Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
http://www.tyrestretch.com/

Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
I gotta learn how to put the measurements together to get the right tire stretch, You guys been hella helpful dude. I wanna get that stretch to make the tire wider but not too much to lose drivability. I figure stretching the tire makes the drivability better by a slight ratio but we'll see what helps. I like the function over form but I wanna make it show ready as possible with out losing too much drivability.
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
No problem!

For what I've read over the years there are basically 4 companies in the world who make car tires: and they make several different brands under the same roof. Basically you're paying more to get a name brand you know. Think of Yokohama as the name brand and Nanking as the generic brand. Essentially the same thing but one costs less cause its "generic"
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
The above is not true. There are more than four companies who produce tires, each with their own brands. A lot of R&D are put into "brand" name tires, hence the cost.
Yokohama Tires are primarily made in Japan and USA, sometimes Thailand, depending on what tire model. Nankang tires are from Taiwan.

Hanzo - what wheel size have you decided on? You can figure it out once you've decided on your wheel size without going overboard like you said.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ +1. I sell tires, and he is correct.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANZO_187 View Post
Damn, Yeah I'm not gonna lie I got a heavy foot at times an I enjoy the quick sharp turns and all. I might get a slight stretch or I might just keep it legit and run 16's or 17's tops.
I'm not saying that stretched tires are safe, but drifters drift with stretched tires all the time. I take corners hard with 205/40/17 tires on 17x8 rims. You just gotta maintain high psi (I run max psi, then again, I'll always run max psi for mpg purposes, regardless of stretched tires or not). The thing you have to look out for is pot holes and such, but I'll always look out for this regardless if I'm in my car or our stock (aside from Tokico Blues) Camry simply because I don't want to take a chance or messing up the alignment or bending a rim.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
And for the record, 205/40 on a 8j rim is stretching stretch for me. Any more, and it'll just look stupid imo.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

@Yarisugi I'm plannin on either 16's or 17's at most. I got the 15' steel wheels right now and I really wanna ride on some new rims BUT knowing that I could ride a stretched tire set up on my steel wheels isn't such a bad idea. I could save my current tires which are in solid condition, try the stretch tire set up and figure what I wanna do and if its not to my liking I can just reset to my previous set up and figure out from there what to do and where to go from there.

When it comes to trial and error I know but one thing for certain is to have a base of where you can return your plans from. I have 185/60/R15's right now and I don't know about much when it comes to breaking down what sizes I need to switch up to get a mid to mild ratio on a stretched tire set up. I want the stretch for a performance/style set up. I don't know if it may make sence to anyone else but this is what my goal is.

Its a daily driver, and a hope to be semi show car with a few performance perks. That is my current goal on this Yaris.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
I stand corrected: maybe I misunderstood what people have told me.

Either way I have had zero problems with these "off brands" and some have been as good performing as name brands.

Tyrestretch.com has pictures of just about every tire/wheel size combo you can think of
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Nankangs are one of the best for stretching. The ns2s come in an XL that have a lip protector which adds some meat to cushion the lips. Another good tire is the falken ziex 512 which is no longer made but you sometimes find them. I just stretched them on some 17x9.75s in 215/40 for my new setup. Just slightly less aggressive than 165 on 8.

Laz got it right, the stretching idea originates from the japanese drift scene where its called Hipari, they stretched tires because it created more sidewall rigidity and made the rubber like more taught which helps in snapping directional changes at full ass slide. So its not necessarily dangerous but you need to be a cautious driver, avoid any road blemishes, and keep on eye on them. I daily my shit on hella slam and stretch. It can be done.

Last edited by 1.5; 01-02-2013 at 09:50 PM.
1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #29
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

You know what your right...I'm gonna get this stretch for sure. I'm gonna see what I come up with and I'm gonna make it happen. Besides, I dodge pot holes and more just for fun...even the simple extra lowered man hole lids on disney property...Which I make a point to dodge daily. But yeah man if I didn't think about that. If you drive it daily and all and you have a solid set up to top it off then I'm in for stretch tires. TIME TO GET CRACKIN!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
G-Ammo

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009; 1.0 3 Cil.
Good luck friend :D I hope i will get my stuff this month... and I can upload some nice pics my yaris!! let us know when u get ur things man !
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANZO_187 View Post
You know what your right...I'm gonna get this stretch for sure. I'm gonna see what I come up with and I'm gonna make it happen. Besides, I dodge pot holes and more just for fun...even the simple extra lowered man hole lids on disney property...Which I make a point to dodge daily. But yeah man if I didn't think about that. If you drive it daily and all and you have a solid set up to top it off then I'm in for stretch tires. TIME TO GET CRACKIN!!!!!
No prob remember pick your wheels first so you know what tires to look for. Dont goo too narrow though or you wont have many tires to chose from to give you a stretch.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

For sure, Dude btw I was just ridin around disney area and 192, You know any one that rides a Red Yaris, with -camber, I think stretched wheels and the rims were a bright green? looked sick as hell, saw A-LOT of Yaris action today, and yeah bro when I get my wheels I'm most likely gonna get my tires from Onlinetires.com thanks for that link dude, you guys know your shizz.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #33
Form>Function

Don't know him but flag him down and get him on here

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Sounds like vten? lol. Nah, what the heck would he be doing all the way over there?

yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #35
Form>Function

Id be chilling with him if he was lol

Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Lol naw not it, It was decked out with some lime greenish rims with a silver lip, a decal on the front bumper that had hate for speed bumps sticker, tinted windows to legal limit, after market exhaust, negative camber on the rear and less on the front...In other words his shit was a sick set up.

I said to my self...That will be like mine one day...lol