Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
thepaidtraveler

Drives: Blazing Blue 3 Door
Instrument Cluster Swap

My lowly Yaris 3 door does NOT have the factory cluster with the Tach included.

Has anyone anywhere ever done a swap from a basic cluster to the one with the factory tach?

I'd like to know if or how this is done and how to keep the mileage correct as well.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
thepaidtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
anubisx99
here again..

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris LB
well...there has been quite a few thread about this... First of the factory cluster is very dificult to find right now...once in a while Ebay has the but they are gone before you know it and besides most of them are for the Canadian HB such is in KL not ML, also the plug for the harness is diferent from what I heard, now, you can try to get the cluster at TOYOTA but it'll cost you a wooping US$600.00+ (I checked :p), about the milage there has been a few discution on that the actual reading is stored in the actual car ECU and not the cluster...if that's the case then it should update the new cluster as soon as you plug it an turn the car on...now the Toyota tech that I spoke to could not confirm it and since the cluster like I said before, no one has been able to get the original US version this is rumors and opinions, hope this helps and if you get to try it...please post it!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
This should have come standard in all yaris in th US
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I noticed the other day when a 09 yaris 3 doors (non S) passed by... the cluster comes in amber lighting...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I noticed the other day when a 09 yaris 3 doors (non S) passed by... the cluster comes in amber lighting...
That is what mine has....amber.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Yup, my '09LB has that amber optitron cluster. I miss the white backlit cluster on my '07LB.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisx99 View Post
well...there has been quite a few thread about this... First of the factory cluster is very dificult to find right now...once in a while Ebay has the but they are gone before you know it and besides most of them are for the Canadian HB such is in KL not ML, also the plug for the harness is diferent from what I heard, now, you can try to get the cluster at TOYOTA but it'll cost you a wooping US$600.00+ (I checked :p), about the milage there has been a few discution on that the actual reading is stored in the actual car ECU and not the cluster...if that's the case then it should update the new cluster as soon as you plug it an turn the car on...now the Toyota tech that I spoke to could not confirm it and since the cluster like I said before, no one has been able to get the original US version this is rumors and opinions, hope this helps and if you get to try it...please post it!!!
All of this is true! EXCEPT CDM cluster is plug and play, YES it fits USDM and The mileage is stored in the cluster not the ECU
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
All of this is true! EXCEPT CDM cluster is plug and play, YES it fits USDM and The mileage is stored in the cluster not the ECU
How did you come by this info if I may ask? Got a link to another source? I want to do this but need to verify before $$$ spent.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
How did you come by this info if I may ask? Got a link to another source? I want to do this but need to verify before $$$ spent.
I got one...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
This should have come standard in all yaris in th US
+1
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
thepaidtraveler

Drives: Blazing Blue 3 Door
Thanks for all of the responses.

Now Since we've started to establish that the mileage is stored in the cluster how would one spin the odometer to read someones current mileage?

Years ago all one had to do was get a drill and spin the odometer. I'm thinking though that it may be a different approach though.

Also wouldn't it be a simple swap from the Amber lights to the White Lights in the cluster?
thepaidtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
Klink10

Quote:
I got one...
Is yours one from Canada that was offered on Ebay? I've seen those and was gonna do it, but after having read the yea it wills and no it wonts, I've held back. Also, is yours out of a sedan or HB....that too seems to be an issue?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaidtraveler View Post
Thanks for all of the responses.

Now Since we've started to establish that the mileage is stored in the cluster how would one spin the odometer to read someones current mileage?

Years ago all one had to do was get a drill and spin the odometer. I'm thinking though that it may be a different approach though.

Also wouldn't it be a simple swap from the Amber lights to the White Lights in the cluster?
since 10 or 10+ years ago, toyota stopped using cables in their clusters. so you cannot "spin" it :P

my approach.. You would have to have a special ecu, so you can send the 200kmh signal to the cluster and wait... till it goes over the 1million miles/km, and comes back to 0 and then wait more to go back to your mileage. my guess is if it is just a couple thousand over your current mileage, hehe you would have to wait helluva long time to get your mileage back :P

ok, maybe there is a way to PROGRAM that thing, but my doubt is very high on this even 1 (ONE) person said the dealer would do it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Is yours one from Canada that was offered on Ebay? I've seen those and was gonna do it, but after having read the yea it wills and no it wonts, I've held back. Also, is yours out of a sedan or HB....that too seems to be an issue?
Yes true, And to answer your question better I have both HB and SD and did the same with both I had them installed for about a month or 2 took them off and stored them until the warranty passes don't really want to have any trouble and it marks everything perfectly in KM compared it "SD MPH to HB KPH" and "HB MPH to SD KPH"
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
ragnacat, where did u get those clusters? any links?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
ragnacat, where did u get those clusters? any links?
Not easy it was like a part-time Job on Ebay and a little help with the saved search. I even got emails after the bids offering me about $50 to $80 over the price to resell I decided NOT!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
Klink10

Cool....last couple of questions....is yours auto or manual? Does it make a difference in your opinion? Guess I'm looking for complete plug and play and the type of transmission not making a difference.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
Not easy it was like a part-time Job on Ebay and a little help with the saved search. I even got emails after the bids offering me about $50 to $80 over the price to resell I decided NOT!
cool, thanks! one last thing, so it has to be a canadian version cluster?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote