic. Yesterday I had to stop at the post office here in town and in order to go about my day I had to make a u-turn with the wheel locked out all the way to the left from a dead stop. It didn't do the wobble.

It also didn't do it at any other point in my day, at any of my other stops.

At this point, I'm just going to call the problem a ghost until it starts occurring with some kind of regularity.

Thanks for the help, guys. I do appreciate it.

-zkay