Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #37
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar_Maverick View Post

On an unrelated note, when I took the console out, I saw these unused wires. This car does not have a lot of options, so I was just wondering what these would have been for. Power lock/windows?? see below:
Looks like it's for the power locks. My Yaris came with power locks and the master switch is right next to the hand brake and shifter.

I just did my oxygen sensor and although it seemed impossible to reach from the top at first, it was MUCH easier getting at it from the front rather than crawling under the car. The only reason I got under the Yaris was to spray the PB blaster on it since I couldn't see what I was spraying when hovering above it.

Using a 3/8" drive ratchet and a oxygen sensor socket, I wasn't able to get leverage either above the car or below it so I had to attach a "cheater pipe" on the handle. It's basically a metal pipe from an old bedframe that I place over the ratchet and was able to get superb leverage without kicking or hammering the ratchet. I could probably use this cheater pipe without the PB blaster prep and still do okay.

Anywho, does anyone know if it's absolutely necessary to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery or will the car relearn the readings from the new oxygen sensor? I will continue without resetting the ECU to see when my MPG will finally improve.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #38
Cigar_Maverick

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
Anywho, does anyone know if it's absolutely necessary to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery or will the car relearn the readings from the new oxygen sensor? I will continue without resetting the ECU to see when my MPG will finally improve.
Honestly, I'm trying to remember if I unhooked the battery or, more likely, went to the local parts store and had them clear the errors. Almost certain I just had the codes cleared. No errors since.
Cigar_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #39
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar_Maverick View Post
Honestly, I'm trying to remember if I unhooked the battery or, more likely, went to the local parts store and had them clear the errors. Almost certain I just had the codes cleared. No errors since.
Did mpg improve right away?
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #40
Cigar_Maverick

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
Did mpg improve right away?
Unfortunately, that is hard to say... The weekend I put the new one in, I also switched to Mobil 1 synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy, put a new air filter in and new plugs. I had just bought the car and didn't know the maintenance history. The total gained me 2.5 MPG. Going from 37.5 to 40. I am led to believe that, in my situation, the new sensor has minimal effect. That having been said, as they say, your results may vary. In hindsight I might have done a more controlled experiment, but I just hammered it all out at once. Maybe somebody else can chime in who has more experience with just installing the new sensor.
Cigar_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #41
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Any gas mileage improvement found after replacing one or both sensors???

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #42
07liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Any gas mileage improvement found after replacing one or both sensors???
Mileage improvement should only increase if replacing the oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter. The second oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter only tells the computer that the catalytic converter is still functioning but will not adjust air or fuel mixture.

That's why the first oxygen sensor is often referred to as the air fuel ratio sensor.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #43
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Hey all..

I decided to check out my Air/Fuel sensor and based on the service manual inspection page(EC-18) From terminals 1>>2 it should read approx. 1.8 to 3.4ohms, mine read 2.8 ohms, but when I check terminals 1>>4 it should read approx. 10K or > ohms, but I read open.. No reading.. I am not throwing any engine code, so its seems odd to me..

Does anyone have a spare sensor they are also measure and see what you get on the 1>>4 terminals?..

I get about 490KM on approx. 38 liters of gas.. I drive pretty hard , and that's about 7.7L per 100KM.. which seems OK...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks guys!
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #44
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Hey all..

I decided to check out my Air/Fuel sensor and based on the service manual inspection page(EC-18) From terminals 1>>2 it should read approx. 1.8 to 3.4ohms, mine read 2.8 ohms, but when I check terminals 1>>4 it should read approx. 10K or > ohms, but I read open.. No reading.. I am not throwing any engine code, so its seems odd to me..

Does anyone have a spare sensor they can also measure and see what you get on the 1>>4 terminals?..

I get about 490KM on approx. 38 liters of gas.. I drive pretty hard , and that's about 7.7L per 100KM.. which seems OK...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks guys!
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #45
zerosl

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Hatchback
Darn, I got the p0031 error code as well after I replaced my donut gasket.

Did anyone confirm which sensor as corresponded to this code?
zerosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #46
Teddy Thornell
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
I have a 2012 Toyota Yaris 5-door and could not for the life of me find the location of the downstream O2 (Bank 1/Sensor 2) wire harness. Remove the center console and pull back the tab of carpeting in the front. The "plug" is located right there (see pic). The harness comes exits the body of the car on the side of the metal that the plug part is mounted on. Hope this saves someone time....

Teddy Thornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #47
EricC
I've made a post!

Drives: '12 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Thornell View Post
I have a 2012 Toyota Yaris 5-door and could not for the life of me find the location of the downstream O2 (Bank 1/Sensor 2) wire harness. Remove the center console and pull back the tab of carpeting in the front. The "plug" is located right there (see pic). The harness comes exits the body of the car on the side of the metal that the plug part is mounted on. Hope this saves someone time....

Hey! I'm about to embark on replacing this sensor in my 2012 Yaris. Your photo didn't post, can you try it again?
EricC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #48
skuff33

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Anyone ?
Sorry to resurrect this thread but in the event it helps somebody I also got open readings on pins 1 and 4 for both sensors, new out if the box from denso.
skuff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #49
2007yarishatch

Drives: 2007 yaris hatch back
I think I'll remove mine, clean it with a wire brush, and reinsert it
2007yarishatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #50
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Just sharing my experience - recently I received error P0420 which indicates deteriorated catalytic converter. The light came back a few days after I erased the code. 2007 car with 172tkm (107t miles). I decided to change the O2 sensors as I learnt that they should be preventively changed in 160 tkm due to their laziness they build over time.

After the change the error is gone and the car is considerably more agile. Both Denso direct fit sensors together cost some 130 USD here. The upper one went out quickly while the one down the cat was a bit harder. Still - I used the WD40, a special nut, ratchet and a piece of pipe and it went off, even from a cold exhaust pipe. I was getting ready for some serious battle (even bought a torch for this) but in the end it was not necessary. Yay!

Btw I do not think that cleaning it with a wire brush is a good idea. The sensor is inside a metal cap, you can never reach it with the brush. And even if you do - you will destroy it.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote