Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Stabilo

Drives: Yaris
Exclamation Did something VERY stupid ...Have i wrecked my Yaris?

folks,

Hope someone can help... went to jump start my 2000 Yaris and didnt realise i had the lead on the wrong battery poles (idiot!) ...reverse polarisation i believe its called ...there was a few sparks with car starting up then it died and no electrics are working at all!!

Im hoping i've just blown fuses? or have i done something much worse??

I replaced 2 of the small sized fues (15 amp) in fuse box beside the battery that i could see had blown but that hasnt made a difference.

Would i have blown the main fuse and where is this located?

Any help really appreciated, feel silly enough for doing this + cant afford to be spending big money fixing it.
Stabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Lightbulb That sux0rz

Looking at the owners manual (p263) it looks as though there is a fuse on the actual power wire off the battery. I'd check that first. Then the other two fuse boxes. Make sure you don't see any burnt wires anywhere. I would say check the voltage on the battery, but since you had to jump it I guess that would mean its already dead lol. Hopefully you didn't fry the computer. That sounds like an expensive fix.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Stabilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
The problem with sending the current through the negative terminals that there is no fused protection in that direction...

You may have fried your alternator or ECU, or it could be one of the larger fusible links in your fuseboxes...

Might want to first try hooking up a new battery to see if it's not just the battery that's dead...You could also get an inexpensive voltmeter to check if there is current...

Cheers

Cheers for your reply, i'll pick up a voltmeter later and try it. I should get about 10 volts across the terminals yes?

Fact that i was getting absolutely nothing when i turned the ignition had me thinking it wasnt the battery, i wasnt even getting warning lights or engine trying to kick in. nothing.

any other suggestions i should also try? thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Stabilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
Looking at the owners manual (p263) it looks as though there is a fuse on the actual power wire off the battery. I'd check that first. Then the other two fuse boxes. Make sure you don't see any burnt wires anywhere. I would say check the voltage on the battery, but since you had to jump it I guess that would mean its already dead lol. Hopefully you didn't fry the computer. That sounds like an expensive fix.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

Yeah really hope i havent fried the computer! reading one too many horror stories online ...has me panicking!!

I'll try that fuse on the power wire, didnt notice it earlier. thanks for your help. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Many cars now have reverse polarity protection, but looking at the EWDs, the Yaris definitely does not. If you are lucky the 60A main fusible link popped and possibly the 120A Alternator one as well (on that same block).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I gotta believe you popped a fuse somewhere. What is the test for a fried ECM? Wouldnt there be a CEL and an error code if that was the case? Seems Ive crossed jumper wires plenty of times without this happening!
Oh boy Im re reading your post here! You hooked up the batterys backwards and THEN tried to start it? Ive touched the terminals backwards but never tried to crank it like that!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabilo View Post
Cheers for your reply, i'll pick up a voltmeter later and try it. I should get about 10 volts across the terminals yes?

Fact that i was getting absolutely nothing when i turned the ignition had me thinking it wasnt the battery, i wasnt even getting warning lights or engine trying to kick in. nothing.

Quote:
Yeah really hope i havent fried the computer! reading one too many horror stories online ...has me panicking!!

I'll try that fuse on the power wire, didnt notice it earlier. thanks for your help. I'll let you know how that goes.

not trying to be rude, but to be perfectly honest, i am 80% sure that you ECU is fried as you don't even get warning lights(my suggestion in this case, check ebay or your local wrecking yard)... for battery voltage on a goo d battery, you should be getting 12.6 volts... however, just for the sake of argument, that fusible link is a good idea to check...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I gotta believe you popped a fuse somewhere. What is the test for a fried ECM? Wouldnt there be a CEL and an error code if that was the case? Seems Ive crossed jumper wires plenty of times without this happening!
Oh boy Im re reading your post here! You hooked up the batterys backwards and THEN tried to start it? Ive touched the terminals backwards but never tried to crank it like that!
test for fried ecm, is to try a "known good" ecm... won't really be a CEL as those are governed by the ecm

i like this smiley...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Someone did that to my old car, a '71 ford. Although no electronics, it did fry the alternator. Sorry, closest I could help. I dunno about where you are, but we have some places here in the states that do free alternator testing. Might see if that is something that is available in your area.

Best of luck!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Stabilo

lads, thanks for the suggestions so far. Im hoping it is the fusible link thats the problem ...my problem, I can't find it.

the manual for the 07 yaris seems to show it as being right beside the battery, i've looked and tried to follow the wires but cant locate it. i have a '00 model, apologies if this is a stupid question BUT could these fuses be in with one of the relays?? just i cant see any other fuses anywhere.

cheers.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
lads, thanks for the suggestions so far. Im hoping it is the fusible link thats the problem ...my problem, I can't find it.

the manual for the 07 yaris seems to show it as being right beside the battery, i've looked and tried to follow the wires but cant locate it. i have a '00 model, apologies if this is a stupid question BUT could these fuses be in with one of the relays?? just i cant see any other fuses anywhere.

cheers.
do you have a squarish block that kinda hangs off the battery?

i like this smiley...
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
do you have a squarish block that kinda hangs off the battery?
The Fusible Link Block is attached to the positive battery terminal:

2000 Yaris Fusible Link.jpg

If you pop the cover you'll see four link locations (three of which are populated):

2000 Yaris Fusible Link Block.jpg
Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I blew my fusible link by accident not too long ago... but its located under the red cover with the "+" on it over the positive terminal, it just snaps into place. Pull the red cover off and you'll see 2 60A fuses and if you have no electrical systems working sounds like both of those fuses blew.

Good news is they are like $12 from Toyota, call them and ask them to order you a fusible link, describe its location and its a super simple install

* in the drawing above look under those fuses for the 60A fuses, those are like 20A (I think). The ones you are looking for are actually in the plastic and require that you replace the whole plastic connector piece. The 60A fuses are not relay-styled fuses
Old 06-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I blew my fusible link by accident not too long ago... but its located under the red cover with the "+" on it over the positive terminal, it just snaps into place. Pull the red cover off and you'll see 2 60A fuses and if you have no electrical systems working sounds like both of those fuses blew.

Good news is they are like $12 from Toyota, call them and ask them to order you a fusible link, describe its location and its a super simple install

* in the drawing above look under those fuses for the 60A fuses, those are like 20A (I think). The ones you are looking for are actually in the plastic and require that you replace the whole plastic connector piece. The 60A fuses are not relay-styled fuses

From the service manual, it appears that the 2000-2002 Yaris/Echo Fusible Link was a little bit different. The Main fusible link in the picture above is the equivalent to the built into the plastic ones in the newer Yaris.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
The problem with sending the current through the negative terminals that there is no fused protection in that direction...

You may have fried your alternator or ECU, or it could be one of the larger fusible links in your fuseboxes...

Might want to first try hooking up a new battery to see if it's not just the battery that's dead...You could also get an inexpensive voltmeter to check if there is current...

Cheers
Just a small point - a voltmeter checks for voltage. To check for current you need an ammeter.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:

With a fully charged battery, you should get about 12 volts, since this is a 12 volt system. When the engine is running, you should see around 14 volts - this indicates that the alternator is working. Note that you could have a completely non-functioning battery or a blown main fuse, even with normal voltage. Voltage is just a measure of electrical "pressure" so to speak - if there is an open circuit (for example, a broken internal connector in the battery) little or no current will flow.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I fried the Ecu in my wifes 4-Runner the same way. A very expensive lesson to learn.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I havent read all the post but i can tell you, you have blown the main fuse. Which is why there is no power on the dash. Some cars can start with the main fuse gone but nothing electrical will work. Replace that fuse first and see what happens. After that to check if the computer has been damaged see if the check engine light turns on and then off when you first start that car that is a indicator that the computer has completed its self check. If it dosnt come on something is damaged.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics, fuse blown, reverse polarisation, yaris