Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I finally test drove a Yaris Hatch...

Okay, so I've been interested in the Yaris (hatch) ever since the second gen Vitz came out (JDM version of the Yaris) in particular for some time now. I would really love to have one but for me personally it doesn't make sense and I'm not in the financial situation I can really afford it.
So today I took the plunge and went to the dealership to test drive one (check it out as I've seen them outside but I wanted to test it myself) as I knew they were on the lots. I just walked out there and of course like a shark after fresh blood a sales person was out there. He was nice at first and of course asked my situation, I was honest and said I would love to have the Yaris hatch but I'm really not in the market. So we were talking and I know he was doing his job and trying to convience me. So he eventually gives up and is about to go in. I ask if I can have a test drive. Boy was he discusted, I can tell in his sigh (rude kind). I was like well if you don't want to or if its too much trouble, and he's like its not too much trouble its just that you're not in the market (Things sort of turned sour at that point), but for the longest time I wanted to test drive it.
SIDE NOTE: Okay the sales person has a valid point but how am I suppose to know for future reference or possible buy if I haven't test drove one to solidify my choice or even desire for the car?
I should have just said forget it and walk off but I stood my ground and he gave me a test drive...of course he came along. I like the hatch and it was good handeling although I thought the brakes were or seemed a little spongy (compared to my ECHO) and eventhough I own an ECHO the gauge cluster on the Yaris was sort of an adjustment as its facing flat and not at an angle towards driver. Otherwise I wish I had more time to mess with it, check out the back seat and storage compartments. They had a decent amount of powerpackage models on the lot. So we got back to the dealership and he gave me a hypolthetical estimate if I traded in my car. I was like I'm tempted but no. This is the first "bad" experince or vibe with a salesperson I had at this dealership, the guy was rude and preasured me which before at this dealership wasn't a real issue when I test drove cars before. It must have been a slow day and plus its after the holidays I'm sure buisness is slow. Anyway that's my pointless novel.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
yea, the brakes seem to have more of a "GM" feel to em, which I don't mind at all, an overly sensitive brake is annoying...although the yaris is a liiiitttttle too soft for me right now.

Never say your not interested, btw. Test drive what you want, and say you'll think about it... its the salesman's job to sell you the car, if he knows he's not getting a sale, he won't bother.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
You should have let him try and work a deal out for you. Sometimes you think you can't afford something but dealerships have ways of working things out.

If you own your Echo outright you could probably trade it in and end up with a sub $200 a month payment on a brand new car. Just buy the base model.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
You should have let him try and work a deal out for you. Sometimes you think you can't afford something but dealerships have ways of working things out.

If you own your Echo outright you could probably trade it in and end up with a sub $200 a month payment on a brand new car. Just buy the base model.
this is very true!

had I of had a trade in (or a reasonable down payment for that matter)... I would have definitely been under 200 a month :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
You guys have valid points and after the test drive we went into the dealership and sat at his table. He came up with a estimate if I traded my car in and with what I wanted (Powerpackage) the payments would have come out to around $160 a month which isn't bad at all, certainly better than the payments I was paying on the ECHO which was $265 I believe...but that's because I didn't put down a deposit.
I told him I wanted the Yaris but wasn't really in the position right now to get one....if I really wanted one yeah I could get it but...I just finished school and now I'm looking for a full-time job and I need to save money to move out of the house and also anticipate more loans (school) later this year so...I think once I get "settled" then I will be more serious. Right now I want to enjoy no car loans for the moment and I invested a decent amount of money into my car so its hard to part with it, if I didn't I would be more willing to part with it. And my baby serves me well, great milage and it has pep to boot, just like the Yaris. Don't get me wrong both are great cars!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #6
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
A bad experience at a dealer omg say it isnt so............! Ok I use to do security and had to drive a 2dr echo with a manual to oklahoma 2days a week from wichita and I liked it. It had pretty good power, enough to go 95 atleast. I never had a problem with passing people and it small so not really a police magnet. It had the factory body kit so it looked good but the only thing I would of changed is to have it the same color as the car not the grey. Well plus since it is a light car it got tossed about alot. Course putting some wider lowpro tires would help. But all around I was pleased with it.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Racheal

Drives: '07 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Racheal
My sister knew the car salesman pretty good which was bad for me in the end. We went back several times to test drive it. He even knew neither myself nor my sister could drive stick and handed us the keys and just drove off. We test drove the stick for 40 minutes one day. It was bad for me b/c the more i drove it.. the more i couldn't live without it. In the end, I chalked it up and just took the black one home.

My sister told me that the next morning I would wake up and feel sick to my stomach or Id run downstairs and start drooling over my little girl from the window. Of course I ran downstairs and drooled.

I was like you though - I wasn't in a financial situation to buy the car but my old one had died and I HAD to have a new car ASAP! The payments really aren't that bad for it and guess what.. neither is my insurance! (Yes, I'm under 25)
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
mkaresh

Drives: Mazda Protege5
I drive a lot of cars without being in the market for one. You can do this without lying. Just go in and say, "I'm interested in driving X." If they ask whether you're in the market, and they usually won't, just say you're not. Usually they'll let you take a test drive anyway, so that when you are in the market you'll have a positive view of the car and the dealer.

If they don't offer the test drive, then that's just the way it is. Rare in my experience except for the high performance cars like Evo, STI, and now MazdaSpeed3.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I don't understand what is so rare about the EVO or STi? I test drove an 06 Sti without a problem. Really low clutch pedal on that thing. I sure as hell am not working a $400+/month payment on one of those. Not worth the money.

We have an exotic dealership down here, Grand Prix imports, I actually got to test drive a Dinan M3.

I would have to say it is the salesperson that is stopping you from test drives. I'd also say that if you come in looking like a punk, I'd overlook you. Attitude has a lot to do with it.

IMHO of course
Old 01-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #10

Drives: 07 yaris
i never drove my evo before i purchased it. didnt need to knew what i was buying. when i sold mitsi we would not let people drive the evo of course the sale was contingent apon that. our customers and the evo community did not want an evo that had test drive miles as the breakin period did not allow for over 4krpm shifts or full spool until after 650 miles.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
If the salesman was that way its a good chance it was not his fault. He was probaly in a sales meeting that morning and the salesmanager was probaly riding him. Most car salesman are not bad no matter what we think. Its the people above them that or pushing them. Think about it. If you got a salesmanager on you, a wife on you because she wants you to sell more because the kids need new clothes, shoes etc your going to be pushey. Read on edmunds.com about how one of their people went undercover as a car salesman. They hold nothing back.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote