Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
jdlc

Drives: 09 Yaris sedan
Headlights out after alternator replaced

Hi all-

Great forum! I installed a new alternator on my mom's 09 Yaris sedan. Not sure why the OEM alt went bad but it was growling to beat the band. replaced it and all was well. until my mom drove off and tried the headlights and no work. High beams out too. i figure it's a fuse (and why did the lights go out after my R/R on the alt?). The manual kinda sucks as the diagram for the fuse box does not correspond to the type in the car. we have like 31 slots and the manual shows 21. but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place. is the box under the hood the place i should look? I'm normally not this lame, but i don't have the car at my house and can't check it right now. when i tried to trouble shoot, i was on way to work and didn't have time to thoroughly investigate. There appears to be a bunch of smart dudes on this forum and any help is appreciated.
JD from Cali.
jdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
There's a fusebox under the steering wheel. You can remove the change box by pushing in the sides and then lifting it. Once removed, you'll see the fuse box. =]
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I moved your thread to the correct section.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Did you disconnect the battery cables before replacing the alternator? If not, you more than likely blew one of the fusible links integrated into the positive battery terminal (they are visible if you flip up the red cover).
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
jdlc

Yes, i did disconnect the battery before beginning work. Thanks for asking. I used to have an old datsun pickup that i had to replace the alternator in every year or so 'cuz i had a big amp for stereo that pulled too much juice. anyhow, leaned the hard way as a young lad to disconnect battery before messing with most anything on the vehicle. If the fuse replacement doesn't work, I'll be checking relays fuseable link etc.
All other components on the vehicle work as far as i can tell, so it's hopefully just a fuse. i'll know tonight after work...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlc View Post
Yes, i did disconnect the battery before beginning work. Thanks for asking. I used to have an old datsun pickup that i had to replace the alternator in every year or so 'cuz i had a big amp for stereo that pulled too much juice. anyhow, leaned the hard way as a young lad to disconnect battery before messing with most anything on the vehicle. If the fuse replacement doesn't work, I'll be checking relays fuseable link etc.
All other components on the vehicle work as far as i can tell, so it's hopefully just a fuse. i'll know tonight after work...
OK. The headlights have a separate left and right fuse (H-LP RH and H-LP LH in the under-hood fuse panel). It would be difficult to pop both doing the alternator change.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
jdlc

Thanks CTScott- one of the fuses you identified was blown (left side) and the right side headlight was out. The cause was high voltage 18.5V from new alternator. the voltage regulator is apparently bad. the battery darned near boiled over too. ANyhow, going to call manufacturer and try to get new alt. what a bummer. just trying to save a couple hundred bucks and this happens. so be it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
jdlc

picking up replacement alternator tonight after work. Mom reports that the battery light and airbag light flashing on dash when drove home (1.5 mile). Hopefully, she can limp it back to my house for repair tonight. Will update the forum on results.

JD