Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #73
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
I would recommend the automatic transmission for the Yaris. On the manual transmission the clutch is hard to work with, especially in heavy city driving. In city driving the automatic transmission would give better fuel mileage as it computes the best shifting point better that a driver could do with a manual transmission.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #74
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
so what has the original poster decided on?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #75
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
honda
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #76
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
The only viable reason for purchasing a manual transmission is the simple fact that you like to shift and/or it makes you feel one with the car and more in control on the road. However; these are all purely psychological factors that not all drivers can relate to.
I'll concede that these are the primary reasons my last three cars have been manuals (including the Yaris).
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #77
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I didn't read all of the posts, but a manual transmission is more capable of performance oriented driving than a manual, in any car, especially an econobox. The HP to the wheels is greater with a manual, the car is faster and also tends to be lighter.

In a city, an Auto is preferable, but I want performance first, so I went with the manual. But this car is not a performance car out of the box, and if you are not going to try and make it so, the AUTO gives you the ability to chat or one-handed text and drive all day long.

I would imagine resale will be better on the Auto as well.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #78
Edd

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderkitten View Post
the AUTO gives you the ability to chat or one-handed text and drive all day long.
Anyone who buys automatic for this reason is completely self indulgent and should NOT be on the road. It's dangerous and illegal, actually worse than being at 0.08 BAC.
The problem is, whether you are looking at the phone or otherwise, your concentration on the road and your surroundings is broken and you put other people at risk. This applies to handsfree as well (but it's not AS bad and is actually legal).
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #79
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
ENTIRELY MISLEADING AND ABSOLUTE BLOODY NONSENSE!

You're living in the dark ages when automatic transmissions "lost power" through the design of the torque converters. That isn't the case today with Toyota's automatic transmissions.

In fact, many of today's automatic transmissions are every bit as quick as manuals, and are often quicker!

Don't be afraid to step on the Yaris' accelerator and you'll match the stick shift through the quarter mile, and you'll the clean the manual if the driver is even slightly off shift.

The only place, you may wish you had a manual is on the circuit when entering and exiting corners. But, even there, you can manually shift the Yaris' automatic tranny with some impressive performance.

There may be something positive to be said for the manual shift re drifting if the Yaris were a rear wheel drive car... but that's a moot point.

Furthermore, the Toyota automatic is every bit as fuel efficient and reliable as the manual, and over the long run will cost less to maintain.

Indeed, most Yaris automatics are getting better gas mileage than manual shifts due to the driving habits, capabilities, or inexperience of manual shift drivers.

Any argument against purchasing the automatic transmission in favour of the manual shift based on superior performance, better gas mileage, or reliabilty is just plain uninformed foolishness!

The only viable reason for purchasing a manual transmission is the simple fact that you like to shift and/or it makes you feel one with the car and more in control on the road. However; these are all purely psychological factors that not all drivers can relate to.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...aris&trimid=-1

If you would click this link you will see a performance section,compare the sedan m/t with the sedan a/t.

M/T 0-60=8.84 1/4 mile=16.97 1/4 mile trap speed=84.00
A/T 0-60=10.29 1/4 mile=17.96 1/4 mile trap speed=77.30

That almost 7 mph difference shows a huge differance in power put down to the ground,and the 1 sec quicker in the 1/4 seals the deal.

You can tell yourself whatever you want to help yourself sleep at night though.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #80
Irishlass
Goddess

Drives: Absolutely Red LB
I'll chime in on this one! A newby here and manual all the way. I'm giving the mice under the hood all the help I can. I can see automatic if you're stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic.....
Irishlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #81
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...aris&trimid=-1

If you would click this link you will see a performance section,compare the sedan m/t with the sedan a/t.

M/T 0-60=8.84 1/4 mile=16.97 1/4 mile trap speed=84.00
A/T 0-60=10.29 1/4 mile=17.96 1/4 mile trap speed=77.30

That almost 7 mph difference shows a huge differance in power put down to the ground,and the 1 sec quicker in the 1/4 seals the deal.

You can tell yourself whatever you want to help yourself sleep at night though.
Unfortunately, most manual shift drivers are not competent enough to match these 1/4 mile times. For the vast majority of drivers, the automatic transmission will prove faster and more fuel efficient.

Listen, I'm not knocking manual transmissions. I've owned and rebuilt dozens of imports with manual transmissions. I still own and regularly drive several lovingly cared for sport cars; bugeye Sprite, Sunbeam Tiger, Cooper S, and MR2. I enjoy driving with the manual transmision in each of these cars.

I also raced Class "C" sedan all over Canada for many years, so I fully appreciate the performance and driveability of manual transmissions.

But the Yaris is not a sport car, and most drivers are not sport car enthusiasts, but just regular guys looking for a neat little fuel efficient car that they can add a few well chosen accessories to make it look more sporty.

After test-driving the Yaris stick shift, I was dissapointed; this is not a performance tranny and clutch... far far from it! Sure you can make some mods to modestly improve it, but it will never...

Anyway, what I am saying is that for most owners, the Yaris is a daily driver, and the automatic transmission just makes more sense. Period.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #82
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Unfortunately, most manual shift drivers are not competent enough to match these 1/4 mile times. For the vast majority of drivers, the automatic transmission will prove faster and more fuel efficient.

Listen, I'm not knocking manual transmissions. I've owned and rebuilt dozens of imports with manual transmissions. I still own and regularly drive several lovingly cared for sport cars; bugeye Sprite, Sunbeam Tiger, Cooper S, and MR2. I enjoy driving with the manual transmision in each of these cars.

I also raced Class "C" sedan all over Canada for many years, so I fully appreciate the performance and driveability of manual transmissions.

But the Yaris is not a sport car, and most drivers are not sport car enthusiasts, but just regular guys looking for a neat little fuel efficient car that they can add a few well chosen accessories to make it look more sporty.

After test-driving the Yaris stick shift, I was dissapointed; this is not a performance tranny and clutch... far far from it! Sure you can make some mods to modestly improve it, but it will never...

Anyway, what I am saying is that for most owners, the Yaris is a daily driver, and the automatic transmission just makes more sense. Period.
I agree MOST people are faster in an auto,But thats cause most people can't drive well. I was just rebuting the fact that you said with modern tech autos are just as fast even the yaris.

Don't get me wrong,I have a manual valve bodied th350 in my chevelle,but that thing has so much power its more about getting it to the ground consistantly.

If you got a yaris purely for mpg and comfort than yes it would be dumb to get a manual. However if you bought it with the plans to use it for performance use, its dumb to get the auto.

The manual yaris isn't all that slow,I keep hearing people say oh its a econo box it will never be fast,yet you hear this from people with slush box autos that are 1 second behind in the 1/4(10 car lengths). Of course you think the car is slow,you bought the power sucking AUTO thats doing 7mph slower at the end of a 1/4 mile.

You will dump all kinds of money into an auto just to get it to the performance levels of a stock manual. I went through the same thing on 1 of my 5.0 mustangs with an aod.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #83
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
My a/t finds the right gears fast and easy. On test ride watch the cool light shifts easy after lights out. go for the a/t.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #84
KYYaris
I've made a post!

Drives: loaded
***1st post***

I love my new Yaris. Just bought a red 07 liftback w/power package and keyless. Let me tell you my story.

I have been following the Yaris since the early days of the Echo in the US. When the water pump on my 92 deville went out (only had 88000 miles), I went to Toyota of Louisville and test-drove the auto-liftback.

It sucked.

It was very slow, and it felt very sluggish off the line. I had never driven a manual and didn't want to learn (especially on a new car). So, I gave up.

I loved the Yaris so much, I learned to drive on my mother-in-law's saturn sc2. I got the hang of it (somewhat) and decided to try the manual on for size.

I went back to the dealer, and they had one manual. It was sitting in the back of their lot, facing away from the building, like a pouting step-child. Since my original visit, they had sold 11 new cars - 7 of them being Yari - all autos.

My manual-enthusiast buddy and I stepped into the 5spd liftback. I took off. It was a bit sketchy at first, but a funny thing happened on the test drive. I stalled it out while turning around ina neighborhood, and a blue mazda bb series pickup got behind me and started revving his engine. That pissed me off. I slowly put the car into 1st, and TOOK OFF. I spun tires for a moment and got up to about 20 mph and then chirped them in 2nd .

The manual was exponentially more noticeably powerful that the auto. That was enough for me to make my decision - I will never drive an automatic again.
KYYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #85
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYYaris View Post
***1st post***

I love my new Yaris. Just bought a red 07 liftback w/power package and keyless. Let me tell you my story.

I have been following the Yaris since the early days of the Echo in the US. When the water pump on my 92 deville went out (only had 88000 miles), I went to Toyota of Louisville and test-drove the auto-liftback.

It sucked.

It was very slow, and it felt very sluggish off the line. I had never driven a manual and didn't want to learn (especially on a new car). So, I gave up.

I loved the Yaris so much, I learned to drive on my mother-in-law's saturn sc2. I got the hang of it (somewhat) and decided to try the manual on for size.

I went back to the dealer, and they had one manual. It was sitting in the back of their lot, facing away from the building, like a pouting step-child. Since my original visit, they had sold 11 new cars - 7 of them being Yari - all autos.

My manual-enthusiast buddy and I stepped into the 5spd liftback. I took off. It was a bit sketchy at first, but a funny thing happened on the test drive. I stalled it out while turning around ina neighborhood, and a blue mazda bb series pickup got behind me and started revving his engine. That pissed me off. I slowly put the car into 1st, and TOOK OFF. I spun tires for a moment and got up to about 20 mph and then chirped them in 2nd .

The manual was exponentially more noticeably powerful that the auto. That was enough for me to make my decision - I will never drive an automatic again.