Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
ABS and Emerg Brake Lights On - Need Advice

Today when I was driving (I have a 2007 3DR HB RS Model) .. I had my ABS and Emergency Brake lights come on .. they stayed on for a few minutes and went away. So I thought maybe the problem is gone. But the lights came back on again about 2 min later and appear to be staying on now again. Anyone have any thoughts about what it could be ? I am not a car guy .. so please be gentle on me with your answers.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
edmscan

Of course .. the problem didn't last very long. The lights are now OFF .. and the problem does seem really intermittent. I spoke to the previous owner of my car and he said "the problem happens when the roads get messy" and it may be months between instances. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Today when I was driving (I have a 2007 3DR HB RS Model) .. I had my ABS and Emergency Brake lights come on .. they stayed on for a few minutes and went away. So I thought maybe the problem is gone. But the lights came back on again about 2 min later and appear to be staying on now again. Anyone have any thoughts about what it could be ? I am not a car guy .. so please be gentle on me with your answers.
If you do a bit of looking around on here for the ABS light threads, you'll see that this is a common issue up your way. The ABS speed sensor connectors are not sealed and the road salt eventually corrodes them. If it gets bad enough the sensor and/or the cable needs to be replaced. You can clean them up and then coat them with dielectric grease, or silicone the connector seams to seal them.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
edmscan

Thanks .. I actually found that thread in the Canadian forum, after I created this one. (Guess search is my friend now). Now only to hope that the dealership is able to fix it without costing me a fortune.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Must be cause of the weather. Mine just happened, however my car is from California, so maybe I can just get away with cleaning and sealing.

I don't want to get rid of this car, I like it a lot.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
2o6

Hey, CTScott, I jumped the pins, and I got codes 33 and 34....which are not what you posted for the pin jumping technique for the ABS codes.

I did a random Google search of Toyota ABS codes and 33/34 have historically been the rear two speed sensors.....I know this is a problem on these cars.....
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Hey, CTScott, I jumped the pins, and I got codes 33 and 34....which are not what you posted for the pin jumping technique for the ABS codes.

I did a random Google search of Toyota ABS codes and 33/34 have historically been the rear two speed sensors.....I know this is a problem on these cars.....
33 and 34 are respectively the right and left rear sensors. It does seem that more people have issues with the rears than the fronts.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
2o6

Hmmn. I think something got wet that wasn't supposed to; It was pretty nasty outside yesterday, all sorts of slush. My car is originally from California, so not much rust, I don't think they'd both all be broken off (and at the same time nonetheless). I'll put it on the lift at my job (I work at a dealership) and see if I can clean off and grease down those connectors.

That generally works, right?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hmmn. I think something got wet that wasn't supposed to; It was pretty nasty outside yesterday, all sorts of slush. My car is originally from California, so not much rust, I don't think they'd both all be broken off (and at the same time nonetheless). I'll put it on the lift at my job (I work at a dealership) and see if I can clean off and grease down those connectors.

That generally works, right?
It is definitely odd for both to have failed close together, so it is possible that the problem is upstream of them. Their wiring meets for the first time at connector AJ1. which is above the top of the under-dash fuse panel. From there they go through the firewall to the large connector on the ABS ECU. You might want to start by checking the ABS ECU connector under the hood.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
2o6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is definitely odd for both to have failed close together, so it is possible that the problem is upstream of them. Their wiring meets for the first time at connector AJ1. which is above the top of the under-dash fuse panel. From there they go through the firewall to the large connector on the ABS ECU. You might want to start by checking the ABS ECU connector under the hood.
Which looks like....? (LOL)

I did have a blown fuse a short while for my rad fan; possible electrical niggles blew something else up?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Which looks like....? (LOL)

I did have a blown fuse a short while for my rad fan; possible electrical niggles blew something else up?
The ABS ECU is the chunk with the connector, attached to the bottom of the brake master cylinder.

I doubt that it is related to your other electrical issue, since it is just two of the four sensors, and the ABS ECU itself is alive.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
2o6

ABS and Brake lights went off, but ABS remained funny acting for about 5 minutes (until it turned back on) which leads me to believe it wasn't getting proper information for the time ABS "worked".

I checked the ABS ECU connector, looks a little nasty on the outside - I'll just have to look it later; I had to run to school.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
2o6

Checked, cleaned and greased the rear sensors. Both had some blue corrosion.

Lights off, back to normal. Maybe it was just a coicidence that they both threw codes. Will defenitely keep an eye out for the next few days.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
I had two vehicles in the past that had abs problems. One the abs modulator would not turn off unless you unplugged the battery, maybe the fuse as well. The second had replaced all four sensors. Granted these were both american cars and not yaris. Each of the other vehicles were taken to a real shop and fixed. This sounds stupid I am sure but I assume your pads are not wearing out and getting your fluid down when you press the brakes? Thus the brake lights come on.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote