Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
MemphisLaVa

Drives: '08 Barcelona Red Sedan
Just discovered today that I have this same issue with the clear coat on the entire top of my rear passenger side door handle. Not sure why it's localized to only one handle? Unfortunately my car's always out in the sun in the same spot so not much I can do about it.
MemphisLaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
For what it's worth my brother is a body man and he told me modern cars paint and clears are very thin. If you park in the sun and care about the paint it's a really good idea to buy a car cover. It's a PITA to put on and take off every time you want to drive but it will save the paint. Just a thought.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
Is the Hi-Tech Yellow wax easy to apply and remove by hand or do I need dual action polisher?
It sure is. I don't use a DA polisher for waxing. Only for buffing/polishing. All my waxing is done by hand. Just a personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
I waxed the car using Meguiar's Gold Class carnauba liquid wax. My local auto parts store didn't have Hi-Tech yellow wax...
I'm thinking you should be okay with Gold Class. The important thing is having some sort of protection on there. Keep in mind, though, this is like a band-aid. It wont completely stop any clear coat from peeling. In my experience, it just helps from slowing down the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
For what it's worth my brother is a body man and he told me modern cars paint and clears are very thin.
I work on the 7th floor, in a glass building. I'm constantly looking down on cars when I'm taking a break. The sheer number of cars with clear coat failure on the roof line is scary. It's VERY common now.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote