Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Decided on synthetic gear oil

Ok, I have decided to go for sure with synthetic gear oil with my manual transmission, but I have a couple questions.

1. Forgive my ignorance and confusion, but I want to be absolutely sure that I understand. When I say "gear oil" to a mechanic, that means "manual transmission fluid," and that is the one and only fluid that goes in the manual transmission, correct?

2. I do not want to change it myself, just because I do not have off-street parking, nor do I have the tools. My Toyota dealer wants to charge me $130 to change it out to Royal Purple. Is that price reasonable, or should I go to a lube shop, who would change it out to Mobil 1 for a little less?

Thanks!!
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
1. I don't usually say "gear oil," I just say "transmission fluid" or "tranny fluid." "Manual transmission fluid" is correct too.
Clutch fluid is the only other fluid related to a manual transmission, but it doesn't actually go inside the transmission.

2. IMO, here's what you should do with $130:
$30 - Tranny fluid (I HIGHLY recommend Redline MT90, get it @ amazon.com)
$20 - Give to buddy for letting you use his driveway.
$8 - Drain pan with lid
$2 - Funnel
$70 - Craftsman tool set - Make sure to get one with a 1/2" drive ratchet, and buy a 24mm socket (it's an odd, large size that won't come with most sets). Totally worth it to keep in the car! Has UNLIMITED Lifetime Warranty!

You don't even need to jack the car up - just put a cardboard box on the floor to lie down on. You can bring the drain pan (get the kind with a lid) to jiffy lube or pep boys and they'll recycle the oil for free (tranny fluid is still just oil).

If you're uncomfortable because you're new to working on cars, I think this is a perfect job for your first DIY.

To answer your question though.. I guess $130 is okay since they'll probably charge you $60 for fluid, $60 for 1/2 hour labor, and $whatever for "environmental fees" or whatever else they can come up with. Maybe they'll divide it up some other way, but you get the idea.

If you decide to do it on your own, take a look and see if you can find this bolt/hole on the top of your transmission (the shiny hole), because it is so much easier to fill the fluid from there. I will try and find it on my gf's yaris liftback and take a picture - this picture is from an mr2.

edit - Just think, your tranny will look like that in 20 years too! And it'll still work great because Toyota is awesome!
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
I just don't feel skilled enough for the job. I can change oil, and I once rebuilt a motorcycle engine, but a car's transmission scares me. The dealer's only synthetic is Royal Purple. Is that good?
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
If you can change engine oil, you can change a manual tranmission's oil. It only has drain and fill plugs (bolts). Drain it out the bottom hole, replace the plug, and fill it through the upper hole (actually it's on the side of the transmission) untill it begins to run out the hole. Replace the upper plug. Done. No filter, no nothing else. If you have the tools to remove and replace the plugs and a pan to catch the oil, you can do it.

Oh yeah, Royal Purple is good, but $130 is rediculous. Do it yourself for the cost of the oil.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
If you decide to DIY, this may help...

DIY: CHANGE MANUAL TRANNY OIL