Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
dinop
dino

Drives: '07 Toyota Yaris (sedan)
Small accident, need advice.

Hi everyone,
So, I had a bit of a bad experience on a dirt road yesterday. A deer was crossing the road and my brakes locked up as I was slowing down. We spun out into a small ditch. Basically, my poor Yaris is in pretty rough shape at the moment. Had it towed to my fathers office where the company mechanic took a quick look at it. I'll try to attach a smaller photo of the damage. When AAA got it on the tow truck it was clear that the radiator needs to be replaced because the support was bent upward and fluid was pissing out. The front quarter panel on the drivers side is ruined (the car skidded into a tree), the front bumper cover has been destroyed, and as far as I can tell, that's it.

When we got it to the office I tried starting it, but the starter would not turn. It's acting as if the clutch switch isn't depressed, but I know my foot was flat to the floor. So I had a friend of mine give me a push and we pop-started it so that we could park it quickly, before it would overheat. It still idles and drives like it should when it's cold, which is good. Any ideas as to what's preventing power to go to the starter? Checked the fuses and plugged in the OBDII diagnostics reader, nothing to show.

Anyway, I've been searching online all day for parts and was wondering if anybody knew of anything better than what I've found so far. I want to use a generic radiator until I can afford the genuine toyota replacement. I'm a little tight on extra cash right now (I just had our Audi serviced, which cost a fortune), so I'm trying to be pretty cost-efficient with the parts I buy. So here's what I've found for the radiator, the quarter panel, and the front bumper.

Going to wash the filth off of the car and take a look at it on a lift Monday. I'll add anything else that seems to be an issue then.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (427.5 KB, 171 views)

Dino, VT
07 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 281k, daily driver
09 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 128k...parents car
95 Audi S6- alt daily driver, 5 cyl turbo, 224k
75 Triumph TR6- Current restoration project, 8k
dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinop View Post
Hi everyone,
So, I had a bit of a bad experience on a dirt road yesterday. A deer was crossing the road and my brakes locked up as I was slowing down. We spun out into a small ditch. Basically, my poor Yaris is in pretty rough shape at the moment. Had it towed to my fathers office where the company mechanic took a quick look at it. I'll try to attach a smaller photo of the damage. When AAA got it on the tow truck it was clear that the radiator needs to be replaced because the support was bent upward and fluid was pissing out. The front quarter panel on the drivers side is ruined (the car skidded into a tree), the front bumper cover has been destroyed, and as far as I can tell, that's it.

When we got it to the office I tried starting it, but the starter would not turn. It's acting as if the clutch switch isn't depressed, but I know my foot was flat to the floor. So I had a friend of mine give me a push and we pop-started it so that we could park it quickly, before it would overheat. It still idles and drives like it should when it's cold, which is good. Any ideas as to what's preventing power to go to the starter? Checked the fuses and plugged in the OBDII diagnostics reader, nothing to show.

Anyway, I've been searching online all day for parts and was wondering if anybody knew of anything better than what I've found so far. I want to use a generic radiator until I can afford the genuine toyota replacement. I'm a little tight on extra cash right now (I just had our Audi serviced, which cost a fortune), so I'm trying to be pretty cost-efficient with the parts I buy. So here's what I've found for the radiator, the quarter panel, and the front bumper.

Going to wash the filth off of the car and take a look at it on a lift Monday. I'll add anything else that seems to be an issue then.
If you have insurance, that is what it is for. Sorry for wreck though.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
dinop
dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
The insurance covers damages done to another persons car in a collision, not the damage done to my car in an accident such as this.

Dino, VT
Old 06-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I have a 2007 Yaris 3 Dr HB .. and I just had an accident in December, and I had a 6 inch "crack" in my bumper cover from the accident (there was no other damage). It was about $950 .. just for the bumper cover and painting. I am however in Canada .. where prices are high. So you may get off cheaper.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
That looks to be anywhere from 3-4 thousand in bodywork
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Source your parts from rockauto.com and save a bundle. Only thing I saw more expensive was the radiator.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
dinop
dino

edmscan, that must be the case! We had the front bumper cover replaced by our dealer a few years ago for around $350 (haha a little ridiculous for a piece of plastic, right!?) There's absolutely no way that's $4,000 in body work, YarisSedan, the only body damage is that quarter panel and the front bumper. Thanks ciscobear, your answer was actually a little helpful! Is anybody able to help me diagnose the starter issue?

Dino, VT
Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
new parts, hidden damage, paint .... it all adds up. good luck!

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
dinop
dino

Hey,
Just thought I'd check in! My Yaris got back from the shop on Friday, mechanically intact. I have driven 300 miles since then with no issues to report. Total cost of repairs so far has been around $300 (radiator and radiator support). I am expecting the new drivers side fender and front bumper cover to arrive for this Friday, at which point I will send them away to be painted. When the bumper comes back I'll be sending it away once again to be 'rubber-wrapped', to protect the investment. Last year I found myself scraping the bottom of my bumper cover every time I pulled in to my school's campus.

Overall, I'm surprised at how inexpensive this has been, and even more surprised at how well the car held up throughout it all. If I get a minute, I'll post a picture of the temporary bumper fix that we created, It's pretty funny looking!

Dino, VT
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
edmscan, that must be the case! We had the front bumper cover replaced by our dealer a few years ago for around $350 (haha a little ridiculous for a piece of plastic, right!?) There's absolutely no way that's $4,000 in body work, YarisSedan, the only body damage is that quarter panel and the front bumper. Thanks ciscobear, your answer was actually a little helpful! Is anybody able to help me diagnose the starter issue?
But remember, Yaris Sedan lives in the Bay Area (I couldn't resist ).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Hey,
Just thought I'd check in! My Yaris got back from the shop on Friday, mechanically intact. I have driven 300 miles since then with no issues to report. Total cost of repairs so far has been around $300 (radiator and radiator support). I am expecting the new drivers side fender and front bumper cover to arrive for this Friday, at which point I will send them away to be painted. When the bumper comes back I'll be sending it away once again to be 'rubber-wrapped', to protect the investment. Last year I found myself scraping the bottom of my bumper cover every time I pulled in to my school's campus.

Overall, I'm surprised at how inexpensive this has been, and even more surprised at how well the car held up throughout it all. If I get a minute, I'll post a picture of the temporary bumper fix that we created, It's pretty funny looking!
Good to hear the dent in your wallet has been minimal!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Pizzaboyracer

Drives: 07 liftbsck
Did you not replace the little condenser in front of the a.c.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Pizzaboyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #13
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
To be covered, you must have comprehensive insurance on your car. This covers damage caused to your vehicle by an “act of God”, such as fire, theft, vandalism, earthquake, hail, or hitting a deer. Comprehensive coverage is subject to a deductible. Avoiding to hit a dear...well that may or may not qualify. I had a drainage pipe a few years ago fall off a truck and caused damage to my Yaris. The insurance rep told me it was a $500 deductible collision claim....however, I was informed by others that should be a comprehensive claim. They were correct...and my deductible was only $250. I would check out your policy and see what is covered...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Pizzaboyracer

Does your car have a.c. still

Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Pizzaboyracer

I'm in the same boat and don't want to replace the bent evaporate er

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
Pizzaboyracer

??

Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
this is 4 years old. Dinop might be dead.
also, he only made 14 posts... he might drive something else now.
...or he might be dead
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #18
Pizzaboyracer

I wish the person that backed into my car and left was dead omg my baby