Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
When do you sell?

When do you sell a car?

I generally buy 2-5 year old used cars, keep them for 2-5 years, then do the same thing over again. I usually sell cars out of boredom and wish for something new. The nice thing about buying used cars is you can sell them even a month later for almost the same price you paid.

I'll probably keep my current 2010 Yaris for another year or two, then buy a 2014 or 2015 model with the upgraded body and clutch.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's a smart way to do it. I usually buy new (as I prefer that my butt be the first to spend significant time on the seat), but I also typically keep a car for about 10 years. I typically own 2-4 cars, so one of the bunch is always fairly new.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sounds like you have a good plan.

My first cars 40 years ago cost ~$500 because they needed an engine or something. Another $250 and they were good to go. Unfortunately they usually held up mechanically but after around five years something happened to them and they had to go.

Im 59 now and trying to make my 09 Yaris my last car.

Probably not...
Old 10-31-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
At about 200K i start getting an itch for a new car. problem with Toyota products is they are so reliable its hard to justify getting rid of a perfectly good running car just because you are bored with the car you have been driving for the last 7-8 years.
I'm at that point now with my 08 Yaris sedan (210K)but with the car running so well the wife aint buying my lame reasons/excuses for us needing a new car.lol
Old 11-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I try to keep cars for at least ten years, mainly because we normally buy them new and that is the best way to get our money's worth out of them. We have three 2005 models (my Jeep, the wife's Odyssey and my son's Jetta) and except for the latter they have been pretty much maintenance free (VWs start having problems at the ten year point). My 2008 Yaris is like new expect for the shitty paint Toyota used on it. Of course, eight years out in the southcentral Texas sun didn't help; but our Honda van has been sitting out for over ten years and the paint (technically the clearcoat) hasn't gone to crap like it has on my Yaris.

Cars are rarely investments, so my philosophy is to squeeze as much use out of them as I can so I get some return on my money!

By the way, the exception to that rule has been the Jeep. I could sell my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited for pretty much what I paid for it in 2007. Those things hold their value better than almost any other non-exotic vehicle I know of!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
soap94

Drives: Corolla
I got my first car at the age of 18. it was old Toyota corolla. I still own this car cause it is my precious. Don't want to sell it)) But usually the "selling cycle" is around 5-6 years.
soap94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by soap94 View Post
I got my first car at the age of 18. it was old Toyota corolla. I still own this car cause it is my precious. Don't want to sell it)) But usually the "selling cycle" is around 5-6 years.
Ha, we have a very similar story. My first car, at the same age, was a handed down '87 Toyota Corolla FX hatchback.

In respect to the OP, I'm 36 now and have only owned 3 cars in my lifetime. The above mentioned 'rolla hatch for 3 yrs, a '98 Civic LX for 7 yrs and my current '07 yaris for 8 yrs and counting. I've had a terrible itch for a new car lately, but even if I were to get something else, the $3-$5k I'd get for the Yaris isn't worth letting it go. I'd rather just keep it as a second car because it's in killer shape.

Last edited by ern-diz; 11-02-2015 at 01:08 PM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'm keeping my Yaris until the wheels fall off. I'll be here long after you guys are gone, apparently.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At about 200K i start getting an itch for a new car. problem with Toyota products is they are so reliable its hard to justify getting rid of a perfectly good running car just because you are bored with the car you have been driving for the last 7-8 years.
I'm at that point now with my 08 Yaris sedan (210K)but with the car running so well the wife aint buying my lame reasons/excuses for us needing a new car.lol
This is how I feel about my Yaris. I've only replaced a wheel bearing in a 172,000 miles outside of basic maintenance. It still runs like new. Even looks fairly new. Problem is, you do get board with a car after a while. The Yaris almost lasts too long with so few problems in this sense. Hard to get rid of a car that runs like new and get only a few grand trade in for it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote