Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
oh, and i average about 60 mph.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #38
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well, it happened to me too, basically he ECU seems to go into a "safe mode" after you run out of gas and runs the fuel mix very rich.

It took me almost one full tank after that for it to reset, but I think you can reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a while too.

See if that works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
OK, yes once I dont know why I ran out of gas, and had to push the car to a gas station, put gas, and after that day it went from 32 down to 24mpg. I took ti to the dealership and they blamed it on a bad tank of gas which looked/smelled bad.

Then a few weeks later and multiple tanks of 87/89/91 octane, still the same 25-27mpg.

I took my 2 subs and amp out, my donut, and put my stock tires/rims on; and It only did 1mpg better on average for two tanks.

I said to hell with it, put my 205/40/17 back on, and still got the 27mpg.

Now, I got pissed, went back a few weeks ago, and they did not want to do anything really, they just told me "the uce didnt report any errors so nothing can be done; and that the road test showed everything within ""spec""."

Well, its been a while now, and its still doing bad on gas.

I said to myself, no more driving at 80mph on the hgihway, and no more reving high betwen gears (like 3-4.5k)

I went normal the whole tank, mostly highway driving at 50-60mph. And guess what!!!!!!!! Still the same damn 27mpg. WOW I should imagine that with driving normally like an old person I should atleast seen 36+mpg average, but no.

When I first got the car, I was getting 35-38mpg average. One day went on a long trip and did 90mph the whole time, probably 250miles. I ended with 36.5mpg that day.

Now I do 60mph and dont rev high anymore, and somehow Im down to 25-27mpg range? What the F is this about.

Yes I have a 5door automatic.

yes I made the mistake of letting it run out of gas.

Yes I make the mistake of letting it run down till it flashes fast ALL the time.

So What is wrong, how can this be fixed? This way once its fixed I never again let it drop under 2-3bars.

Please dont harass me on my stupid mistakes, I'm already pissed enough at everything.

Thank you.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #39
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
my first two bar is 100 miles maximum not 162 like others, i guess COLD is part of it too, i don't know, i guess i have to wait until summer to see any changes, but i turn my AC on all the time in summer. So i really don't know.
well, 2 bars (10liters) for 100 miles that's really good. maybe some one else did run 162KM with 2 bars, which is the same. you will be able to run 400miles/tank which is excellent considering your cruise speed end shifting point being both around 3000rpm.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #40
hystria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
What I have noticed now since we have the cold...I've been letting the car warm up for about 10-15 minutes before I leave to and from work and I've been getting crap for mileage.
well, Yaris engine takes a lot of time to warm up. the higher the engine revs, the faster it warms up. Now, imagine leaving a cold engine to run on idle for 15min. What happens ? The engine runs most of this time cold, thus consuming more gaz, polluting more (as the catalytic converter is still cold and doesn't reduce any emissions) and finally it runs with colder oil and that means poor lubrication and more wear. The best thing is to let it run say a few seconds then start driving and shift at a moderate rpm - say 2500. I also use to turn off the fan while the cold engine light is still on, although at 0F it gets a little cold inside
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #41
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Well, first let me say thank you to All who responded to my fuel loss problem.
Go4th pretty much made it clear as to where all my gas was going. The reason for letting the car warm up was not for my benefit so I would be all cozy and warm for the ride to work but for the cars benefit. Hey, screw it....I'll just get into the cold car. It don't bother me. Isn't it not good to start your vehicle up in cold cold weather and just take off? Actually, I heard that you can do that but you would have to drive at a slow rate for about a mile or so for the vehicle to "warm up". Maybe that's what I'll do next time.
Again, thnx to Go4th and hystria for your feedback.

sambo42xa
Southern, NH

Vrooooommmmmmm
Old 02-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #42
hystria

Yes, it is a good idea to keep a low RPM for the first mile or so - however too low RPM is not good either, try not to drive at less than 1500 RPM - engine cold or warmed up. This will help the fuel consumption. To get the best mileage with this car, it's better to cruise at 1500 RPM and to shift at 2500 RPM.

One more thing just to understand better the Yaris engine... Yes it can deliver very good fuel consumption... but only when the car is not fully loaded and especially if it is driven very smooth. Otherwise it will eat almost as much gasoline as a bigger engine. And sadly it is not the most fuel efficient on the highway as the engine keep reving at 3000rpm or so
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #43
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
And sadly it is not the most fuel efficient on the highway as the engine keep reving at 3000rpm or so
Yeah, I know... 27 MPG really sucks.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #44
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I agree with etimago, disconnect your battery to reset your ecu and see what happens.

Just for comparison, I drive 100 miles per day and get between 28 and 34 MPG. I drive 65 MPH north (head-wind) and 75-80 south (tail-wind). Not very good I know, but, I do have a 12 cubic foot box and rack on my roof.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #45
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
Yes, it is a good idea to keep a low RPM for the first mile or so - however too low RPM is not good either, try not to drive at less than 1500 RPM - engine cold or warmed up. This will help the fuel consumption. To get the best mileage with this car, it's better to cruise at 1500 RPM and to shift at 2500 RPM.

One more thing just to understand better the Yaris engine... Yes it can deliver very good fuel consumption... but only when the car is not fully loaded and especially if it is driven very smooth. Otherwise it will eat almost as much gasoline as a bigger engine. And sadly it is not the most fuel efficient on the highway as the engine keep reving at 3000rpm or so
So that's why I'm losing fuel......must be the weight I'm gaining from those darn donuts I'm eating on my way into work in the mornings!
(chuckle,chuckle......)

sambo42xa
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #46
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
darn donuts
(chuckle,chuckle......)

sambo42xa
lol
Go4th is offline   Reply With Quote