Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
More Consumer Reports Distortions/Lies

Take a look at number 7 on this list, lol.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...p.html/?ref=YF

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...-cheap.html/8/
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Oh these critics are so clueless. I had several cars in mind and I went to forums to see what people were saying about each of them. In 7 days it will be 3 years to the day that I picked up my 2013 Yaris L ...4-11-2013. It has 13,800 or so miles one it, I have loved every minute of driving it. It is awesome to me. I want to buy another one!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Oh these critics are so clueless. I had several cars in mind and I went to forums to see what people were saying about each of them. In 7 days it will be 3 years to the day that I picked up my 2013 Yaris L ...4-11-2013. It has 13,800 or so miles one it, I have loved every minute of driving it. It is awesome to me. I want to buy another one!
Wow, ~14K in 3 years is nice. I've had my 2015 for 9 months or so now and I am already a bit over 8K. I average about 240 miles driven per week.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
He just throws out an opinion without giving any reasons or facts to explain that opinion. A total waste of space.

Last edited by tarkus; 04-04-2016 at 07:11 PM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

I agree with Tarkus! I can't believe some of these idiots get paid for what they are doing. Yes, my Yar Yar has really low miles, I have a job now that I only put on 50 miles a week to and from. It will be a total old man car in 10 years!! (especially since I'm turning 55 this Saturday, LOL) I Love It! Been changing the oil every 6 months (warranty) May go to once a year (every April 9th!) or keep the twice a year schedule. Oil & filters are so cheap, and it's fun to do. The car has performed flawlessly, it has been the neatest new car experience for me ever. Put on a TRD Rear Sway a year or so ago, BIG difference, LOVE it. Never drive it hard, but it gets a good run at 55-60 miles an hour up Route 321 by my home. The ECO light is always on, Lol! Been averaging 35 mpg, mostly 35-45 mph driving. I just love this little bugger.....
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
I believe Consumer Reports is useful in picking reliable cars. I wouldn't have picked a Yaris if I didn't know the reliability beforehand. I don't agree with their low road test score for this model. It's not meant to be a high performing sports car, luxury car, SUV ,like the ones they usually test . But they have steered me clear of cars that I was interested in that turn out to be unreliable.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes they do point out losers.

Which makes their opinion of Yaris puzzling.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes they do point out losers.

Which makes their opinion of Yaris puzzling.
The Yaris is an easy car to pick on, and some outlets seem to believe that relative consumer demand/buzz (or lack thereof) is an indication of quality and/or craftmanship.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
The Yaris is an easy car to pick on, and some outlets seem to believe that relative consumer demand/buzz (or lack thereof) is an indication of quality and/or craftmanship.
I think they over value "style" and "ego trip" and "performance" just like the public does.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
CR is right - I hate my Yaris

piece o junk

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 04-14-2016 at 11:30 AM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
Kalispel

It doesn't have bleeding-edge automotive technology or all those new 'safety-features-for-idiots' - so it must be a cheap piece of junk. CR logic.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #12
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
It doesn't have bleeding-edge automotive technology or all those new 'safety-features-for-idiots' - so it must be a cheap piece of junk. CR logic.
I agree with your point. Reference my post on the other thread about self-driving vehicles. One of the thing I enjoy about the car, is it's simplistic approach. Consumer Reports might speak to the mainstream opinion, which is a sad state of affairs for our country. If we look at where our country was when the Model T was mass produced and now, it's a stark contrast. Henry Ford's concept was a cheap simple vehicle for everyone (It even came in just one color: black). Now we see how many computers we can stuff into the vehicle and the price balloons, and I'm not just talking about the initial price. To keep supporting/fixing all of those computers is going to cost a lot of money. What happens when credit runs out and we can't just finance or lease $60,000? What happens when you're stuck with the car you purchased because your credit won't buy you that new self-driving vehicle. What if you can't afford the insurance? No thanks! I'll take my wheel, three pedals, and stick. Just my humble opinion.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Well stated.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
It's crazy because when the Yaris was first reviewed and for several years thereafter the Yaris was highly ranked and recommended by CR. I think their reliability is still valid, HOWEVER I don't put much into their own personal SUBJECTIVE views on the vehicles they test. I'll test drive them and make my own decision, like the grown adult I am. They have really down the toilet lately. Every since they rated our LG washer as top rated and that thing has been the biggest POS. And I wanted a Whirlpool, but peace was more important so I gave in. And then they ranked the Ninja blender as high as the $500 Vita-mix which I do own. The Vita-mix will last 30 yrs versus a couple of years with the Ninja. And I love my 15 Yaris SE manual. I like it better than the two Fits I had, one which wasn't the great of quality like most new Hondas. And they praise and go gaga ape shiite over the Honda Fit. I don't see it.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
You have to remember that a big part of their ratings are based on subjective factors, (they freely admit this BTW) and that is where a lot of these arguments start. I do pay attention to CR's subjective opinions (as I do for the opinions of Car and Driver, Motor Trend, online reviewers, etc.) but CR's real value is in their objective data, i.e. reliability statistics and owner satisfaction surveys. The Yaris does better when judged solely on this criteria.

In the current April Auto Issue of CR EVERY Toyota and Lexus vehicle had excellent or very good reliability ratings. (The Yaris had an excellent rating.) As for owner satisfaction there were no negative ratings. (The Yaris had a neutral rating, which was the lowest of any Toyota product.)

They also have test results such as acceleration, braking, accident avoidance maneuvers. These results are in line with their recommended subcompacts (Fit, Versa Note).

So it seems a large part of their final rating is attributable to subjective criteria. You know what they say about opinions...everybody has one.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #16
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
....it seems a large part of their final rating is attributable to subjective criteria.
In the article quoted in this thread, there's no factual information at all, and just some subjective criticisms with nothing to back then up. It reminds me of some film critics who trash talk a movie that everyone else raves about, and packs the movie theatres.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Exactly - More things in a vehicle - More to go wrong. I trust the reliability of the Yaris over ANY of the old "Big 3" manufacturers and most foreign manufacturers, also.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Nozomi135

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LE 4DR Hatch
Ditto on the reliability! I drive a 2007 LE hatchback with the 1.5 1NZ-FE, almost 124000KM on it up to now, yes, material quality isn't the best, isn't the most cozy car, my only gripe is that it lacks A/C for the summer (Oh well, roll down the window! :P )but it does exactly what it was built to do, heck, my father and his 2014 Civic (Loaded with tons of creature comforts) is more fond of my little Yaris, which cost me $5000 than his $30000 car! It gets me where I need to go, reliably and super efficiently. For a 9 year old car, still runs perfectly and never had any serious problems with it up to now, only done basic preventative maintenance and upkeep. I've had such a great experience with it that I'd be reluctant to sell it for anything, planning on keeping it as a reliable daily driver, considering a Celica GT-Four ST205 that my buddy is trying to sell, would make a good side car! I'll take my old, basic Yaris, without stability, traction control and ABS over any fancy, complicated Dodge, Ford or GM product any day of the week!
Nozomi135 is offline   Reply With Quote