Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Hank Corbett

Drives: 2008 3Door HB White
Broken Antenna 2008 Hatchback

Help!! I had a freak accident this morning. I was backing my Yaris out of the garage and somehow my antenna got tangled in the emergency pull rope for the garage door. The rope pulled the antenna upward, where it got caught on the edge of the raised garage door, ripping the mast completely out of the antenna mount. I now have a damaged mount with just a red wire sticking out from the hole where the mast once was. The mast is still good but the threaded ball mount it screws to broke off. The mount on the car is damaged where the force of the pull flared it out. How do I remove the mount to replace it? If it is not an easy task, would it be possible to install one of those shark fin antennae and cover up the old one? Since the mount is damaged with just a wire sticking out of it, will I be able to connect the wire to the shark mount antenna? Thanks for all replies.

Hank
Hank Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Find the Repair and maitenance manual on here .
or you can email me at rayandlea@clear.net.nz
file that you require is 7.5mb , to big to upload to this cheap site .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Hank Corbett

Thanks but I was hoping someone had a quick fix. I do not really want to dismantle my car's interior just to get to the antenna mount hardware. I think that I will just order a shark fin antenna and cover the old mount with it and be done. If anyone does know of a more convenient way to remove the old mount, let me know. Thanks anyway; I do appreciate the response and for reference, I have downloaded the manual you linked to.

Hank
Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To replace it you have to drop the headliner in the back. You don't have to remove it completely, just drop it enough to get at the nut that holds the antenna base. You could go the shark fin route as well, and just connect the red wire to the input of the shark fin.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Hank Corbett

To CTScott:

Thanks for your reply. I will look at the headliner to see if I can drop it like you suggested. The manual states that you have to practically dismantle the interior to get to the antenna; that is why I considered the shark fin. Sorry I just saw your reply today. I really appreciate your help.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
rokmeamadeus

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Base) LB
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've run into a similar problem. Some idiot decided to rip the antenna off my 2008 hatch completely - there's no sign of the mast, and what I presume was the threaded plastic receptacle on the mount is a little warped round the edges with a red wire sticking out. I can post a picture later if that'll help.

I looked through the the forum as well as the repair manual (page AV147), but I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly came off vis-a-vis the assembly shown in the repair manual? Did he rip out a portion of the mount (that the mast would screw into, and which presumably had the red wire attached to the other side?) which is why the red wire is sticking out? I guess I can't picture how the red wire would connect to the mast if the mast screws into the mount.

Just like Hank, I'd like to keep taking apart the interior to a minimum and I don't mind getting another mast if there's a way to make the connection between that and the red wire (even if it means using JB weld at the interface).

I'd love to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks!
rokmeamadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokmeamadeus View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've run into a similar problem. Some idiot decided to rip the antenna off my 2008 hatch completely - there's no sign of the mast, and what I presume was the threaded plastic receptacle on the mount is a little warped round the edges with a red wire sticking out. I can post a picture later if that'll help.

I looked through the the forum as well as the repair manual (page AV147), but I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly came off vis-a-vis the assembly shown in the repair manual? Did he rip out a portion of the mount (that the mast would screw into, and which presumably had the red wire attached to the other side?) which is why the red wire is sticking out? I guess I can't picture how the red wire would connect to the mast if the mast screws into the mount.

Just like Hank, I'd like to keep taking apart the interior to a minimum and I don't mind getting another mast if there's a way to make the connection between that and the red wire (even if it means using JB weld at the interface).

I'd love to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks!
There was a brass insert that the mast screwed into. This piece was bonded to the plastic to keep the base waterproof. The red wire was soldered to the bottom of the brass insert. The base also has a circuit board in it with the antenna amplifier circuit. If that was damaged the antenna will not do much.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
rokmeamadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There was a brass insert that the mast screwed into. This piece was bonded to the plastic to keep the base waterproof. The red wire was soldered to the bottom of the brass insert. The base also has a circuit board in it with the antenna amplifier circuit. If that was damaged the antenna will not do much.
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking and hoping for. The FM radio seems to work fine, although I imagine if the amplifier was damaged I'll see drop-off once I head out of the city? Even so, that isn't a problem because I rarely listen to the radio. I just wanted to figure out the quickest way to patch the thing up so it's sealed and at least semi-functional.

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
rokmeamadeus

Does anyone know what thread the stock mast has at the bottom, the part which screws into the mount/amplifier? My measured major dia is .190", which makes it a 10-24 machine screw (even though my measured pitch was slightly off, but that just might be a little parallax measuring it with the calipers).

I wanted to double check because it seems a little odd to me that Toyota wouldn't use something like an M4 and M5. I bought an OEM replacement for the mast; planning on getting a brass insert, soldering the red wire, JB-welding the entire thing to the mount, and screwing the mast in.

Appreciate any help!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
rokmeamadeus

In case anyone is wondering - it's an M5x0.8 metric thread