Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
flathead6

Drives: 2008 yaris
engine swap complete..thanks to all

I recently bought a 2008 yaris 3 door hatch( 130,000 miles) from a buddy for $600.00. He had a cracked radiator and over heated it. I brought it home and did a compression test. Basically no compression on 3 cylinders. I bought a used (68,000 miles) engine of ebay for 600.00. I didn't have a manual but with the info from this forum decided to swap the engine. I did it by my self with no issues. It did take about 40 hours start to finish. I pulled the engine and tranny together (5 speed). I was able to just detach the ac compressor and move it out of the way without having to evacuate the coolant. Electrical connectors all came apart easily and was able to fold the wiring harness up to the fire wall. The new engine runs well and no issues. Turned out to be a fairly easy job. I was really surprised at the power of the little 1.5 engine and what a ball the car is to drive. I filled it with fuel and drove it 90 miles today....The gas gauge still shows full. I think i'm going to really enjoy this little car. It is polar white and is a base model...even roll-up windows. it has no rust but several cosmetic issues. and places where bare metal is exposed. I plan to repaint it and maybe give it a pair of black racing stripes from hood to tail. Thanks to all who have post information as I read a bunch before starting the swap. FYI there are several good youtube videos that cover axle removal and other related topics for anyone else that is interested in performing and engine change.

Thanks
flathead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #2
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Glad to hear it went smoothly mate.

I did the clutch in my Yaris 2 years ago. My car is pretty rusty but i was surprised how well it went. I have given some thought to putting a used engine in mine if it threw a rod or the oil consumption doubled from what it is now.

Mine has the 3 cylinder and looking at it i think i would leave the gear box and axles in and pull it out the top with the engine crane.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Congrats! Excellent job! You'll have many years of reliable driving with the freshly installed, low mileage engine. And, you saved yourself a boat load of cash, to boot.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
flathead6

Drives: 2008 yaris
axle removaL

Axle removal is really very easy. Its really just 2 bolts disconnecting the brake caliper and 2 bolts disconnecting the stuts ….and the big nut (1-3/16 I think) on the end of the axle. Now that I have done it once, I think I could remove both axles in less than an hour. Without removing them I can't see how you could pull it out the top.

I ended up using the clutch and pressure plate out of the 130,000 mile engine as it was in much better condition than the lower milage engine. I assume that the driver on the replacement engine was rougher on the clutch or it was used in a stop and go environment. If I had to do it over I probably would have just purchase a new clutch/pressure plate assembly.
flathead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Nice! Way to go