Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Rizzo

Drives: 2007 5-Door Hatchback
Touch-up pens - is there a trick to this?

I recently got a touch-up pen from the dealership and covered up a few nicks from highway driving. I did the clear coat bit, too.

The marks are less noticeable, but with a larger chip I can see the new paint I put down as a darker patch. Strange thing is, there are a couple of chips on the corner of the door that covered up just fine, so I know the paint is matched correctly. Did I put it on too thick? I would've thought that would make a bubble of paint, not a darker area.

Also, with the smaller marks, I can see the clear-coat on it as an extra layer over the original paint. It's frustrating that it doesn't just level off somehow. I feel like the world's worst artist when trying to touch up the chips. Is there any trick to it that I should know?
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I had same results, could not figure a way to keep the touch up paint from overlapping on edge of chip. Have you waxed over to see if it smooths things out?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
you can wet sand it with some very fine paper or try some scratch x to smooth things out then apply some thick protectant
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I've had mixed results using the Langka touchup paint remover to smooth out blobs. You can get some good results with it if you're really patient, though.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
what if you use a toothpick to apply the paint from the pen?
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
spinejaruk

Drives: Venetian Silver Yaris
recommendation is to use an artist brush - smallest size from no.1 onwards-depends how big the chip is.
I tried doing it on a 6 inch keyed scratch on the side of my car (got keyed by some low life within one month new!)
I tried smoothing the touch up paint with scratch x but always end up taking too much off so it keeps showing a faint white line but its much less noticeable. I've done it a few times now - eventually I may get it right.
I may just end up putting a sticker on it to save the trouble....
spinejaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
I bet the darker spots are on the bumper, Right?
I had scrached my bumper and tryed touch up paint but it was allways darker. The bumpers are black with a light coat of white primer then a thin coat of base and clear. I dont know how to fix it so I repainted a spot on the bumper. It has been said b4 our paint sucks.
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
yuiedie

Drives: '07 liftback
touch-up paint never ends up looking the same as factory, especially if you have the metallic paint, really, really hard to get right.
yuiedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Rizzo

Drives: 2007 5-Door Hatchback
The darker bit is on the hood, actually... though it did seem white underneath so maybe it's painted the same way as the bumper.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've not had much luck with perfect touch-ups, either. Better than a black chip mark, though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
You could try to put more paint on so it forms a raised surface, then wetsand it back with a small block and 2000grit or so paper. You'd have to polish and wax afterwards though.

drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Some have said they had great results with applying gray primer that some touch up paint companies sell. Then you can apply the color with a touch up pen or tiny ball tip microfiber touch up brush and finish with clear coat. There is a clear coat solvent that supposedly can be applied to "seamlessly" melt the new clear coat on the touched up chip with the surrounding clear coat. I have read the reviews for each touch up kit company mentioned here and some have very low ratings over all. Though some had great experiences most had horrible results with the product and the manufacturers. If your touch up paint is too dark on the hood you might take it to a automotive paint supply shop to have it tinted to be used on your horizontal surfaces and another pen tinted to match the vertical body panels. My Toyota dealership touch up paint is a bit light and looks pretty lame close up but at 10 feet it looks fine. Unless people get up close and personal with my Yaris I doubt they'd notice. In the 8 years I've owned mine I have yet too catch anyone closely inspecting the paint. It's not the sort of car that attracts many oos and awes except in places like Yarisworld. I keep my paint highly detailed so it looks new at 10 feet. Dollar for dollar this is easily one of the best cars I've ever owned.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM   #13
bairjo

Touch up paint will never look correct. That's the way it is. In order to have a blemish free surface repainting the base and then the clear coat on the entire panel is required. Any wet sanding, buffing etc. in an effort to make touch up paint "blend in" will just reduce the clear coat and amplify the imperfection you started with. Oh you may be satisfied with how you do with it...but if I was buying your car down the road...I would see it.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
At the bump shop, the touch up guy used a match , thin layers to build it up.
Looked pretty good. I of course could never duplicate it.
Some times that chisel shape tip works against you.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
As previously stated, the best option is to take the touch up pen and dab some paint into/onto some junk plastic Then use a tiny brush etc to do as THIN of a layer as possible. Then repeat until the new paint is just above the rest. Will take several layers if done correct. Wet-sand, polish, happy.

And yeah, Yaris paint sucks. I've given up on mine.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote