Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #19
monkeydave

Drives: 2016 yaris icon
i get a whistle from the left rear wheel at 40mph and above, i have swapped the tyres round and had the rear door opened to check for wind noise and it has been back to the dealers once and they cleaned the rear drum brakes and it quietened it down for a day they also said it was done as a courtesy and not covered under warranty

good way of selling me another car and getting the service done with them i dont think

i spoke to toyota head office and they had a word with the dealer and im going in on monday for another test drive and another look into the problems

the brakes work normal and the noise is on and off exactly on 40mph which makes me think wheel bearing as it is only on one side and the brake clean might have lubricated the bearing and quietened it for a while, the only thing that is against it being the wheel bearing is the noise is a whistle and not a hum normal wheel bearing noise

my rear brakes are drum brakes too which might make a difference

its getting on my nerves as its a new car (6 months old now with 2600 miles) and the rest of the car is great but if they mess me about i will be going back to honda

Last edited by monkeydave; 04-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
monkeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #20
X-WingYaris

Drives: Toyota
Finally got the car to the dealership.
In the rear: bad wheel bearing
Also in the front: bad front passenger strut.

Covered under warranty. No cost to me.

So glad for that.

However I am concerned a wheel bearing went out this early in the vehicles life. Is this cause for concern? Should I expect it to go out on the other side as well or something?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
X-WingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #21
Motzking1

Drives: 47 2013 yaris l hatchbacks
I have oversized tires, big wheels, smacked a few curbs, replaced a few wheels, 300lbs worth of box and subs that take up the trunk and got 100k on mine. No bearing problems. Not for lack of abuse. At my work we run a fleet of yaris's 2013 to 2015. We have done a few. But only ones caused by smacking curbs good. I would expect they last a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Motzking1 is offline   Reply With Quote