Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
Stabilo

Drives: Yaris
thanks for advice from all.

been away with work so havent had a chance to come back on this / try fix damage i caused.

CTScott, that drawing was spot on... i had pulled off the red battery cover but hadnt realised that same fuse pic was on the cover. fuses are in a rectangular box which is located behind the battery ...ive yet to take it out but pic shows its a couple of 60A fuses and a 100A which i've order this mornin from toyota, only cost about a 10er. So hopefully when i replace them tomorrow night it'll work ...hopefully!

again cheers everyone for advice so far, i'll let you know how it works out...
Stabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Although I'm reading this topic thread for the first time. This is a dynamite response/effort from forum members. Atta-boys all around. You guys (girls) Rock!

Forum Admin please give them the Yaris forum equivalent of a gold star.
I'm seriously impressed
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
goku87

Drives: Black HB
gold star, hehe.

let us know what happens after you get that fuse replaced.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah i had to jumpstart my car last night... but i read up on how to do it beforehand =)... i checked various sources... the people that were going to jump me were about to do it wrong and i was like woah let me do it..

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
yeah i had to jumpstart my car last night... but i read up on how to do it beforehand =)... i checked various sources... the people that were going to jump me were about to do it wrong and i was like woah let me do it..
It's amazing how many people don't realize that it's plus to plus and minus to minus. For some reason people intuitively (and of course incorrectly) think that they should cross them.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I always have to stop and think about it - just becuase with, say, your tv remote the batteries are pos to neg/neg to pos so it just gets embedded into our heads. Hell even with cords you always connect the male to the female - it's never male/male or female/female - except for when you're under the hood lol
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Or maybe at a party in college.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
goku87

Drives: Black HB

but jumper cables are usually color coded. i dont see why people would think that they shouldn't match up the colors...?
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #27
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post

but jumper cables are usually color coded. i dont see why people would think that they shouldn't match up the colors...?
for those people that is because "I know better than the manufacturer"

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #28
Stabilo

Good evening lads!

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this after all the advice but i finally got home and got some time to have a look at the car.

i replaced the burnt out 100A fuse ...got in the car quite optimistic, turned the key but nothing happened.

I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was practically dead (cant remember the exact reading - very low!) so i hooked up the jump leads (properly this time - lesson learned!!) and tried to start it up...

Car tried to start but just would kick in, starter was trying but engine just wouldn't kick in.

i had electrics working but battery wouldn't hold the charge then so guess that needs to be replaced as a starting point?

Even with the battery hooked up though and 12 volts on it the car wouldn't start so guess i have some other problem?

Any ideas???

Not sure what my next step is! Appreciate the input.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #29
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Leave a trickle charger on the battery overnight and try again. Just might work. A dead battery will draw off so much current from the jumper that it might not start. Of course you may have to have a new battery. But I've gotten some to come back to life (for a while) that were pretty thoroughly dead.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Definitely, try with a good battery to start with.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #31
Stabilo

Mornin!

yeah im deff going to pick up a new battery today and try that.

One question though... Does the fact that it wouldnt start while my battery was hooked up and charging from a good battery not mean that I have some other problem ...ie. even if the battery was totally dead, when a live charge is put across it would it not be expected to function as if fully charged? (I hope im making sense there and you know what im trying to get at)

Thanks again lads - feel im becoming less of an idiot when it comes to cars by using this forum so cheers for your efforts! Given my first post was about putting jumper cables on the wrong way i guess the only way is up. haha
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabilo View Post
Mornin!

yeah im deff going to pick up a new battery today and try that.

One question though... Does the fact that it wouldnt start while my battery was hooked up and charging from a good battery not mean that I have some other problem ...ie. even if the battery was totally dead, when a live charge is put across it would it not be expected to function as if fully charged? (I hope im making sense there and you know what im trying to get at)

Thanks again lads - feel im becoming less of an idiot when it comes to cars by using this forum so cheers for your efforts! Given my first post was about putting jumper cables on the wrong way i guess the only way is up. haha
Like YarisHilton said above, connecting a good battery in parallel with a totally dead battery does not always work. If the bad battery has shorted cells, it will drag the good battery down to well under 12 volts.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #33
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well you found the burnt out fuse so thats all to the good. Looks like your car might rise from the grave and walk again!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #34
Stabilo

Thumbs up

well lads, happy ending to this thread ...Car is running again!!!

there was another blown fuse, should have spotted it earlier, checked it about 5 times + convinced it wasn't blown but it obviously was. (didnt look like it had but changed it anyway) Lucky for me ...it turned out to be the ECU fuse which obviously by blowing saved me having to dish out a whole heap of cash on a new ECU.

Battery may need to be replaced, gave it a good aul charge but its fairly old anyway so not sure if it'll be up to the job.

So in summary without all my confusion inbetween ...Hooked up jump leads the wrong way + started car ...car died ...all electrics gone ...replaced 100A fusible link ...Replaced couple of fuses in main fuse box under hood ...jumped car properly and charged dead battery ...may need to replace battery but running right now!

Thanks for all the advice on here Im sure it was hard enough to read and post without abusing my idiocy.

So Thanks, Takk, Danke, Gratias, Obrigado, Arigato, Go raibh maith agaibh, hvala, grazie, etc...
Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #35
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'm glad that worked out!!!!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #36
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Glad you are now back on the road.