Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Ryano

Drives: Toyota Yaris YR Upgrade 10
Question Coolant Temp lights

Hi all,

I know that my 2010 Yaris doesn't show temperature via a gauge, instead it uses 2 lights, a COOL green light to show cool engine temperature, and a red one to show the engine is overheated/ing.

I have an Ultra-gauge hooked in to the OBDII port to show my RPM, speed, etc, including engine temperature.

I know from experience that:
> The COOL light turns off at around about 55 C
> Normal temperature on the motorways and driving at speed is 82-84 C
> The highest I've seen it at is 97 C, when climbing a mountain with a fully loaded car.

I'd like to know at what temperature is the equivilant of the red zone. What temperature is too high, and what temperature would trip the red coolant light off ?

Thanks in advance!
Ryano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
122c is the scary zone.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I've never seen mine above 96. I have a ScanGauge and the numbers are exactly as you show, so I'd drive to one side of the road if I see anything above 97c and wait for the engine to cool down itself then check.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Water temps should never go above 100C anyways. That's why the thermostat is designed to open before 100c.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
your danger zone of coolant is directly proportional to the boiling point of your coolant/water mix.

As long as the coolant is not boiling then it will be doing its job and taking away heat from the engine. You will not warp a cylinder head even if the temps are 130 Celsius as long as the coolant isn't boiling. The damage is done when the coolant boils and air pockets takes place of the coolant. The air pockets create hot spots which will lead to a warped head and/or damage head gasket.

It is true that a new engine is designed to be run at a certain operating temp but when taken to extreme heat such as in a desert, the temps will undoubtedly rise above that. Modern day engine can handle an increase in heat like that without ill effects as long as the coolant does not reach it's boiling point.

On an older car with a rad that has seen better days, the temps will be higher than a brand new rad on the same car in the same temps. That doesn't mean it is dangerous or will over heat.

On my '02 Echo with the original rad that is missing fins on about 50% of it, I have seen a max temp (using my ultra gauge) at 212F which is 100C exactly. No over heating light went on and the coolant didn't boil.

I was stuck in traffic on one of the hottest days of the summer. The fan tends to kick on at about 208F on my Echo.

On my Yaris the hottest temp I've seen is about 206-208F if I can properly recall, and that rad is still in great shape. (I blew them both out at the start of the summer).

There is no doubt my Yaris stays a few degrees cooler than the Echo in extreme heat situations.

I run a 55/45 coolant/water mix on both cars (self mixed). This is a great balance of heat capacity and freezing point for where I live. The freezing point is approx -45C and the boiling point is approx 108C or 226F.

I'm not sure as to what temp the coolant overheat light kicks on in a Yaris, I thought i remember reading it somewhere on this forums at around 220F but don't quote me on that
Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Good to know!! Thanks!

JFTR, I've noticed that the fan kicks at 96c