Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #109
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
This is my first and last post.
LOL. Ninja!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #110
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here's the EXTENDED WARRANTY we received from TOYOTA for the 2008 sedan that had the head cylinder gasket replaced under warranty . It came in the mail on CHRISTMAS EVE .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0600.jpg (108.2 KB, 201 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #111
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
lol, hershey, when using paint to edit a pic, use a more defined blue, took me a second to find the oil.

i find it very odd how a leak that will actually drip wont change the oil level, this is y i keep thinking its spilt oil. and how u say u clean it ever 500 km or so and there is more there. to me that is a significant leak.

i am glad i personally lucked out and dont have a leak. when i checked i did have gunk but no oil and definatly no dripping underneath.

may i ask what region you are in? your avatar only says east. possibally different climate conditions causing this?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #112
Hershey

Sorry you had to strain your eyes . Next time use the ZOOM of your computer . Not providing you /others any personal info that find our posts amusing and make wise remarks ( harassment ) .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-18-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #113
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Sorry you had to strain your eyes . Next time use the ZOOM of your computer . Not providing you /others any personal info that find our posts amusing and make wise remarks ( harassment ) .
The guy's right. I'm on a 24 inch flatscreen and I had to zoom 10x to see any blue circle.

For the record my car is fine. Just as well, you've blown this thing up to sound like every other Yaris on the block is gushing oil like a blown BP rig, and yet every one of your pictures has you digging around the engine bay to find miniscule accumulations of oil. There is never a spot on the ground under my car. There's never been a spot anywhere under the hood. And there is never any Windex anywhere near my engine bay. I run full syn and have had zero problems. I just did 1700 miles in 5 days going from Savannah, GA to New York City and back. Guess what? Nothing. Guess I got lucky...and from the looks of it, nearly everyone else here did too. Surprise.

There is a huge difference between notifying the YarisWorld community of a finding, and jamming the information down people's throats and bitching when the community reacts in a different way from what you expected. Nobody likes being told they have faulty cars. People will appreciate a "heads up". Yes, you have good information. But you went a completely wrong route in presenting it. How many different sectors of the forum are your threads in?

Glad you got your sedan fixed. But it is an isolated problem. Nine total Yarii out of hundreds of thousands built is not a widespread pandemic. It just isn't.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #114
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Way to be an ass to the one person who hasn't attacked you in this thread.

I know it's been said and will probably be ignored again but here goes - that looks more like a valve cover leak. This isn't really a big deal compared to a head gasket leak...
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #115
Hershey

" Way to be an ass to the one person who hasn't attacked you in this thread. "

Wrong .

" I know it's been said and will probably be ignored again but here goes - that looks more like a valve cover leak. This isn't really a big deal compared to a head gasket leak... "

Wrong again .
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #116
Hershey

" The guy's right. I'm on a 24 inch flatscreen and I had to zoom 10x to see any blue circle. "

Sorry for the inconvenience .

" For the record my car is fine. "

Good for you .

" Just as well , you've blown this thing up to sound like every Yaris on the block is gushing oil like a blown BP rig and yet every one of your pictures has you digging around the engine bay to find miniscule accumulations of oil "

No new car should be leaking oil from the head gasket . This is $28,000 invested in 2 cars with this problem . That cash might grow on tress for you , but not us .

There is a huge difference between notifying the YarisWorld community of a finding, and jamming the information down people's throats and bitching when the community reacts in a different way from what you expected. Nobody likes being told they have faulty cars. People will appreciate a "heads up". Yes, you have good information. But you went a completely wrong route in presenting it. " How many different sectors of the forum are your threads in? . "

No law against it . Not jamming it down anyones throat . You either take it in stride or leave it .

" Glad you got your sedan fixed. But it is an isolated problem. Nine total Yarii out of hundreds of thousands built is not a widespread pandemic. It just isn't. "

Thanks , but it may be losing coolant since the repair . How can you be so sure about the amount of cars ?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #117
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
" Way to be an ass to the one person who hasn't attacked you in this thread. "

Wrong .

" I know it's been said and will probably be ignored again but here goes - that looks more like a valve cover leak. This isn't really a big deal compared to a head gasket leak... "

Wrong again .
Well you win that argument. I now see exactly how I was wrong with all the facts you just provided me with those two words.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #118
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Well you win that argument. I now see exactly how I was wrong with all the facts you just provided me with those two words.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #119
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
No new car should be leaking oil from the head gasket . This is $28,000 invested in 2 cars with this problem . That cash might grow on tress for you , but not us .

Thanks , but it may be losing coolant since the repair . How can you be so sure about the amount of cars ?
I agree. A new car should not have a head gasket leak. With that said, an '08 sedan likely manufactured in '07 is not a new car. Besides, this engine has been around in largely the same form in the USA since the '04 xA/xB. If it was truly a head gasket leak, there would've been some sort of notice within the last seven to eight years.

Like the other guy said, checking for two drops of oil on a certain side of the engine is not a proper identifier for diagnosing something as serious as a leaky head gasket. Do the proper tests, or have a mechanic do the proper tests and then come back and talk. A full UV leakdown examination or physically taking the heads off is much more thorough than wiping the side of the engine with a Windex rag and calling it done. Running around checking other Yarii that don't belong to you is asinine. You posted your findings for your car and that's great. We all have the info we need to decide if our cars are suffering the same problems as well, and can go from there.

BTW, you only compound the problem by saying you choose not to believe what a service mechanic or salesman (IE PEOPLE THAT HAVE FULL EXPERIENCE WITH THESE CARS) says when they report their findings to you. That's the way to go about reporting your findings on a forum.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #120
Hershey

If that's what you believe then fine . It's not the valve cover gasket(s) , I always check that . Have been working with cars for about 30 years . We've posted the worksheet and many other pics for proof . We'll have to wait and see if TOYOTA has an T.S.B. or RECALL for this matter . We think it's a bad batch of head gaskets . Reason is the new head cylinder gasket has yet to leak oil . The service department that did the work sent the original head cylinder gasket to TOYOTA for examination of any imperfections . Called TOYOTA and was told they do not share their findings with the public ( consumer ) . Don't forget the two 2010 5 door Certified YARIS had fresh oil in that spot . One had little over 3,000 miles and the other less than 5,000 . Checked the valve cover and the upper back of the block ( passenger side ) for any oil spilled from an oil change(s) by dealer and none was to be found on top or on the back of the upper block ( passenger side ) of either one . So , you have your take and we have ours from our experience .
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #121
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Way to be an ass to the one person who hasn't attacked you in this thread.
lol, thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #122
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
lol, thanks
Way to go with the flow , Smoochie .
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #123
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
My son took his 08 yaris in to get it checked for head gasket leak they said it wasn't leaking here are some pics I took what do you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bens yaris 001.jpg (124.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg bens yaris 002.jpg (185.9 KB, 112 views)
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #124
Hershey

To us it looks wet as if to be loosing oil which collects road dust as in your pics . Run your fingertip under the head gasket to see if any oil collects on it . This is how I found our friends 2010 which leaks oil as our 2010 does and our 2008 did . Also look under the ledge of the block as in your picture to see if any oil has collected underneath . Like in the following pics from our 2 cars ( 08 at top , '10 below ). If you find any oil there you very likely have the leak .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0136.jpg (94.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0135.jpg (116.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 03-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #125
yaris2010RS

gonzo, the first pic u posted i would say is just road and "car" grime that settles there and sticks(as hershey will not accept, some oil is spilt when filling; if not from u then at the dealer and if not them from the factory), the second pic does look like it could have a leak at the gasket, it does look quite oilly. id say take some degreaser and spreay the crap out of the area, make sure it really well cleaned and take a pic of the clean spot and then check back in a few hundred km (or miles)

u definatly get bonus points for getting ur camera in that spot, very well done.

hershey for the record ur pics look extra "staged" or "serious" now with his pics next to it. the pics u posted look to have very fresh oil and a significant amount.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #126
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo452001 View Post
My son took his 08 yaris in to get it checked for head gasket leak they said it wasn't leaking here are some pics I took what do you guys think.
I do not see evidence of an oil leak that would cause me concern if it was my car. And I have worked as an auto mechanic! But the picture is beside the point. The only thing that matters is: are you adding significant ammounts of oil to the engine? If its using more than a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles there is a problem. Although for the record most automanufacturers consider a quart in 1000 miles to NOT be a warranty issue. If you think this might be a problem with your car I recommend placing a large sheet of cardboard under the engien at night. Check it for oil in the morning. A few drops of oil (like 5 or less) is not a cause for concern. Also with the engine running look under the car for oil dripping.

Not seeing oil drips with the engine running? No significant oil on the cardboard? (we're talking a puddle here) The dipstick reads full and you arent adding oil?

YOU DONT HAVE A PROBLEM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote