Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Yaris_Mac

Drives: Gas saver
My ride + another bump stop question

I've had this car for a year now and I just recently put money on it. Here are the following mods:

Tein S Tech
14x6 Miata Wheels (10.5 lbs/+45 offset)
185/60/14 Bridgestones
H&R DRS widetrack 20mm Front (25mm offset)
H&R DRS widetrack 20mm Rear + 6mm spacers from O'reily total 26mm (19mm offset)

The car rides very close to stock except when I hit bumps while doing 55+ mph. I cut the front bump stops but not the rear since it was not mentioned in the DIY section... Is there bump stops that needs to be cut in the rear shock? The rear is pretty harsh... Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by Yaris_Mac; 07-11-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Yaris_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Yaris_Mac

My ride + another bump stop question

25mm front offset/19mm rear offset:

20+6mm rear spacers

20mm rear spacer

Last edited by Yaris_Mac; 07-11-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
I wouldn't mess with the rear bumpstops at your ride height. Do you have aftermarket shocks? I don't run bumpstops at all, but my air bags have them built in.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
You always remove the equivalent to your drop on all bump stops. If it's dropped by 1.5" for example, cut off 1.5", it's a must do.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
Yaris_Mac

The question is if there's a bump stop in the rear shocks. It sounds like there is. l'll go ahead and cut that.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris_Mac View Post
The question is if there's a bump stop in the rear shocks. It sounds like there is. l'll go ahead and cut that.
Yes their are some in the rear shock assemblies

Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
You always remove the equivalent to your drop on all bump stops. If it's dropped by 1.5" for example, cut off 1.5", it's a must do.
Nonsence! TRD makes no mention of bump stop butchering in their installation instructions. Why jeopardize a strut by removing it's safety cushion. I actually switched mine out for FatCat bump stops but honestly cannot ever recall my suspension bottoming onto them. If it has they work well because it wasn't noticeable from the drivers seat.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
This^

I recently installed MI lowering springs an after reading countless threads on YW and other forums I decided to leave the rears and I cut the fronts by about 1/2 an inch.

W/ out the bumps your hitting metal on metal instead oof , progressive rubber dampener. For example, the sport mini actually rides on it's bumps an uses it as part of its suspension.

I plan on running sport struts/shocks down the road hence the main reason I left my bumps as is. I've hit bumps at 120km/h and have yet to hit hard. It's possible I've hit the bumps but because I left them intact they absorb the shock and it never feels harsh.

Keep in mind the S tech's are lower then the MI' from what I've read. But i've also had quite a bit of weight in my car and still no issues.

Your jarring , likely you're bottoming out the strut and hitting metal on metal. I'd bet you wouldn't feel that with your bumps at stock length.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I just lowered mine with Tein S Tech's and the paperwork was clear about cutting the bump stops 1.4 inches. We did it in the front, nothing to cut in the back from what we saw.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Nonsence! TRD makes no mention of bump stop butchering in their installation instructions. Why jeopardize a strut by removing it's safety cushion. I actually switched mine out for FatCat bump stops but honestly cannot ever recall my suspension bottoming onto them. If it has they work well because it wasn't noticeable from the drivers seat.
Did I write to remove them? NO From experience with many different cars, if you keep stock shocks/struts with bump stops and you lower then you cut the same amount on the bump stop that you lowered it. No they don't mention in the instructions but don't be surprised by the harsh ride on the rear. It's common sense.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Quote:
Did I write to remove them? NO From experience with many different cars, if you keep stock shocks/struts with bump stops and you lower then you cut the same amount on the bump stop that you lowered it. No they don't mention in the instructions but don't be surprised by the harsh ride on the rear. It's common sense.
You do realize the rear bumpstops are barely 2" right? Most lowering springs drop the car roughly that amount, not to mention the drop from coilovers or bags. So essentially you are saying to remove the bumpstop. When my car was static I had the bumpstops untrimmed in the rear, and my car was lowered 4", never had any issues with bottoming out.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
You do realize the rear bumpstops are barely 2" right? Most lowering springs drop the car roughly that amount, not to mention the drop from coilovers or bags. So essentially you are saying to remove the bumpstop. When my car was static I had the bumpstops untrimmed in the rear, and my car was lowered 4", never had any issues with bottoming out.
Yes I do realize it and where just having a discussion sharing info. Most lowering springs are approx. -1.5" in general. I did Tanabe lowering springs on my 2009 hatchback and the bump stops both front and yes rear which mine where closer to 3"+. If you keep the stock bump stops and lower with springs then your stroke will be shorter by the same amount you lower it!!! The best in the end is to replace the shocks with proper length/stroke to match the springs.

I did just springs because I kept the car for street use and and with the new laws on lowering cars up here it's a pain when you get pulled over. Next year if all goes well it will be used for track so gonna go coil over.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
No harsh ride with my TRD set-up and full bump-stops. Perhaps when folks mix and match various manufactures dampers, shocks, etc or lower the car and stay with stock, underachieving dampers. With the TRD package no such issues arise.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Rigaud

TRD package as in lowering springs and shocks?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
Rigaud

I got a great ride for a lowered econo box. But of course it's no comparison to my Audi Avant.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
No harsh ride with my TRD set-up and full bump-stops. Perhaps when folks mix and match various manufactures dampers, shocks, etc or lower the car and stay with stock, underachieving dampers. With the TRD package no such issues arise.
TRD is only a .5 inch drop front and 1.5 rear no need really to cut bump stops with Tein u definitely need to cut them down cos the drop is at almost 2 inch front and rear and its what i ride on plus KYB struts
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
TRD is only a .5 inch drop front and 1.5 rear no need really to cut bump stops with Tein u definitely need to cut them down cos the drop is at almost 2 inch front and rear and its what i ride on plus KYB struts
Actually the TRD springs are said to provide a 1.25 inch drop both front and rear. However, as mine are now several years old and over 100,000 kilometers young the drop is at least 2 inches. Still no bottoming.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #18
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Actually the TRD springs are said to provide a 1.25 inch drop both front and rear. However, as mine are now several years old and over 100,000 kilometers young the drop is at least 2 inches. Still no bottoming.
Don't know where u get ur numbers but when I go on the TRD Web pg at Toyota dealership it's only. 5 front drop and no requirement to cut bump stops as per Toyota install, it's always wise to cut bump stops by the amount u drop/lower ur car.
Sent from Sony z3
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote