Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Another rear spring option! Honda Fit springs!!

Hey guys,

I found out that Honda Fit rear springs will fit our car!

So here is the story, i am heading up to University of Michigan to do a rotation for 2 months. Thus i have my entire apartment in my car (with DF210's front and rear.) Well after the car was filled up, the back end sagged down really low. It looked awkward and scraped the exhaust.

When i got home, i helped my dad rotate his tires on his Honda Fit. Well looking at the rear suspension, it looked identical to our set up. So i measured the spring length on the car under the weight of the car and it was 9". From the other spring thread, we found that the car with DF210s had a spring length on the car of about 8.25". So if you were to use the stock Honda Fit spring, the car should sit about an inch too high in the rear. Now if you used a Fit lowering spring that lowers the car around an inch, it should sit at the same height as the Tanabe spring on the Yaris.

So another friend of mine with a Honda Fit let me borrow his stock rear springs (he has coilovers.) I installed them this afternoon. So before the rear was sagging about an inch, and now with the Fit springs, it sits a little higher than it did when it was unloaded!! :D Another advantage to the stock Fit rear spring is that the spring rate is 150 lbs vs 123 for the Tanabe.

So now, if i unload the car, you can assume that the rear springs will sit too high, by about an inch or so. So if you use the Fit lowering springs, the ride height should be just about the same. I left in both the upper and lower rubber insulators as well, so they can be removed to lower the car. Also, one can add a rubber coil spacer to raise the height if need be. But the important thing is the spring rate!! The rear spring rates for aftermarket Fit springs are great!! They run from 200-350 lbs!! http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-s...mparision.html

I have a friend who is close to the guys at Skunk2, and i know another guy who has contacts with A & J Racing. I may try to get both, but i will try to get one or the other and see how it turns out. But right now, the stock springs fit great! If i were to pull both the rubber insulators out, it may sit just about how it was with the DF210's after the car is unloaded. We will see sunday after i get to Michigan.

Anyways, hope this helps someone! It would be nice to see if we can get Skunk2 to sell us rear spring sets so we can use them as an optional rear spring upgrade! As for the front springs, the front Fit springs are very similar in rates to the Yaris springs, so it doesnt really matter to use them, but judging from their design, they would not fit, but someone else feel free to try!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote