Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
sd_007

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Help! Sway bar?

Hey everybody. So I've been looking at the site, and it looks like a sway bar is an upgrade I should probably invest in... I do have to ask, though, are there any downsides to doing it? Does it really matter if I get the 19mm or the 22mm thickness?

For the record, this is going to be the only modification I do... I really only drive to and from work and around town... Is this worth doing then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
sd_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Well being 22mm, the bar might make it a bit stiffer then a 19, but either one would do the trick and unless you really push the car to it's limits, you might not even tell the difference. Loren, what's your imput?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Why do you want the sway bar? What do you try to acomplish?

Do you feel like you car has too much body roll?
Do you feel a lot of understeer on the curves?

It all comes down to the way you are driving your car... If you haven't noticed the understeer and the body roll, then you won't feel a sway bar.

The sway bar will reduce body roll and understeering... basically
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
If you only want one upgrade and it's for handling you may want to consider lowering springs. I felt a huge difference both on cornering and at highway speeds (less turbulence), though I have a sedan. But good luck on whatever you do.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
llimonce

Drives: yaris sedan
i love the trd sway bar .. itīs a good investment
llimonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
A rear anti-sway bar would be an excellent lone upgrade.
Not only does it promote flatter cornering / reduced body lean but it greatly improved my sedans highway cross-wind manners. I've said it before, a rear swaybar should be on every Yaris, from the factory. It's that much better. And no downside.
For the record: I installed the bar about a month prior to the TRD springs and shocks going in. I commute 500 kl / 300 miles a week with mixed city and highway running.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I think I remember Garm or Loren saying that switching from their 19mm to their 23mm made a huge difference.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Agreed that these cars should come with the sway bar. I had mine installed when I did my springs though, but wow, what a difference!

I went with TRD, wasn't much else out there at the time. If I had waited, I would have gotten the thicker one garm is selling.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I'd get the 22mm if I were you. If you haven't noticed any body roll or anything yet, you'll still feel a huge difference with one of these. And if you lowered the Yaris a bit (like with Tanabe NF210 springs), you'd feel even more of a difference.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
I'd get the 22mm if I were you. If you haven't noticed any body roll or anything yet, you'll still feel a huge difference with one of these. And if you lowered the Yaris a bit (like with Tanabe NF210 springs), you'd feel even more of a difference.
I went from a Talon to the Yaris. Couldn't help but notice the bodyroll from day 1. The sloppy shifter was a worse shocker though. A short-shifter installed the first week fixed that annoyance.
If you've been driving a SUV, van or something like that previously then bodyroll has been your way-of-life and the Yaris may not seem bad.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
i love the trd sway bar .. itīs a good investment
It's good, I had one - but more expensive, though. The Ultra Racing 19mm bar is the same thing for about $30-40 less.

The larger bar is 23mm, not 22mm to be clear about that. And I agree that unless you are really pushing the car you would not feel the difference between the two.

You will, however, feel the effects of putting a sway bar on your car, any sway bar -- especially since it doesn't come with one already on there.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
TRD sway bar from Sparks was my first and best mod so far. Transforms the car, that and putting 40 psi in the stock tires. Took all of 15 minutes to install, I didnt even jack the car up or remove the wheels, piece of cake. You will not regret spending the money.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Are there any downsides to doing it? NO
Does it really matter if I get the 19mm or the 22mm thickness? NO
Is this worth doing then? YES
Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
However, for the non-experience driver, a 23 mm rear sway bar shouldn't be a first mod, right (since it makes the car more oversteer prone)?

It is on my mod list tho.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
604_Snooze
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
is there a difference between a rear sway bar and a rear sway link brace?
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote