Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
ebrake only working on passenger side

I know I need new cable/s but I pull the lever up with full force and it only locks the pass side.It doesnt even grab the brake drum period.Anything to look at that I can do myself?

I will be ordering a cable and having a shop change it but for know I want both tires to lock if possible.

P.S adjusted star and pads are really close to drum.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Nothing to look at really unless you were going to replace the cable yourself. Quick tip, if the 10mm bolts are seized that hold the e brake cable to the body just use zip ties. I had to do that on my old echo as all the 10mm bolts snapped off and I couldn't remove them w/ easy outs and zip ties worked great.

chances are your e brake driver side cable it seized due to lack of use. Once those things seize there is no getting them to un seize
Old 06-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Or keep it that way for super sweet e brake 180s for running shine down the 405 before ol smokey catches you..
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Nothing to look at really unless you were going to replace the cable yourself. Quick tip, if the 10mm bolts are seized that hold the e brake cable to the body just use zip ties. I had to do that on my old echo as all the 10mm bolts snapped off and I couldn't remove them w/ easy outs and zip ties worked great.

chances are your e brake driver side cable it seized due to lack of use. Once those things seize there is no getting them to un seize
Where do you recommend I get the cables?

Prefer to buy within canada if possible.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Check online, auto parts way is Canadian but I typically stick w/ ebay or rock auto so I'm not much help if you want to stick w/ Canadian. Dealership price for the cable is darn expensive iirc
Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Pinchlite

Quote:
Check online, auto parts way is Canadian but I typically stick w/ ebay or rock auto so I'm not much help if you want to stick w/ Canadian. Dealership price for the cable is darn expensive iirc
Will go autopartsway.Never found rockauto usefull.Once you do the exchange and ship I can get most any yaris part same price and really quick ship.

Thanks for the help btw.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I wouldn't mess w/ the cables till you have the new parts. It sucks trying to get drums off w/ a stuck e-brake cable.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I wouldn't mess w/ the cables till you have the new parts. It sucks trying to get drums off w/ a stuck e-brake cable.
I had drums off the other day using the the bolt holes on the drum.

I found out the one side was not engaging by being able to remove drum with ebrake engaged.

I realized ebrake was on(Good side) once I got to the other side and the drum would not come off.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
sometimes best to get it apart before ordering any parts...expected bad part may not be the problem and/or other parts are also required. (what's going on at the other end of that cable? noting I know nothing about these cables on Yaris...how one lever pulls two cables, etc.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
sometimes best to get it apart before ordering any parts...expected bad part may not be the problem and/or other parts are also required. (what's going on at the other end of that cable? noting I know nothing about these cables on Yaris...how one lever pulls two cables, etc.)
All I know is there is tons of slack in the brake handle and one wheel does not grab.

Adjusted star untill slight grab drum.Adjustment thingy uner console is maxed out.

Only thing it cam be is stretched cable with one side broken or seized.

P.S I hate drums with a passion.My next car will have discs allround mandatory.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
brake rust disc drum

discs and their calipers/sliders rust worse/quicker than drums w/ their cylinders and shoes. and 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles rust worse towards the rear due to spray back from the front tire(s)
discs rust just from being so exposed to dew, etc. which repeatedly re-activates the calcium chloride in the rust pits.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
Pinchlite

Fixed!

Quote:

The device where the 2 cables connect to the single cable that connects to handle is inside.Easy peasy.Silver Heat shield had to be removed but all went real smooth.Ebrake works tiptop know.The Dorman cables that I got off ebay for $66.00 CAD EA or so fit perfectly.