Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #1
Garth g.

Drives: 07 Yaris 2dr hatchback
When I pin the bitch it smells like burnt hair!!??

When I'm cruising the city streets and when I hit the juice in my ride,it smells like burnt hair through the vents?I keep topping it up with oil every week,It's not leaking at all.The car has 260,000kms now,is that why?The motor has been running good for awhile now.Am I missing something like a small leak that burns off somewhere?I change the oil every 5000K.When I accelerate at normal levels it doesn't occur, only when I have to go faster.There's no smoke comming out behind the car.

Last edited by Garth g.; 05-14-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Garth g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
is there a dead thing somewhere on your exhaust piping?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Determine oil consumption over miles driven.
Do these cars ever drip or weep oil onto the exhaust manifold, cat converter or hot part of the pipes?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
If its using oil & you smell it, then its got a blow by problem.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
Maybe you clutch is slipping or you are burning it ? Clutches can smell really bad :D
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
ecampos

Drives: 2017 Toyota Yaris S XP-150
Yes, burnt clutch or brake pads usually smell really bad...

I had an issue with my old Corolla where after a few hours of driving the brake caliper pistons would not retract all the way so the brake pad would still be in contact with the rotor, burning it causing a bad smell. Ended up having to disassemble the caliper to clean, re lubricate and replace gaskets.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 AM   #7
Garth g.

Thanks you guys

The responses are appreciated, I'm driving about 100kms a day with this thing between work and personal use.I gotta say hands down it's the best small car I've ever drove.Im going to check for residue on the exhaust.I understand what you guys mean about the brake pads I got uneven wear on the pass.side because of the caliper bracket or whatever.Last time I did the front brakes i did just a pad change,my pass.side was seized up.I got it moving again then put everything back together, I could smell them a few days later when flying on a delivery.Im going to take that shit apart and check it again too.I don't drive a stick thanks for the replies about that though.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Exhaust is not necessarily a 'burnt hair' smell, but have you checked the condition of the donut gasket between the manifold and the down pipe? Your cars age and mileage would suggest it is probably shot and I don't see any references in your history to doing any exhaust work.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
ecampos

Drives: 2017 Toyota Yaris S XP-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth g. View Post
The responses are appreciated, I'm driving about 100kms a day with this thing between work and personal use.I gotta say hands down it's the best small car I've ever drove.Im going to check for residue on the exhaust.I understand what you guys mean about the brake pads I got uneven wear on the pass.side because of the caliper bracket or whatever.Last time I did the front brakes i did just a pad change,my pass.side was seized up.I got it moving again then put everything back together, I could smell them a few days later when flying on a delivery.Im going to take that shit apart and check it again too.I don't drive a stick thanks for the replies about that though.
I would suggest to drive the car till it smells and then stop and sniff it around to see if you can catch where the smell is coming from. In my case the front wheels stunk and they were really hot, more than usual.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Garth g.

When I purchased the car 2 years ago the donut gasket was replaced, Thanks for the suggestion wee yari I can check that out today after work as well.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Garth g.

Talking

After a few months of putting up with the burnt hair smell when accerlerating hard it's finally fixed.It was the donut gasket,I've been driving with the windows down but it became worse so I changed it today. No more burnt hair🤓.I think they changed the design of the bolts I got new ones from Toyota 14mm,old one's were 17mm.The threaded part of them is the same diameter though.