Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
BlueCar1967

Drives: yaris
How often to wax and brand recommendation?

I recently bought a very nice 2013 silver Yaris and I'm wondering how often I should wax it and what type should I use? My last car was an old SUV that I drove for 10 years and given it was what I referred to as my "barn car"..that I used to haul my horse stuff around in, I didn't worry too much about how shiny it was. I wanna do this one right.
BlueCar1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Choose a wax brand. I used to do it twice a year. Once after the winter and once before the winter.

Note the sun also kills paint finish and plastic/rubber. It is a good idea to rotate your car once in a while if the sun is always on one side of the car.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Just some factors to consider:

- Where is it kept at night? (outside? under a tree (no!)? Carport? Garage?)
- During the day? (parking structure? outside?)
- How often will you wash it?
- HOW will you wash it (some of the self-serve or drive-thru washes use strong soaps that may wash off your wax)

My go-to choice for wax is currently Meguiar's M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. It comes in liquid or paste form. I've only used the paste version. It goes on easy, and wipes off easy (follow the instructions carefully!).

I've heard great things of Collinite 845, and have a bottle, but haven't tried it. I've also tried stuff from Chemical Guys (The butter wet one doesn't last worth a damn), Poorboys world (i'm liking these products). I forget some of the others.

But yes. The M26 I applied to a car back in Sept/Oct is still holding up. I maintained it (washed it) for about 1.5 months, then I let the owner take over. I used the 2 Bucket Wash Method with Grit Guard.

Before applying the wax though, I'd suggest giving it a damn good wash, then going over it with a clay bar, then another wash. Overkill? To some, yes.

And in case you're wondering what MY car looks like....(well, when I have time to clean it)...it's like this:

Link to short clip
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I'm not a detailing expert by any means ( I struggle to find the time just to wash the car a few times a year), but I would ask: what level are you looking to keep your car at?
If you are willing to claybar, my favourite is Zaino. Once claybarred and "waxed" it's super reflective, and is sooooo smooth to run your hand along. Can go 6mo before re-applying in most cases.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote