Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
alnen

Drives: 14 Yaris
What color coolant should I have?

Just bought a 2014 Yaris L from a used car dealer. The coolant is green. Another one I looked at today from the same year had pink coolant. Do I need to drain and replace with toyota pink?
alnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
drain and flush out the green and go to your Toyota dealer and grab either stupid expensive pre mixed pink, or the red concentrate (red has a slightly shorter life).

I go to Canadian Tire and get Toyota/Lexus specific stuff in a black jug made my a brand called OEM. I've checked the MSDS sheets and the ingredients are the exact same. It is slightly cheaper and has a 5year/250,000km limit to it. I pre mix mine at 45/55 water to coolant. I believe they sell in the states too.

To flush it just drain your rad and then fill it up with de ionized water and run the car to operating temps. Repeats a few times until it is no longer green. Then add your proper coolant.

You can also remove the thermostat and then fill with water. This will allow you to only have to run the car for like 30sec (water will leak quite a bit from the thermostat housing so don't run the car for too long). I've done it this way and IMO it allows you to flush the engine faster then with the thermostat on. The Yaris doesn't heat up to well as idle unless it's extremely hot outside.

There is a drain petcock located on the back of the engine block right near the exhaust header, but in y experience I've only ever gotten around 100ml's out of it so IMO it's not worth the hassle of trying to get a wrench on it.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
alnen

Great info, thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
alnen

Just wanted to follow up. I did the job and it was very easy. I noticed when I was doing it that there was basically just a 3" layer of green coolant in the reservoir sitting on top of pink coolant. I followed the coolant line from the bottom of the reservoir to where it connects to the radiator cap area. I disconnected from the radiator cap area and held the hose lower than the reservoir and aimed into my drain pain, and it all drained out beautifully. I refilled with pink, then did the flush as you described above just to be safe. I honestly don't think the green made it into the system, but even so its a new car to me and i wanted to flush it. It took a good 3 or 4 cycles for it to drain clear. It did take about a gallon of coolant. Thanks again!

BTW the pink coolant was $25 a gallon at the dealership for anyone interested.