Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Latka

Drives: 0x Yaris Hatchback
Latka's Yaris thread

Hahaha... rather than continue to drag the poor meet / cruise thread off into the woods further I figured I should probably just tart my own thread. :)

Yesterday I went to check out a Yaris (2 door hatchback) at the Windward Toyota dealer. I wanted to double-check that I fit in it mostly, but also wanted to poke around the car. I fit, but I'm probably going to have to recline the seat a bit - damn German and Scottish heritage! I like the hatch / folding rear seat. I've always been a hatchback fan, having had a '91 8v GTi, a pair of 85/86 CRXs, and a 2002 MINI Cooper S.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Toyota actually left some room in the engine bay. You can get to the belts, intake and exhaust manifolds without screaming - well, compared to the Mini at least.

Looks like we're going to end up getting a base model car with A/C. I'll add a radio later for the interior. Going to tint it and get an exhaust for it right off the bat. Gotta make sure everyone knows all 106hp are on the way. ;) Haven't decided which exhaust to get yet, but I'll have to do some research. I'm not after a raspy, tinny rice-boy sound. Possible future stuff could include drop springs, uprated struts, and maybe a rear swaybar. I'd love to get back into SCCA Auto-X - if I do that I might stick with exhaust and aftermarket struts. I think it'd be pretty competitive in H Stock, but I'll have to wait until I actually drive one for that decision. At 2200 pounds and change though it's really damn light.

We're hoping to get a Yellow Jolt '09, but I'd be ok with most of the colors except black. Had a black '87 Porsche 924S - thing looked awesome when it was all clean and shiny, but sheesh - one or two days driving out here and it looked like junk with all the water & dust.

I'm kinda bummed that I have to get rid of all my Minis, but such is life. I went back to school to change careers and had to sacrifice quite a bit (toys! hahaha). My green Mini as well as my 1966 Austin Cooper S will have to go. I've got a small pile of parts that I need to sell too. It'll be nice to be down to 2 cars though! My fiance is happy driving our Nissan Titan to work - I don't like driving it... it's too big. Funny, considering I'm 6'6" :) I'm much happier in a small car, provided I fit.

(edit) Oh, as for school - truckin along. I "started" school in '94 when I got out of the USMC. It'll be nice to finally finish it up. This is my last semester at Windward CC, and come January I'll be at the College of Business up at UH Manoa. Yay - only 2 more years to go.
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Well it says we have 106hp. But it's really like 90whp. Titan = Gas guzzler! It seems most axle backs give the yaris a low tone. Not ricey at all. You can go with the magnaflow muffler if you want to not stand out looks wise. Don't forget to get an intake! That things changes the entire sound of the car!

this is a video of my car with an intake and all new pulleys. no exhaust so you can really hear the intake roar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5NlQEZNmk
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Latka

Yeah the Titan can really suck it down. It's totally handy though when we have stuff to do around the house. It'll flat pull the brown outta dirt if we need it to also. :)

I definitely want to mod the car when I get it. Gotta figure out the finance and see what I have to play with $$$-wise. Can't have a stock little Sushi Cooper.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Andy,
I just did a servco inspection today, and looked up close at the new 09's. I LOVE the new 5 door model. Sucks it's only auto though. The jolt yellow is very nice too! Since you have all those uk mini's, i was wondering if you knew how hard it would be for me to import a canadian 5 door/ manual to the states? I've already checked w/ DMV, and the guy said it was no problem, but i didn't really trust him. He seemed pre-occupied with serving the next in line. thanks
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
Latka

We can't bring cars into the US that aren't US DOT compliant. The reason I have Minis is 'cause they're over 25 years old. Once you hit that age you don't have to worry about emissions / safety requirements.

Canada can do cars that are 15 years old. Jeez... I wish we could do that. That'd open the door to some pretty recent cars from all over the world!

Hopefully once I graduate I can get my Hakosuka ('69-71 Nissan Skyline). THAT is going to be a fun car. ;) I think the Yaris is going to be fun too - just on a different level. No triple DCOE Webers on the Yaris. :D
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Are all 5-doors autos?

I went to Windward Toyota about a week ago and all they had were Autos.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
Latka

When I stopped in last week they had one Yaris, and it was an '09. 2dr Hatchback. Grey. Auto. It was all the way out on the street side of the lot on the windward city shopping center side. They said they have 3 more base models in stock and one S on the way - all 2 door hatchbacks. (I didn't check for the 4 door hatchback or the sedan)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Are all 5-doors autos?

I went to Windward Toyota about a week ago and all they had were Autos.
Yes, 5-door comes only with auto in U.S.
tetzyamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Just wanna say, it's great that we're slowly getting more local Yaris owners on here :) We just may have enough for a decent meet someday...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
one dayyy
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote