Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
vitzzz

Drives: VITZ
cvt

hi
is your yaris/vitz auto trans a cvt like we have here, Do you see any loss in power esp on take up from stop, like slipping or the engine rev up a bit excessive and car take up slowly. On motorways very good acceleration though
vitzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Auto Transmisssion in the States is a 4 speed normal tranny. No CVT offered but would like to see one as an option.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
we have the super ECT 4speed automatic transmission.. :)
i hell sure would like to have the CVT here.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
vitzzz

here dealers import the second hand from japan , they are all CVT transmissions.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Would love to see a cvt with the diesel engine. Would never have to stop for fuel. LOL
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
I hate a CVT tranny. Have not found anything good about it over a geared tranny.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
IllusionX

why would you hate it? it's the best thing ever engineered :)
Have you ever made a < 5mph stop (rolling) and gave it alot of throttle go to? on a CVT transmission, there's no choke and go. it just goes with a high rev. I love that when i'm on a hurry :P

also, for those who have not noticed, all of the CVT transmissions available in North America (see Ford and Nissan), the gas pedal only goes about 50% throttle. untill you hit the button behind it.. then there goes your redline, until about 60mph (from what i've seen anyways)
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
vitzzz

that s what i don t like the high revs too much every time
Old 04-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzzz View Post
that s what i don t like the high revs too much every time
go easy on the pedal, so it won't rev very high. it should go about 3000rpm if you go ~50% throttle (all the way before you hit the full throttle switch)

though, i'm not sure if that is how the yaris is made on a CVT.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
tinymilad

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 1.5I 5MT
I traded in my Yaris for a Sentra SL with CVT, I wasn't really sure about it at first, but now I really notice all the push and pulls of the traditional automatic. it's amazing how much smoother a car moves without shifting, to speed up you can just hold the gas paddle halfway and engine revs 3k ish and speed goes up quick, then when u are driving 60 the revs drop to 1.6 k to 2 k depending on uphill, downhill. Feels very smooth, saves a whole bunch of gas,.... if you are in a hurry you can just floor the gas and the rpm goes up to limit till you reach your desire speed, it does not over rev, it has call kinda safety futures, runs alot more efficient with less to go bad. lasts longer, less maintain required,... everything to love, you wont believe how you notice everylittle shift when u ride of drive in a traditional auto car after you get used to cvt, it's smooth and powerful.
tinymilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
When I wrecked my previous car the insurance company rented me a dodge caliber with CVT... It was a bit weird to get used to but I did like it (of course my previous car was an old, beat up, mitsu auto econo sedan and the "new" of the caliber might have more impressive to me) still not a big fan or autos, however...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
RazorTM
I've made a post!

Drives: 2006 Pink Vitz, 1.0L CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzzz View Post
hi
is your yaris/vitz auto trans a cvt like we have here, Do you see any loss in power esp on take up from stop, like slipping or the engine rev up a bit excessive and car take up slowly. On motorways very good acceleration though
I actually have a couple of problems with my CVT, and I hope that these problems are unique to my car and not common to all CVT vehicles:

1. If I come to a stop very slowly with very little brake pressure, at a certain point, about 10km/h or so, the engine/transmission seem to just cut off power to the wheels, so the car will jerk to a stop.

2. If I'm at a complete stop and need to get going quickly (making a turn across the oncoming lanes, for example), the car hesitates unless I take my foot completely off the brake for a full second or more before pressing the gas pedal.

3. When I floor it, the RPMs don't go up to the point of maximum power right away. Instead, the engine slowly revs up until it gets to that point, then stays there. Shouldn't the engine go straight up to the RPMs for maximum power when I throw my foot down? (I don't have an RPM gauge, just going off the sound of the engine and the feel of acceleration)

These problems really make my Vitz undriveable in certain situations. In many instances where I would easily be able to get through traffic in any of the previous cars I've owned, the Vitz just can't handle it, and I often end up sitting at intersections until the light turns red and I get the green arrow, probably pissing off the drivers behind me. I'm also considering buying a Lexus HS250h for my next car, which also has a CVT, so I'm worried that it will exhibit the same driveability problems as my Vitz. Is the Vitz CVT the issue? Should I have it checked out by Toyota? Or should I avoid CVTs in the future and stick with manual gear boxes? Thanks ahead for any advice.
RazorTM is offline   Reply With Quote