Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
the 2%

The BMW i3's range is adequate for 98% of my normal daily driving, but today the company is having the Xmas lunch a few cities south so I had to drive the Garage Queen

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The 2%

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
That's the problem with electrics. An electric would probably work for me concerning my daily routine. (Other than the fact that I live in an apartment and have no where to charge it!) But maybe once or twice a year I HAVE to make a long trip. Several hundred miles, sometimes several thousand. What do I do then? Buy another car for long trip? Rent? Seems simpler just to own one car that can do both.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electrics, renewable energy, etc. As soon as there is an affordable electric car that can do 500 miles on a charge and recharge in 30 minutes I'll buy. Oh also there better be a fast charge station at every current gas station.

Eventually. Maybe.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
That's the problem with electrics. An electric would probably work for me concerning my daily routine. (Other than the fact that I live in an apartment and have no where to charge it!) But maybe once or twice a year I HAVE to make a long trip. Several hundred miles, sometimes several thousand. What do I do then? Buy another car for long trip? Rent? Seems simpler just to own one car that can do both.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electrics, renewable energy, etc. As soon as there is an affordable electric car that can do 500 miles on a charge and recharge in 30 minutes I'll buy. Oh also there better be a fast charge station at every current gas station.

Eventually. Maybe.
I like the idea of owning an electric car (or even a hybrid), but the only nice looking one (to me) is the VOLT, and I don't trust the Chevy brand. Heck, I don't think I have trust/faith in any brand at this point beyond Toyota or Subaru, lol. That might even change if/when Toyota starts using BMW engines in their global-platform Corolla, iM, etc. Back on the topic of electric, it's a real shame that Toyota insists on releasing the most unattractive vehicles possible when it comes to their US-spec hybrid or alternative-fuel type vehicles. Just make an aesthetically-pleasing 'normal looking car', that happens to be electric, for heaven's sake. That is what the VOLT is, basically.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I'd be a mess suffering from low-battery anxiety... even when the thing was fully charged. At this point, a hybrid would be my choice.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I'd be a mess suffering from low-battery anxiety... even when the thing was fully charged. At this point, a hybrid would be my choice.
I would have jumped on a Yaris hybrid if it was offered in the US. I just can't get beyond the styling of the Prius-C (or any Prius for that matter). The 2018 Prius C wouldn't be that bad, if it wasn't for those still-awful taillights - among the WORST I have ever seen on ANY car.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ Agreed. Tail lights are hideous, and those big fake overstyled front vents just look stupid. But, it's actually better looking than other Toyotas.

Toyota's design sense is polarizing at best. UGH!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Taillights > vents
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Kalispel

According to a recent news article about Toyota, by 2025, every model in the Toyota and Lexus line-up around the world will be available either as a dedicated electrified model or have an electrified (hybrid) option. I guess that means the Yaris will be discontinued in the US by then.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/toyot...ric-car-plans/
Old 12-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #10
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Unfortunately a very large price difference between Yaris and Prius C. The Yaris is heavily discounted here at present, while the Prius C isn't.

At current Australian prices for the vehicles and fuel, it would take 270000 kilometers to break even on the price difference.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
and im the .5% because i own a face lifted and rear lifted a spec 3 door :P
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote