Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I know a guy that sorta beleives another guy,and hes got a time machine and says everyone drives the 80-100mpg electric/hydrogen/ethanol/solar hybrid turbo charged 220hp Yaris 5 door HB/sedan wih moon roof.Man I cant wait for the future,now I need to find someone that knows of someone that has a deep freeze freezer,and hope another person remebers to thaw me out after 10 years.IM LOVIN IT!
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #20
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
I'll be sure to keep mine around more than that amount of time. Only thing I'm not really feeling is that plastic rattle I still have and I can't find where it's coming from...might have to take apart the passenger side door panels and have me a look.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #21
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
please do not compare out car to the neon
that is the dumb ass shit they do to neons..... please, please shoot me if the Yaris ever gets to this point
Trust me I have seen worse Neons. I had several Neons Never had much of a problem. But my Yaris is way better.
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
no doubt we'll still be loving our yaris. i still love my '97 civic hatchback, even though my nephew now owns it. every now and then i'll still run into a modification that i'd like to do on it. but then again, im not like the majority of americans who trade their cars in after 4 years. most of my family keep their cars for around a decade...

--B
Same here, I still have fond memory of my 98 Hatch (which had 6K in upgrades). I hope my new Yaris will last me 10 years, but I'm not banking on it, since in 10yrs, the car will have accumilated 600,000km.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #23
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Same here, I still have fond memory of my 98 Hatch (which had 6K in upgrades). I hope my new Yaris will last me 10 years, but I'm not banking on it, since in 10yrs, the car will have accumilated 600,000km.
That is only 372,000 miles or so... when I used to change oil back in the day I used to see god knows how many Toyota's and Honda's with well over 400,000 miles, 643,700km... about 1/2 of those people used synthetic it's whole life, the other half bought em used and were just lucky i geuss
Old 03-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Cars are like girlfriends.. within a couple of years there will always be a new one that catches your eye
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #25
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Cars are like girlfriends.. within a couple of years there will always be a new one that catches your eye
Right on.

I've only had my Yaris for 8 1/2 months, and I'm already looking around.

The only cars I keep for a long time are the ones I dump too much money into (see my sig).
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #26
Pars

Quote:
That is only 372,000 miles or so... when I used to change oil back in the day I used to see god knows how many Toyota's and Honda's with well over 400,000 miles, 643,700km... about 1/2 of those people used synthetic it's whole life, the other half bought em used and were just lucky i geuss
Hopefully, I'm one of the lucky ones. The engine will have to be strong to stand-up to all the beating I'm giving it.

Switching to synthetic is going to be expensive since I do 8 oil-change/year, which will cost me about $350/year for the sync oil. That's a hefty price to pay for something that might not help in the long term. I can see how synthetic can help to keep the cylinder wall in above average condition, but that's not going to help an old engine that's been fatigued enough so that it's about to break from the constant pounding.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #27
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Hopefully, I'm one of the lucky ones. The engine will have to be strong to stand-up to all the beating I'm giving it.

Switching to synthetic is going to be expensive since I do 8 oil-change/year, which will cost me about $350/year for the sync oil. That's a hefty price to pay for something that might not help in the long term. I can see how synthetic can help to keep the cylinder wall in above average condition, but that's not going to help an old engine that's been fatigued enough so that it's about to break from the constant pounding.
you change your oil ever 5000 miles 8000km?

so you drive 40000miles 64000km a year?

and where are you getting your oil for some 40 bux?

just got mine done today with mobile 1 0-20 Fram filter.... $25

U buy the oil and filter and they will do it up at the local lub shop for nothin most of the time
"but that's not going to help an old engine that's been fatigued enough so that it's about to break from the constant pounding" There is not going to be a constant pounding if you use good oil and change is when needed
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #28
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I'll love my yaris more in 10 years cause then I won't have to pay for license plates ever again for it in montana.

Last edited by foober; 03-14-2007 at 12:59 AM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #29
Pars

Quote:
you change your oil ever 5000 miles 8000km?

so you drive 40000miles 64000km a year?

and where are you getting your oil for some 40 bux?

just got mine done today with mobile 1 0-20 Fram filter.... $25

U buy the oil and filter and they will do it up at the local lub shop for nothin most of the time
"but that's not going to help an old engine that's been fatigued enough so that it's about to break from the constant pounding" There is not going to be a constant pounding if you use good oil and change is when needed
Yep, I'm getting the oil changed at the Toyota dealership at every 8000km. Mobel-1 oil is about $10/Litre after tax here in Canada.

I'm not totally ruling out synthetic, but the Toyota oil seems to be holding up well between intervals (the old oil is still light & clear when it's ready to be changed out). Between changes, If the oil starts to get too dark, I'll probably switch to synthetic.

In my Old 98 Civic Hatch, I used Mobel-1 since new and I finally retired the car at 300,000km after I cracked the head gasket. I think the gasket went cause, I was driving flat-out for couple hours on oil that hadn't been changed in 24,000km or the engine head couldn't handle the hard use. I used to think that car was indestructible. Oh well, live and learn.