Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
TRD Springs Vs Tanabe DF210...The Title Bout

There's alot of threads that have SOME info on these springs, I feel more so there is information out there on the DF210's then for the TRD springs. I'd like this thread to have user reviews of each spring AND hard, solid information on them. That way when people search for a definitive thread to choose between the two, because I feel these two springs are choices alot of people decide upon but have a hard time choosing, they will have a one stop shop to help them. It also seems alot of people shy away from the TRD springs and go Tanabe DF210, any particular reason aside from being a 1/2" lower?

Please share your reviews, owner feedback, why you choose what you did and are you happy with your decision. Even add in pictures such as ground level photos so that people can get a good idea of what they are getting into, pictures of the wheel gaps, etc.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
I'm a noob on suspension and springs, but I would thing trd vs nf210 would be a better battle.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
If rubbing weren't a problem, I think df210's would be had by over 90% of posters that currently own lowering springs.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i originally intended to buy the TRD springs. mainly because i was worried about how much of a drop the DF210's were gonna give. but after talking with cali yaris from micro-image i eventually settled on buying the tanabe springs and i am really glad i did. personally i wish the drop was even a little lower. but i'm still waiting for them to settle a little so it might end up being just perfect. they are also quite a bit cheaper like chinocharles said.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
DF210's acquire their low stance by lowering their spring rate. awful if you actually DRIVE your car.

how about progress?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
DF210's are +15% spring rate, actually. At least get the facts straight.

I did several track days on the DF210's - not bad at all.

progress:
DROP: 1.7" front, 1.8" rear
RATE: 110 lbs. front, 130 lbs. rear

And I have new spring from China to try out 1.5" drop and 4k front / 3.1k rear -- could be good.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
DF210's acquire their low stance by lowering their spring rate. awful if you actually DRIVE your car.

how about progress?
mines a daily driver and i don't think it's all that bad. rougher than it was, no doubt, but not unbearable or anything.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

also H & R which don't publish their rate, but in general I like their products - anyone tried them?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
detroiter

lets hear the pros and cons of each spring, good and bad experiences as well
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
i originally intended to buy the TRD springs. mainly because i was worried about how much of a drop the DF210's were gonna give. but after talking with cali yaris from micro-image i eventually settled on buying the tanabe springs and i am really glad i did. personally i wish the drop was even a little lower. but i'm still waiting for them to settle a little so it might end up being just perfect. they are also quite a bit cheaper like chinocharles said.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
DF210's are +15% spring rate, actually. At least get the facts straight.

I did several track days on the DF210's - not bad at all.

progress:
DROP: 1.7" front, 1.8" rear
RATE: 110 lbs. front, 130 lbs. rear

And I have new spring from China to try out 1.5" drop and 4k front / 3.1k rear -- could be good.
sorry, i should have specified, i did not mean that the rates are lower than stock, i mean that they're lower than they should be, considering the amount of drop they offer.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
detroiter

Aside from the cost, is the TRD springs not as "race" competitive as the DF springs? Obviously a product with the name Toyota on it is going to be more expensive then other brands but aside from the extra cost, there has to be some advantage of the TRD's as compared to the Tanabes.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
there has to be some advantage of the TRD's as compared to the Tanabes.
Why?

I suppose there is because of the milder drop and some rubbing issues with wheel and tire combinations. In terms of ride and responsiveness, there is no advantage to the TRD springs.

Last edited by cali yaris; 04-30-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
i did not mean that the rates are lower than stock, i mean that they're lower than they should be, considering the amount of drop they offer.
ah got it, I would tend to agree with that, but I also prefer a stiffer ride over stock. Tanabe designed the springs that way because 15% offsets the amount they lower the car (the NF210's, with a milder drop are 5% over stock). So you get a lowered car with about the same ride quality. In my experience, the ride is actually just a little bit stiffer than stock.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I like how my DFs ride, and the lower center of gravity makes it handle much better then stock. A major issue, however, is speed bumps on the DFs. With just myself and another in the car, I have to creep over speed bumps. I think my next upgrade will either be higher or adjustable.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I love my DF210's. Really glad I got them. They ride nice, handle better than stock, drop looks awesome.

I see that alot of people who buy TRD springs get rid of them for DF210's later on for a lower drop.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I have trd struts, shocks, springs and sway bar. I love the drop and the ride quality. The 2nd pic is before the drop and the ground effects.
looks nice, what size are your wheels and tires?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
detroiter

Another question to help clear some things up is if someone is running stock rim and tire size, why would they rub with the DF springs? I'd imagine that Tanabe wouldn't build a spring they know would purposely rub on a stock setup for the car, even with a full car load of luggage or people. And even if so, I'd imagine as well if the springs were paired up with a nice set of performance based shocks/struts, there would not be a problem at all.