Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
jlift

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Ogredude,

Thank you for the DIY! It gave me the confidence to do this for myself.

I got all the parts at Home Depot, and more of them than you listed due to the lower valve of the Husky filters not closing worth a crap, but I came in at just under $20.

1) Small Husky fuel filter: $12
2) 2 3/8" pipe fittings: $4
3) Drip sprinkler: $1.50
4) Sprinkler goof plugs: $2

Total: $19.50

The drip sprinkler was the cheapest way to get a few millimeters of the 150 PSI drip hose that would fit the nipple on the bottom of the filter, and a goof plug caps it off. Other than that my install was identical to yours.
I just did this mod myself. What you say sounds interesting, but I have no clue what the drip hose and goof caps are. Are you able to kindly post a pic. or two? Thanks.!
jlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #20
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
jlift,

I didn't think to take any pictures while I did this as I was experimenting as I went, and it's not worth ripping everything back out for it. It's not as complicated as it sounds, though.

It's just that the little Husky filter I found at Home Depot has a little nipple at the bottom that looks like it's intended to be the place where fuel exits from the filter. It has a built-in petcock in the form of a flip valve but of the 3 filters I checked at the store none of those petcock valved worked worth a crap.

To counter the chance of any captured oil draining out of that nipple I used like 10mm of tubing from a drip sprinkler spike (it's just a semi-rigid plastic tube about 4mm in diameter) which attaches to the nipple on one end and hosts what's called a "goof plug" on the other end. A goof plug is just a little roundish piece of plastic that is used to cap lines like this, or to plug a hole in a large drip feeder that you didn't intend to make.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #21
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Due to being a hypermiler my driving style is much lighter than most folks, but I have still managed to capture about 3ml of fluids in 500 miles.

That's a small amount of fluid, to be sure, but only about half of it is combustible. This means that even if it doesn't end up as gunk on the throttle body or exhaust valve it still becomes raw emissions. While 1.5ml of non-combustibles per 500 miles doesn't seem like much, I'll be looking at 60ml per year over 20,000 miles.

That's 2 ounces of crap that I won't be spouting out over Mount Rose and Lake Tahoe each year. That can only be a good thing.

Share the Road

Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #22
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Since the manufacturer isn't too concerned, it will probably not be a problem for 99.9% of car owners.....just a matter of how concerned a person is. (Could be more to it but think this is the main idea.)
In other words, some people just like to modify things

This save a little pollution. But so does many other things that nobody will think about or sacrifice. Any one in here giving up beans because they add to green house gasses? This is about the same amount of annual savings. Recycle ONE extra aluminum can and forget about this. More benefits
jdium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
well the real question is now that you have captured it, what are you going to do with it? burn it? hah
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #24
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
well the real question is now that you have captured it, what are you going to do with it?hah
I add it into the oil recycling container that I maintain for doing my own crankcase, transmission and differential oil changes, which then gets turned in to my local Kragen (auto parts store), who runs a recycling program.

Share the Road

Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #25
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Okay, can someone clear this up for me? Ogre calls it an air cleaner for a compressor, BailOut calls it a fuel filter, but it's obviously the same item, and I can't find the stupid thing anywhere because I don't know what isle I should be looking on!

I need this for my motorcycle. I have a rigged version right now, but it consists of a T'd off hose with the lower branch being capped off (to be drained at intervals) and the upper branch ending in an air filter. It catches some of the stuff, but some of it is in gaseous form and condenses in the filter, which results in drippings! This looks like it'll do the trick.

Thanks!

~YR
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

YR,

The one I got is labeled "Husky Compressor Fuel Filter" and I found it at Home Depot at the end of the aisle that contains compressor parts and accessories. It's not the same one that Ogredude used, hence my rigging of a nipple block. I tried to find the same one that Ogredude pictured but they only carry one kind of this item.

I suppose it really doesn't matter what label the thing has on it as they all do the same thing... use gravity to capture fluid as it passes via an overhead tube.

If your Home Depot is set up like mine it's two aisles to the right of the hand tools.

Share the Road

Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #27
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Bail, thanks for the info. I finally tracked down the air line thingie that Ogre used at Home Depot. I looked for the fuel filter you got to compare the two, but my HD didn't have it in stock.

Can't wait to rig this up on my bike! Thanks again!

~YR
Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #28
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i also bought it but there were no 3/8 filter.. they dont sell it here .. so i took the 1/4 .. will it work the same or its too small? and im not sure what side to put it on.. IN in the back and OUT in the front?
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #29
Ogredude

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
i also bought it but there were no 3/8 filter.. they dont sell it here .. so i took the 1/4 .. will it work the same or its too small? and im not sure what side to put it on.. IN in the back and OUT in the front?
Ya sounds right, just hold your thumb over the hose when the car is running to see what side is sucking if your not sure.
this is the type of filter im talking about
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100027474

The 2 female to male nipples i used were 3/8" for a snug fit with the yaris hoses, so see if they fit in that 1/4" one before you buy it
Ogredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #30
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
thats exactly what i bought so thanks for the info :)
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #31
IanCFitz
Hells Yeah!

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via AIM to IanCFitz
I just picked up one of those tonight, hopefully I'll get a few minutes tomorrow to get it installed.

I had the intake plenum off my Chrysler Sebring several times replacing plugs and wires, and after seeing how gunked up it was, I want to keep as much stuff out of the Yaris' intake as I can.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #32
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Barnacles! I did this. My only thing to add to it is this:

You may have to cut your engine cover to make it all fit when you're done. I cut mine nicely and you can't even tell I was messing around. Someone else had done this as well, and got their own custom line.

Do not get regualr air line as it will collapse! You need to buy an oil/gas line if you want to make and re-route your own.

P.S. Awesome mod, a little under 500 miles and I've already collected some oil. Agreat DIy that you can instantly see the result of!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #33
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I agree with Sodium Duck completly,I just got a coupon from Toyota for $99.00,they will clean the Intake system ( what that means,who knows?),they clean the injectors (they actually state in small print "Injector cleaner added to fuel),I can do that myself for $5-7,and they clean the throttle body,which this DIY prevents all together.So what Im saying is for about $45.00 and some time,you could save that $99.00 Toyota cleaning BS for the life of the car.Enjoy.

Last edited by eco; 10-19-2008 at 11:35 PM.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #34
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
LoL, 100 bucks.

My total cost for this DIY was actually $18.xx, bassically 20 bucks!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #35
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Yep,no BS,I might just scan and post it up,its ridiculious.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #36
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Oh, not another one "i also inveted a wheel"... in the line with those $5 inline gas savers.

The oil vapor is circulating in the PCV "positive crankcase ventilation" system. Now you are just collecting it for some reason. Why not start condensing moisture out of all air inside and outside the car and then praise the device for the "unwanted" water it "trapped"...
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote