Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
268i

Drives: 06' Yaris 1.3l
Transmission Service/Flush

Hi All,

I have an 06' Yaris with approx 45,000mi on it.
Although this seems quite low, 99% of driving is in the city, stopping and starting. Hence at the most recent service (not at the stealership fyi) I was told that i'd be good to have Transmission Flushed/Serviced.
Quote for $280 (New Zealand Dollars) using Genuine T-IV Fluid.

(I seem to see a lot of others, in the US, using WS fluid. However, on the dipstick, T-IV is what it requires.)

I email a local "Oil Changers" chain for price quote and I get this email response:

The latter being considerably cheaper, i'm inclined to go with it.
Should I stick with using Genuine Toyota ATF? Any benefits from using a Snythetic WS, or WS Spec'd Fluids?
268i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
check out this thread http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36538
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
As in the link above states, don't have a trans force-"flushed". But replacing the filter, pan gasket, and the fluid that does drain out by gravity, and cleaning the pan, is fairly cheap and easy. And do only use true Toyota ATF-WS -- I think I needed 5 quarts to do mine.

My drain pan has a convenient OEM drain plug, so in a couple of years I'll likely drain it down again without changing the filter.

No difference in performance observed in my case; no chunks in my pan, just the normal light dusting of clutch material.

Like the link says, if the fluid is burned, you've got bigger problems. In my experience, changing the fluid and filter in such situations only makes the dying transmission shift/slip worse. Save up for a rebuild instead.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
268i

Drives: 06' Yaris 1.3l
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
As in the link above states, don't have a trans force-"flushed". But replacing the filter, pan gasket, and the fluid that does drain out by gravity, and cleaning the pan, is fairly cheap and easy. And do only use true Toyota ATF-WS -- I think I needed 5 quarts to do mine.

My drain pan has a convenient OEM drain plug, so in a couple of years I'll likely drain it down again without changing the filter.

No difference in performance observed in my case; no chunks in my pan, just the normal light dusting of clutch material.

Like the link says, if the fluid is burned, you've got bigger problems. In my experience, changing the fluid and filter in such situations only makes the dying transmission shift/slip worse. Save up for a rebuild instead.
Thanks. ATF doesn't seem to be burnt. But I have experienced delayed shifting into 4th. Another thing would be delayed response from the car when I put on the gas when turning a corner (engine revs, wheels don't move)
268i is offline   Reply With Quote