Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #19
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Finally picked up my 2017 SE. Couldn't be happier! :)

Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #20
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
Looks good,Congrats have fun
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #21
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
That's a sharp interior. Congrats and enjoy.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #22
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Congrats! I can't wait to see it with everything installed.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Thank you everyone! 350 miles so far. I love how peppy the 1NZ feels. The chassis is tossable, the poor Turanza EL400s can't help but scream for mercy. Being a Toyota guy, I'm quite surprised by how much feedback is given from the steering wheel. My only gripe is the pedal positioning, it's difficult to heel toe unless your going in hot and are aggressive with the brakes, or, maybe I just suck at driving (most likely). The brake pedal position is much higher than the gas pedal, so if your trying to heel toe casually on your commute, reaching for the gas pedal is a total guessing game it feels like. I'll need to figure out a solution because it drives me nuts, I do have a G's accel pedal, but the bolt pattern is different...

Anywho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
That's a sharp interior. Congrats and enjoy.
The gauge cluster has to be my favorite! Love looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Congrats! I can't wait to see it with everything installed.
Soon!

Weighed the car last night, 2411 lbs. Wished my car laid off all the croissants before shipping out of France. Oh well. Most of the weight is probably from the extra standard safety features.

2017, SE, 5MT, Full tank of gas (don'the mind the fuel gauge in this picture) and brochures in the glove box.

F: 61.21%
R: 38.78%

Also picked up a brand new turd rear sway bar. I plastidipped it black because I don't want the attention.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
Thank you everyone! 350 miles so far. I love how peppy the 1NZ feels....
Weighed the car last night, 2411 lbs. Wished my car laid off all the croissants before shipping out of France. Oh well. Most of the weight is probably from the extra standard safety features
This is where the Gen 2 Yaris wins out. It's lighter, with a more immediate and responsive feel than the 3rd generation.

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #25
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
This is where the Gen 2 Yaris wins out. It's lighter, with a more immediate and responsive feel than the 3rd generation.

Why do you keep bringing up the same point?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Most people will probably repeat certain points in different threads, and that's the nature of bulletin boards in general. In this case I commented on an interesting point you made. And I'm very pleased to see that you're enjoying your new Yaris and I'm following your progress with great interest.

Last edited by tarkus; 11-20-2016 at 02:11 AM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #27
Captain Yaris

I've found the same problem with heel/toe driving. What I've learned to do is just be quick with my feet and also I've learned that 2000rpms corresponds with: 2nd gear - 20mph, 3rd gear - 30mph, 4th gear - 40mph. This way I can blip the throttle with out doing a full gauge scan. Just be fast, haha! Glad you are enjoying the car. BTW, any new pictures of exterior?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Most people will probably repeat certain points in different threads, and that's the nature of bulletin boards in general. In this case I commented on an interesting point you made. And I'm very pleased to see that you're enjoying your new Yaris and I'm following your progress with great interest.

Yeah we are on a forum, and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I noticed that you kept mentioning the 2nd Gen in various 3rd Gen threads that I posted in. I read your opinion the first time, and second, and so on.

Let's get back on track now, mods aren't going to post themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
I've found the same problem with heel/toe driving. What I've learned to do is just be quick with my feet and also I've learned that 2000rpms corresponds with: 2nd gear - 20mph, 3rd gear - 30mph, 4th gear - 40mph. This way I can blip the throttle with out doing a full gauge scan. Just be fast, haha! Glad you are enjoying the car. BTW, any new pictures of exterior?
I might make some spacers to bring the accel pedal out a bit, but for now I guess I'll just drive fast, because racecar!

Haven't had a chance to take any nice pictures of the car, and it just rained today in Socal. Cars pretty dirty, but I'll try to take some soon!

Since it was raining, I figured I would install the TRD Quick Shifter.

Removed the center console. Mostly clipped on, there was one 10mm bolt hidden underneath the rear cup holder. Once the bolt is removed, the console pops off. Don't forget to disconnect the Trac Off connector.

If you notice the shifter cables they have a spring loaded release that you turn 180 degrees clockwise to release and counterclockwise wise to tighten. I've never dealt with this style before, so it took me awhile to release it from the cage.

Caution: If you spin the release more than 180degrees you risk damaging the spring that is inside. I'm not good at reading Japanese, but this got my attention. It would suck breaking a shift cable, these guys are expensive.

One cool thing to note, the left cable that controls side to side is adjustable. You can adjust where side to side center is by unclipping 2 locking clips. TRD manual says to make sure that the measurement from the front of the cage to the middle of the pivot pin is 164.5mm, or about 6.475", I just rounded to 6.5". Shifter is pretty damn centered.

TRD (left) vs Stock (right):

Hard to tell anything is even modified :) Shifter feels more positive, a little more snick snick. Throws are a little bit shorter, which I like. I dislike aftermarket shifters that are so short you're not sure if it's 3rd or 5th you're going in to. Best part is I have not noticed any increased effort in shifting. It was a pleasure to drive around town before, but now I'm looking for any excuse to go out and putt around town with this engagingly slick mod.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #29
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

I guess this'll have to do Captain! Instagram pic with a shit load of filters showing Yaris and Prius meeting each other for the first time.

Magnetic Grey Metallic.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #30
Captain Yaris

Nice write up, it looks great. God, that color is amazing! I love my white as its really JDM looking, but your color looks great!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #31
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Thanks! I didn't get into as much detail as I wanted to though because of time constraints.

Can't go wrong with Super White. I wanted a color with the least maintenance, and it blends in with the rest of traffic, 2 for 1!

Just snapped this after leaving Target. Grey hides the dirt pretty well.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 AM   #32
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Since you have the 2017 model, does that mean that you have the safety sense c? i like that color, too! i wonder if the short shift that attaches above the transmission will work for this model, too.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #33
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

You're correct, mine is equipped with TSS-C. I could care less for it.

Best part though for anyone wondering, if you hold the TRAC OFF button for loner than 3 seconds, it disables; TRAC, VSC, and Pre-Collision Assist (auto brake).

Lane Departure is conveniently On or Off. As in, if you turn it Off and it stays off the next key cycle, unlike TRAC OFF.

I couldn't get a clear picture of the front camera, but here's the dash with the above mentioned assists off (lane departure only illuminates when it'starts on).

Not sure if the NCP90 TRD shifter linkage would work or not...I wondered the same thing, but since TRD Japan has the cage listed, I decided to spend the money, they designed it for a reason I kept telling myself...lol totally worth it once installed.
Small update:

Installed my TRD Duracon shifuto knoobu! Factory knob looks great, but the feel is meh. Like the quality feels cheap and it's pretty light. The turd knob is a bit heavier and I like the slick feel of the Duracon. Since the TRD is a lot shorter, I had to space the boot collar up an inch, or the collar would rattle around. I had some 12mm hoses lying around, so I cut an inch or so to put in between the boot collar and the lever collar. Shifter feel keeps on improving. Can't wait to throw some MT90 in this trans.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #34
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

I had the G's pedal set sitting in my garage for the longest (like my other parts.) The problem I had here was I didn't have the Yaris to reference the JDM pedal angle, which is totally wrong for LHD vehicles. It bends to the right, while LHD pedals bend to the left. Go figure.

I was planning to hack the G's pedal and make it work. But as I was organizing the garage, I found a set of SRP Racing Pedals that I bought for my '91 MR2 10 years ago lol. I decided to test fit just the accel pedal cover and it pretty much fits the curvature of the pedal.

All bolted up. It's easier to reach for the pedal, but I think I'll still make an inch spacer to bring it up some. The brake/clutch pads also feel tons better than the squishy squeaky rubber pads.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #35
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Do you have any issue with clearance for the gas pedal? I've been looking for a set of sport pedals for the 3rd gen cars and the shape of the gas pedal makes it a real problem. Pedals that fit the 2nd gen also fit the 3rd gen but the overlap on the gas pedal of the slanted part rubs up against the side of transmission tunnel and prevents the gas pedal from going all the way down. From the looks of your picture it seems like you would run into this problem.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #36
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

No interference here.

100% full travel until the pedal bottoms itself out on the carpet.

Pedal fully depressed: