Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
GPS

What GPS units does everyone have?

My commute to work is such an issue at times. By the time I get back to my car, it's too late for me to catch the traffic reports from the local radio stations. My iPhone works well at times, but while I'm driving, I can't be opening the map app to check on traffic (which isn't that accurate anyway).

I've been doing some researching. I'm bouncing between a TomTom Go 740 LIVE, TomTom Go 630, Garmin Nuvi 1350T, Garmin Nuvi 265wt. My concerns are the cost of the initial product, the monthly service (TomTom subscriptions for the traffic updates), and how the unit will be charged. It's very difficult to really know how I can set the GPS up in my car when I can't see the different ports on the product, how it's charged, and in the case of the Go 630 and the nuvi 265wt, where to plug in the optional/additional traffic receiver.

As far as I can remember, the 09 3dr LB only has 1 power outlet. I know I can always get a splitter for it, but I would be concerned about shorting it out (I've done that before).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
search button will help a bunch
If you're referring to the search button on the forum, tried that route to no avail. Perhaps I'm mis-reading the thread topics, or GPS's were talked about in threads that are not labeled as such. That was my first thought to try prior to posting.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 265WT from Best Buy online. It's pretty neat and the traffic area coverage is larger than advertised (free too!)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218071904846

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218088720058

I also considered the 285WT but wasn't interested in paying Microsoft a monthly fee.

The traffic receiver is part (a small module) of the power cord on the 265WT. That's why it says you have to plug it in to receive traffic alerts.

Ditto on the one 12v outlet... I'm about to install at least one more.

If you have any questions about the 265... ask away! I also have 2 other 205W's and the 265 is way sweeter... Highly recommended!!!!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I have a new Garmin nuvi 255WT. I have the older Garmin StreetPilot 7200. 2 Yarises, 2 Garmin. The larger screen is easier to read the fine detail. Plus the new top end Garmin gives detail lane instruction not available on the smaller or older Garmin units. The $1,000 7 inch Garmin StreetPilot was a Internet order item.

I got the 4.3 inch Garmin nuvi 255WT at Best Buy. Traffic info came with the Garmin nuvi 255WT. FM traffic antenna built in. Unit came with life time FM traffic updates. Plus auto routing around heavy traffic areas a option. Accident warning with reroute around accident built in.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

The 265WT also has a neat little gadget where the input your city and highway gas mileage and what you pay for gas, and it tells you how much it's costing you to drive...
Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
borrowing one from my mom this weekend... Will be an investment in my near future for sure.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
sıɹɐʎ
Economist

Drives: 2007 Yaris Lifback
Since you are looking for a GPS with traffic service, I suggest you avoid MSN Direct devices (some Garmin and Pioneer units). Microsoft announced today that they will be pulling the plug on MSN direct after 2011, which will mean no more traffic service on those devices. (I'd say odds are good that the remaining inventory will go on sale soon.) GPS units with traffic use FM band (MSN or NAVTEQ) or satellite (XM NavTraffic); you should be fine with NAVTEQ (often called RDS-TMC or just "FM traffic") or the XM traffic units.

I have an in-dash Pioneer (AVIC-U310BT), which I love, but I was very fond of my bargain stand-alone TomTom ONE 130 I had before it. On the more advanced models, the IQ Route seems like a useful feature, particularly if you want a GPS to shorten your trips.

Last edited by sıɹɐʎ; 10-29-2009 at 01:45 AM.
sıɹɐʎ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Microsoft announced yesterday that it is discontinuing all MSN Direct services in 2012. If you want a GPS unit w/ similar services, I'd go w/ one of the new Garmins that have NuInfo service or one of TomTom's new GO LIVE devices.

Here's my setup:
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sıɹɐʎ View Post
Since you are looking for a GPS with traffic service, I suggest you avoid MSN Direct devices (some Garmin and Pioneer units). Microsoft announced today that they will be pulling the plug on MSN direct after 2011, which will mean no more traffic service on those devices. (I'd say odds are good that the remaining inventory will go on sale soon.) GPS units with traffic use FM band (MSN or NAVTEQ) or satellite (XM NavTraffic); you should be fine with NAVTEQ (often called RDS-TMC or just "FM traffic") or the XM traffic units.

That's why I chose the 265WT. NAVTEQ and it's free.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Garmin > Tomtom

tomtom screens look like they are drawn with crayola, though
the menus and settings are easier to get to on a tomtom than Garmin.

but 99% of the time GPS just sits there drawing maps, Garmin wins.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
sıɹɐʎ
Economist

Drives: 2007 Yaris Lifback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
That's why I chose the 265WT. NAVTEQ and it's free.
Free lifetime traffic? Now that's a good deal.
sıɹɐʎ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
The new Garmin models ending in "T" have free lifetime *Ad supported* traffic. Lifetime also means for the life of the unit.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:

Yep...all I have is a little ad banner one in a while and I usually don't even notice it... works pretty good too. I used it trying to get out of the stadium after the last Jacksonville Jaguars home game and it did a decent job of routing me around traffic.