Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
btz

2008 Yaris HID Install, help with wiring.

Hey all, slightly novice here and I apologize for anything not in proper terms or lingo.

I lost low on my left head light so I figured that I would throw some 6000k HIDs in the car for some white light as the "yellow" bothers me on long trips and I love driving at night.

So cool I installed Xentec 6000k purchased off ebay and spent 4 hours last night trying to get the wiring into the original socket right.

Well I ended up driving home from my father's shop with my hazards on and not happy.

I understand the Xentec is not an optimal brand and I hope that doesn't bar any help I can receive. Basically theres 3 wires(-/+/+), for each light, and I cant get them right.

I managed to get everything but HI working and figured; fine, atleast I have lights, but when I started up the car the Xentec lights did not work.

Battery tested fine, with load as well.

Please save me YW.

(I apologized if I am in the wrong sub-forum)
btz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
2008 Yaris HID Install, help with wiring.

That's because the Yaris is using a switched ground.

So you have to pla with the harness to get it right.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
btz

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. Huge blizzard coming in and I'm getting nervous about my drive home from work.

If I understand correctly, once the car starts the ground switches to a different position than it was previously located in when the car was not running?

Most of my work on it was done in a closed garage so I couldn't leave my car running. You think it would be better to bundle up and try it outside with the engine running?

Also do you happen to know if the lights are independent of each other? That is to say, changing one wire on the right would or would not effect the left?

Thanks again and to anyone else who replies.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Your OEM headlight bulb is dual filament, one bulb that functions as low and high beam. The HID bulb is not dual filament. It cannot be used for low and high beam.

Are you just putting an HID kit into your headlight housing without a projector? HID bulbs are not designed for reflector housings. It is often frowned upon because the dispersed light can be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. You need a projector made for HID to house the HID bulb for correct light refraction. You'll need a bi-xenon projector for the HID to function as low and high beam.

I suggest you putting everything back to stock for the blizzard so you can drive without worrying. When the weather improves, you can work on your car again.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
btz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Your OEM headlight bulb is dual filament, one bulb that functions as low and high beam. The HID bulb is not dual filament. It cannot be used for low and high beam.

Are you just putting an HID kit into your headlight housing without a projector? HID bulbs are not designed for reflector housings. It is often frowned upon because the dispersed light can be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. You need a projector made for HID to house the HID bulb for correct light refraction. You'll need a bi-xenon projector for the HID to function as low and high beam.

I suggest you putting everything back to stock for the blizzard so you can drive without worrying. When the weather improves, you can work on your car again.
I see what you are saying regarding the projector. Thank you.

As for the blizzard, one of my lights was dead which is why I needed to change it. I suppose one light is better than none.

Yes, the kit I got was supposed to be High and Low, it has 2 bulbs. Could I post a link for everyone to see it or is that not allowed?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
MOST HID bulbs are not designed for reflector housings. It is often frowned upon because the dispersed light can be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. You need a projector made for HID to house the HID bulb for correct light refraction. You'll need a bi-xenon projector for the HID to function as low and high beam.
fixed.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by btz View Post
I see what you are saying regarding the projector. Thank you.

As for the blizzard, one of my lights was dead which is why I needed to change it. I suppose one light is better than none.

Yes, the kit I got was supposed to be High and Low, it has 2 bulbs. Could I post a link for everyone to see it or is that not allowed?
You should post a link, but i think your post count is too low to do it.

anyways.. the reason your high beam is working is because halogen bulbs do not care about polarity. HID does.

That's why you are getting high beam and HID is not working. I said the Yaris has a switched ground.. meaning the on/off switch is on the ground connection and not the positive wire. The positive wire has constant power.
To get your HID to light up, you probably simply need to flip the positive and the negative wire at the ballast and it should work.

Note: if i remember well, the H4 bulb connector has 2 grounds and 1 positive.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
btz

This has all been really helpful. Thank you all.

The seller also sent me a video of recommended wiring for the 2 positives and one negative, although I wasn't able to get one of the settings working on my lights, so I kept tooling with them until I was content, with the car on. I was able to get some lights working so I am able to run some errands until the weather is better and spend some time working on it for real. A great suggestion, which should hopefully stop this cold from getting worse.

As for the link. If the post count is too low. They were Xentec Hi/Lo 9003 from eBay.

The only other modifications that I would like to make at this time is to paint the grey panel around the stereo and fan knobs, and possibly the knobs as well. Is there any recommended reading anyone can suggest or a tutorial that still has pictures up?

Thank you YW. I will be sure to let everyone know how the lights go once they are perfect.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The problem is that the kit is only designed for switched positive and the Yaris uses switched negative. So, to properly install the kit you will have to wire in two relays to convert the OEM wiring from switched negative to switched positive. You could also contact the seller, as many of the aftermarket kits are available with their harnesses prewired in either mode of operation.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
btz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The problem is that the kit is only designed for switched positive and the Yaris uses switched negative. So, to properly install the kit you will have to wire in two relays to convert the OEM wiring from switched negative to switched positive. You could also contact the seller, as many of the aftermarket kits are available with their harnesses prewired in either mode of operation.
Thank you. As a long time lurker I just wanted to say I love that Yaris plow.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by btz View Post
Thank you. As a long time lurker I just wanted to say I love that Yaris plow.
Thanks! She definitely earned her keep again today with the post-blizzard clean-up.

Tags
2008, 6000k, novice, xentec